Find my iPhone improvement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DarkAnnie, May 25, 2012.

1. DarkAnnie macrumors member

DarkAnnie

If I was stealing an iPhone, (or an iPad for that matter) the first thing I'd do would be turning the phone off so it couldn't be located with find my iPhone. This could easily be fixed if you had to put in your pin to turn it off, and the thief simply had to wait for the phone to die in order for it to be off the grid. This way, if someone stole my phone, it would be active and traceable till it ran out of battery, or the thief would have to smash it to get it off, which would be, well, less of an option. ;)
    I can't see a downside to having this feature implemented?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or till the theif restored it or took out the sim.

3. 7DSniper macrumors regular

Or got a screwdriver removed the back and took the battery out.

4. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

If you're jailbroken a app is iCaughtU. It prevents the thief from turning off or dfu restoring the phone. And also if the perp tries to figure out your passcode it'll send you an email with a picture and a location.

5. DarkAnnie thread starter macrumors member

DarkAnnie

I know the sim can be taken out, or the battery removed, but that requires tools and takes time. I would say if you are an average dishonest person and not a professional iPhone thief, where the first is most likely to be the one taking your phone, doing that type of tinkering would not happen in 2 seconds, like turning it off would do.

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I have app locker on mine so the finder could not simply go into settings and turn it off which hopefully would give me a little longer to wipe it !!

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The major problem with this is that there's always going to have to be something you can press when the phone freezes (i.e. the Home and Power Button).

Such a restart could put the phone into a state where it's not communicating with Find My iPhone (e.g. if they have a SIM PIN enabled).

Find My iPhone has far bigger security problems than being able to turn off the device.

They prompt you for your Apple ID password when you turn on iMessage, but not when you turn Find My iPhone off. That's crazy to me.