Finder issues...file can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by donl1150, Feb 14, 2017.

1. donl1150 macrumors newbie

In the last few days, my 13” Mid-2011 MacBook Air has been having issues with Finder. The following Favorites in the Sidebar (Desktop, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures, Documents and my personal folder) all give me the same error message when I click on them…..”“xxxxxxx” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.

Any idea what is going on and how I correct it?

This is my system:

MacBook Air 4,2
    13” Mid-2011 Model
    1.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    256 GB Memory
    Sierra v10.12.3

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Can you browse to those folders OK, without touching the Sidebar icons?

3. RobinInOR macrumors 6502

RobinInOR

Ive had that problem accessing external servers. Restarting the finder usually clears it up. Hold down the cmd key when you right click the finder icon in the dock, and choose restart. Or is it the option key? I cant remember lol..

4. donl1150 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think so. When I use Finder to go this path: Devices > HHD Name > Users > username. All the folders appear here. The thing that is weird though is my username has (deleted) after it. Not sure how (deleted) got there.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2017 ---
    I tried that. Didn't help.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Deleting your Finder preferences (at ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist) and rebooting could possibly clear that up. You might have to reconfigure your preferences to your liking afterwards.

6. donl1150, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

donl1150 thread starter macrumors newbie

Pardon my asking....how do I get to that..... ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

FOUND IT.

Deleted the plist files (3 of them) but the problem remains.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Is is possible that my user account name has changed and that is causing the problem? I don't recall changing it but perhaps I did. Still learning my way around Mac stuff.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Here's a couple of methods to get there, among others.
    You can get there from "Go to Folder", under the Go menu.
    Or you see your user library folder by pressing Option while the Go menu is visible.

8. donl1150 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Did you restart your Mac, before trying the sidebar icons?
    If you did not, you will need to delete the same file again, then restart your Mac before trying the sidebar.
    If that still does not help, go to the same folder, and delete the file com.apple.sidebarlists.plist
    Again, restart your Mac after deleting that files (the file will be replaced by cached copy, restarting will assure that the .plist is newly built.

You would remember if you changed your user account name, as the process is still quite involved.
    And, an account name change, per se, would not affect your original question.

10. donl1150 thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2017 ---
    Sorry, I have been gone a while. Had a hard crash :( and had to get a replacement and then do a total restore. Thankfully I keep current on my backups with Time Machine. First time I had had to use it. I must say it WORKS! Only complaint is it does take a long time. Best to start it and let it run overnight. Now bak to the issue.......

I have deleted com.apple.sidebarlists.plist but the problem remains - "xxxxxxx cannot be opened because the original file cannot be found". Still appreciate any ideas.

11. donl1150 thread starter macrumors newbie

2/21/2017 Update:

I was able go get a phone help desk session with Apple. They connected to my screen to see what was happening. They discovered the items in question were simply shortcuts that were not working. The actual folders in question were working just fine. They did have a bit of a struggle to get the shortcuts removed however. What finally worked was to hold Command while dragging the icon to the desktop. They simply disappeared when doing that. Problem solved.

That was the first time I have ever contacted Apple support. I must say I was extremely impressed. After about a 15 second wait, I was doing an on line chat with them. After running through a few suggested procedures with them, they wanted to elevate it to a telephone chat. Again after another 15 second wait, Apple called me! They then connected to my screen to see exactly what was happening. They guided me through a few procedures and in about 10 minutes the problem was solved. Thanks Apple! And thanks to all here at the Forum as well!!

12. cswifx Suspended

cswifx

The simplest way to solve it would be to use the Go To Folder... option and just enter '~/', but I guess Apple solved your issue.