Finder works slow(VERY SLOW) on Leopard even after ERASE AND INSTALL

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HyPnOTiC-NeO2, Mar 13, 2009.

1. HyPnOTiC-NeO2 macrumors newbie

Ok, so here's the thing, I had problems with Finder, it just crashed on me when I opened folders that had a bit more files. I have an 24" iMac with v10.5, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I bought it a year ago, add a month or so... So after I got all the glitches with Finder, I transported Applications, Documents, Music, Pictures and some other folders on my desktop to an external Hard Disk, when I finished with ERASE & INSTALL, Finder doesn't crash, but it's VERY VERY slow, for example, in my iTunes Music folder, I have about 560 folders, and when I click SELECT ALL(on the keyboard) it stops for maybe a minute or so, and then I try to copy them to a folder, when i try to drag them, it stops for 2 minutes or so... I haven't even copied much from the external Hard Disk. Except going back to Tiger, is there any other way, because my iMac is...not new, but not old enough to have those glitches... PLEASE HELP ME, this isn't the first time, this is actually my 3rd time doing a reinstall, 2 ARCHIVE AND INSTALL's and 1 ERASE AND INSTALL... what could it be???

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds like your harddrive is having hardware problem and going to die soon.

Back up data. Get new harddrive.

3. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

You could install OS X on your external and see for sure if your hard drive is the culprit. Just a thought:cool:

4. HyPnOTiC-NeO2 thread starter macrumors newbie

that was what I was thinking of asking:p im gonna try:D but wait, my external hard disk runs on USB...can it work like that?

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Intel Macs can easily boot OSX on variety of volumes such as
    - USB harddrive
    - Firewire harddrive
    - Optical disks
    - Even network boot

6. HyPnOTiC-NeO2 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. HyPnOTiC-NeO2 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so I couldn't do that, because I had to erase the whole HARD DRIVE, and I have a lot of things in it, which will take ages to copy somewhere...BUT, i did a hardware test, it found no problems, than I tried pressing D while starting mac with MAC dvd v10.4.10 inside, but it took too long so restarted and ejected the DVD, after the mac started up, I tried copying a big folder of music, and in the process, there was a message like: PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER(or smth like that, I don't remember how it was exactly) but I did some searching and it said that it's a KERNEL PANIC, which may be caused by HARDWARE/SOFTWARE error, and because I ruled out software(because I already did an ERASE and INSTALL) i think I've confirmed that this is a hard drive error, but can the fact that I did that with the mac dvd, make that error show(the one with PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR COMUTER...etc)? tell me if you have no idea what I'm talking about, because I lost my concentration at the second sentence, lol:p

8. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

longest run on sentence ever!

But seriously, get a new harddrive.

9. HyPnOTiC-NeO2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know where I can get one online? Or just, what it's spec's have to be?

10. automan98 macrumors member

It does sound hardware related. Do you have access to TechTool Delux from Applecare? That's worth a try.

11. OneBlueFire macrumors member

OneBlueFire

Based on everything I've read so far, looks like your hard drive may be failing very soon. You should back everything up and get a new one.

There're tons of places to purchase SATA HDs... I'm sure you won't have a hard time finding one.

Now, about the Kernel Panic: Your drive probably wasn't able to access some data that the OS needed to function properly at that time, therefore shutting down your system to prevent damage to its file-structure.

About backing everything up: Try firewire between 2 macs. That WON'T take ages... Another solution is to just take your mac or its HD to the store where you're buying your new hard drive from. I'm sure they'll be glad to back everything up for you or even move everything to the new hard drive. A smile at one of their employees and being extremely cheerful and nice when you ask them to help you out will go a VERY long way. =)

12. HyPnOTiC-NeO2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol, very nice answer, thank you, and the thing is that at the APPLE STORE, all of the employees are girls:) it's gonna be fun:D lol THANK YOU EVERYONE