Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Hi everyone.

I'm running 10.3.6. Is there a way to list the top, say, 25 biggest files on my computer? I have a feeling some file is hogging a bunch of space on my computer, I just can't find it. I tried using Apple Find, but, strangly, I can't find it in my applications folder or my utilities folder. What gives?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
MacFan25863 said:
Hi everyone.

I'm running 10.3.6. Is there a way to list the top, say, 25 biggest files on my computer? I have a feeling some file is hogging a bunch of space on my computer, I just can't find it. I tried using Apple Find, but, strangly, I can't find it in my applications folder or my utilities folder. What gives?

can't you just do a find, specifying the file size..? then sort by file size..? (you must specify "everywhere" or add specific places where you think files may be.) just in case, most apps are actually folders with sources underneath, so they may not be as big as you are thinking at individual file levels.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
T-I-Double-Guh-Err

Tiger! Spotlight will do this for you. At least, it better do this for me.
Hmmm. Interesting question... I think you can do this already. Yeah. Just go to the Finder, press Comand+F, and where it says "Name" or whatever just click on it and change it to "Size." (First drop down list) Now enter a number like a few GB and click on search! So you don't need Tiger to do this.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Mechcozmo said:
T-I-Double-Guh-Err

Tiger! Spotlight will do this for you. At least, it better do this for me.
Hmmm. Interesting question... I think you can do this already. Yeah. Just go to the Finder, press Comand+F, and where it says "Name" or whatever just click on it and change it to "Size." (First drop down list) Now enter a number like a few GB and click on search! So you don't need Tiger to do this.

Doh! I didn't even think of doing that. I was thinking Find was an app in the utilities folder. I'm such a dunce at times, espically considering I've used Find before :rolleyes:

Guess I'm blonde for a reason...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.