Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
since updating to Yosemite I have noticed my Finder windows never remember their default size for new windows. Previously I would open the Finder, resize it to my liking and close the window - from then on new windows would open in that size. Now Yosemite only remembers my size for the first 1 or 2 new windows I open before defaulting back to the ridiculously small original default.

I have tried correcting permissions and deleting the thumbs.db file in my home folder (which is the folder all my my Finder windows open to). Other than the possibility of this being a Yosemite bug Apple need to fix, can anybody offer other ideas to fix this? It's the only issue I have with Yosemite and it's driving me nuts.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
"How to fix"? Beats me.

Size remains same for me, for the most part. Where the window changes size is if I double-click on an external drive's icon on the desktop: then the window takes on new sizes and I have to do the resize and close trick.

My peeve is that the window is now opening in the middle of the screen, where I don't want it. Same trick as window size: move to location desired and close immediately, then reopen to keep location on screen.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
If you run out of options, a free app called Finder Minder (google it) opens Finder windows in the exact same size and position as you set. Benn using it for years since OSX eventually forgets the last Finder position and size pretty easily.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
If you run out of options, a free app called Finder Minder (google it) opens Finder windows in the exact same size and position as you set. Benn using it for years since OSX eventually forgets the last Finder position and size pretty easily.

i'll check that out. have the same issue here...

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere

I am really grateful to you for drawing my attention to FinderMinder.
I have been looking for a solution for months now. Nothing worked. I reached a state when I did not want to click on Finder. This little app solved my problem.
Merry Christmas!

McCoyDesign

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2015
Australia
Finder window size

This finally solved the issue for me. It is still a bug that apple need to fix but this does work:

"Once you change the window's size try moving the window away from its current location then move it back. I have found this to be a minor bug in the Finder that it does not save a dimension change until you move the window. It does save the positional change that in turn changes the size information.
Be sure you open the Finder window by double-clicking on the Desktop disk icon, not the icon in the Dock."

SOURCE:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6842524

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
This finally solved the issue for me. It is still a bug that apple need to fix but this does work:

"Once you change the window's size try moving the window away from its current location then move it back. I have found this to be a minor bug in the Finder that it does not save a dimension change until you move the window. It does save the positional change that in turn changes the size information.
Be sure you open the Finder window by double-clicking on the Desktop disk icon, not the icon in the Dock."

SOURCE:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6842524

Thank you for sharing.
Does it work even after you reboot/restart your computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.