Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
While I love the iPad (for the most part), I can't help but laugh at Apple's claims:

"Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating"

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Now, Apple isn't saying that the oleophobic coating MITIGATES the issue of fingerprints. They very specifically use the word "resistant."

How is that even legal? :confused::confused:

I lol'ed, in any case...

photo-25.jpg

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
It doesn attract the fingerprints, but when the screen is on, they aren't noticeable.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Don't eat pizza while using your iPad.

Seriously, wash your hands.

Imagine how bad it would have been without that coating.

My hands are very clean. I was thinking some more about it...

Fingerprint resistant != fingerprint OIL resistant.

Lame! I guess I'll just suck the oils out of my hands before using the iPad. :p:apple:

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
It is fingerprint resistant. If you get oily or greasy fingerprints on the screen, they wipe off easily because of the coating. On the first iPhone model and the 3G, all that stuff would dry and adhere to the screen, making it a pain to wipe off. Not so on the 3GS and iPad, it comes off easily with a couple of swipes on a sleeve or a pant leg.

There isn't, to my knowlege, such a thing as fingerprint proof or "fingerprint resistant" in the way you are wishing.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
It is fingerprint resistant. If you get oily or greasy fingerprints on the screen, they wipe off easily because of the coating. On the first iPhone model and the 3G, all that stuff would dry and adhere to the screen, making it a pain to wipe off. Not so on the 3GS and iPad, it comes off easily with a couple of swipes on a sleeve or a pant leg.

Wipe off "easily?" Are you kidding. I find it much harder to clean my iPad than my 3GS, that's for sure..

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Wipe off "easily?" Are you kidding. I find it much harder to clean my iPad than my 3GS, that's for sure..

No, I'm not kidding, I don't find it that hard to wipe the screen off, a few swipes of a tissue usually does the job. I guarantee you that if there was no coating you'd need a damp paper towel or a cloth to clean it.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008

Yeah, its like water-resistant fabic. Water still might stay on the surface of the fabic, but it doesn't get embedded in it and can be wiped off easily.

I just take my sleeve and wipe it down after using it if the fingerprints look particularily bad. Although, I haven't had any issues seeing them when the screen is on, they seem to dissapear.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I also find it just as easy to wipe off the fingerprints as on my 3GS. If you have ever had an earlier gen iPhone or iPod Touch, it is obvious how much of a difference the screen coating makes.

It might seem like it is harder to get the screen clean just because there is going to be more oily residue on it after a period of use compared to an iPhone simply because of the extra screen area.

The most important thing when cleaning any of these devices is to make sure whatever you are wiping it with is as clean as possible. I rinse off the microfiber cloths that come with most Apple products these days every once in a while and it makes them much more effective.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
No, I'm not kidding, I don't find it that hard to wipe the screen off, a few swipes of a tissue usually does the job. I guarantee you that if there was no coating you'd need a damp paper towel or a cloth to clean it.

Oh believe me I realize. But even then I can't believe how filthy it gets!

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Cant wait for the fingerprint proof protector that is the same one I got from apple for my iPhone. Non glare as well.

Im sure whatever company that makes those, will make one for the iPad.

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
while using it the fingerprints are not noticeable at all. when it is in sleep mode the screen looks somebody rubbed their greasy face all over it :eek:

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.

There isn't, to my knowlege, such a thing as fingerprint proof or "fingerprint resistant" in the way you are wishing.

Ahh. That makes sence.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
If you took that original picture with the iPad turned on, you would have trouble seeing any fingerprints unless you tried to make them show up by changing the angle or making the screen all black. With it on you can't see them at all. I'm personally not obsessive enough to worry about how it looks when the screen is off, but I'm sure someone might be.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
If you took that original picture with the iPad turned on, you would have trouble seeing any fingerprints unless you tried to make them show up by changing the angle or making the screen all black. With it on you can't see them at all. I'm personally not obsessive enough to worry about how it looks when the screen is off, but I'm sure someone might be.

I can definitely see the "streaks" of fingerprints with the screen on. No question, especially if there's any ambient light.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
While I love the iPad (for the most part), I can't help but laugh at Apple's claims:

"Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating"

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Now, Apple isn't saying that the oleophobic coating MITIGATES the issue of fingerprints. They very specifically use the word "resistant."

How is that even legal? :confused::confused:

I lol'ed, in any case...

photo-25.jpg

Well "resistant" doesn't mean it's fingerprint proof. But I'm still not sure that's the best word. It gets smuggy very easily and quickly. Ha, ha, they aren't actually finger "prints" just finger smuges.

It is to the point where you notice it easily even with the device on.

But the smuges do come off perfectly with a glasses cloth. I have a "best skins ever" skin coming which I hope will resolve this.

Smackfu

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
If you took that original picture with the iPad turned on, you would have trouble seeing any fingerprints unless you tried to make them show up by changing the angle or making the screen all black.
Yeah, if you try the Kindle reader with a black background it's pretty awful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.