Find lost iPhone by serial number only?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ericg301, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping you guys can help.

FedEx lost my iPhone 4.

I sold it on eBay after getting my iPhone 5. Printed out the label, slapped it on a package and dropped it off at a FedEx drop box. It's MIA. Over a month later, it has yet to appear in the FedEx tracking system. Gone. Poof.

Of course I completely cleared the phone, so it's not like I can use "Find My Phone," but I still have the serial number. Is there anyway to track it down via that?

I've filed a claim with FedEx, which they've denied. Since it was never in their system in the first place, they can't take responsibility for it. I guess I can understand their reasoning, but I'm pissed because I was guaranteed $235 to help subsidize my iPhone 5.

2. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Did you go to the store and have them ship it out there? If so, I don't see why it wasn't in their system at all.

3. ericg301 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No - eBay gave me a pre-printed label to put on the package, so I just taped it on there and put in at FedEx dropbox.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I don't think there's anything you can do.

If you're shipping something that expensive then you need to get proof of postage for it.

5. ericg301 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have proof of postage. I have a copy of the FedEx label. But since it never made it into the system, it's gone.

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That's not proof of postage.

I assume that when you placed it into the "drop box", you didn't actually get anything to prove you've done that?

If you didn't, then what's to say that you didn't just print off a label for a non-existent item?

7. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

That's not proof of postage. No one can prove you actually put it in the box. Next time you ship something this expensive, go to the store and get a receipt for the shipment.

8. ericg301 thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

a few rough posters.

The OP did what most (not all apparently) would assume was sufficient for tracking. If something is dropped in a FEDEX box with a label, then it gets scanned when opened and tracked.

Apparently the person that opened the box did not scan it.

Can not really blame the OP. And, can not blame FEDEX since they have zero proof either.

Just out of luck.