Find Files meeting File Size Criteria in Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jagooch, Mar 21, 2015.

1. jagooch macrumors regular

jagooch

I'm looking for a way to find files on my Mac HD that meet certain size criteria without resorting to the command line "find" command for ease of use reasons. I've figure out how to filter my name and have it ignore the contents, but I cannot see any way to specify file size criteria the way you can do in Windows search.

I've fairly certain that the problem is between the chair and the keyboard, but even google is not giving me results even close to what I am looking for.

An ideas that do not include opening a terminal window?

2. dyt1983, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

3. jagooch thread starter macrumors regular

jagooch

1) Search bar on finder window
    2) OS X 10.10.3 / Yosemite

Goal - Find all files in a directory tree, regardless of name, that meet file size criteria using a GUI application, just like you can do using Windows search.

4. dyt1983, Mar 22, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

5. jagooch thread starter macrumors regular

jagooch

I think we have the file size criteria part , I can't do a 100% test because search in finder won't display all of the files in the directory tree. It insists on having file name criteria and it will not accept a wildcard character ( * or % ) for the file name .

I'll test the file size criteria in a subset of my files and post my results when I get back to my computer.

6. dyt1983, Mar 22, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

7. jagooch thread starter macrumors regular

jagooch

Ok, we scored! I discovered that even though command+f isn't bringing up advanced finder options, if I click on File->Finder I get access to more advanced search criteria. It still fall a bit short for what I am doing, but I can search without a name filter which is the same as using a wildcard for the name.

I discovered some files that I wanted to exclude from the results by specifying "name does not contain", but those file had a size range outside of that of the files I was interested in. So, I added several file size filters to get a usable search. Also, I discovered that you can save the search, nice touch by Apple.

I feel that a dedicated "advanced search" button in the finder next to the "search" text window is in order, along with a greatly expanded search feature chock full of regular expressions and boolean operators.

But hey, for now, I can get the job done. Thanks for your help.

8. dyt1983, Mar 22, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816