finger sensor, not fingerprint sensor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by c.s., Sep 9, 2013.

1. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

I'm starting to wonder if the bigger narrative that Apple will promote will be a home button that responds to pressure and taps like a trackpad. Think how useful it would be to double-tap to bring up the app switcher, instead of clicking on that easily-breakable, archaic button. Or simply leaving your thumb in place to bring up Siri. Then Apple can promote the 5S as a "revolutionary" way to interact with your phone. Fingerprints/security/payments as a secondary selling point.

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

1. I've had five iPhones. My home button has never broken or come close to breaking. Therefore I don't see how you can claim "...that easily-breakable, archaic botton".

2. Tapping would lead to too many mistakes. It's not hard to press the home button twice.

3. KooL BeAnZ macrumors regular

While the home button has never broke on me, it is easily evident that the button loses its 'clickiness' and stiffness after around 2 months for me.

Not saying it needs to go but it gets worn out very quickly.

4. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I recently replaced the Home button on my friend's iPhone 4. And, while it did work, you had to press is multiple times sometime before it even registeres a "click." Suffice to say, it would have annoyed me if it were my daily communicator...fortunately, I use Activator on my jailbroken iPhone 5 to keep from using/wearing out its Home button.

5. absurdamerica macrumors regular

So have I and I've had the home button flake out twice as well as the lock button twice.

Anecdotal experiences are obviously of limited value in these types of discussions.

6. ALMF macrumors regular

I think more often than not, when a button wears down and stops working is due to heavy handed people

7. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

I think it will respond to swipes rather than pressure. Certain swipes can be set up as a shortcut to launch various apps or call a specific person. For example: Swipe up on sensor calls your mom, swipe left to right opens Facebook, etc. Authentec did something very similar with a previous phone. All speculation right now, but we’ll see tomorrow.

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Certainly possible. Not one person around me has ever had issues with the home button. And, almost everyone around me uses the iPhone.

Wife
    Mother
    Father
    Mother-in-law
    Father-in-law
    Sister-in-law
    3 Uncles
    4 Aunts

I don't even want to count friends and cousins - too many. Sure all phones will have some issues, but I don't believe it's as high as some may think. Else, there would be major reports of home buttons breaking. In four years of using the iPhone...not one person around me has had issues. I take it from that experience that for the most part the home button is fine.

9. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

To be fair, since they have reinforced the home button, I don't think I know anyone who has had any problems with it.

10. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

I've never had an issue with any of the buttons, including the home button, on any of the iPhones I've owned, keep in mind I've owned everyone but the iPhone 5.

The only related issue I've had, is that the Silence toggle on my 3Gs was very stiff until it broke in, which took like two weeks.

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

lol, no

if one is just gonna tap w/out feedback then they would just make the button part of the screen instead.

12. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

IMO it would be better if it had swipe gestures like on the ipad.

Ex. Swipe with two fingers to bring up multitasking, pinch to go to home.