Fingerprint sensor - serious matter

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rovex, Sep 10, 2013.

1. rovex macrumors 65816

Not that i think people will get their little fingers cut off, but could easily see people get hurt from potential robbers wanting that phone unlocked when they steal it, especially among the women.

2. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

Then just unlock it. I'd rather keep my finger than my phone.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Most robbers are looking to get away as quick as possible. So I don't see this a being a big problem.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

5. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

Forget the robbers, my concern lies with wondering whether or not this thing will capture your fingerprint regardless of whether you turn on the feature or you don't.

Personally, I'd rather not have my fingerprint digitally stored on my phone. I'd have zero issues with this feature if it wasnt built into a button that I absolutely have to use.

6. rovex thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, I do agree.

that is a very real problem too.

7. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Why? The government has your finger print anyways.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sumbody is been watching too much mob movies.

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You're pushing it wrong. Wear a glove.

10. rovex thread starter macrumors 65816

I did have to give fingerprints for my passport, so i guess i am in the system.

otherwise, i don't recall ever giving my fingerprint to any other government body.

11. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

Well, now they can 100% track you without a shadow of a doubt by tying your phone location to your fingerprinted login.

12. fender57 macrumors 6502

WTF? Nobody is going to want your phone bad enough to cut off your finger.

13. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Is that a new requirement? I don't remember giving mine for my passport. Though they have them anyways for a couple licenses in the past (Merchant Marine, etc).

14. Smith288 macrumors 6502a

Smith288

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Remember when you were a child, and they took your fingerprints for safety records in case of abduction, kidnapping, etc.?

If I remember right, your fingerprints don't change, so if they took them then, they've had them for a long while.

BL.

16. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I think if a robber was ballsy/crazy enough to cut off a finger to access an iPhone they would be targeting bigger things than to steal an iPhone.

17. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

Having them is one thing.

Having them tied to a location everytime you unlock your mini computer/phone, or to all activity done on said device after unlocking it is another thing.

Now this is all hypothetical of course, but Apple has only stated that the digital fingerprint is not stored in the cloud. They've said nothing about what applications, system logs, etc have access to and or tie back to that fingerprint.

18. AJAAY macrumors regular

Just scream you have the iPhone 5 as they are ripping it from your hands. That should deter them to stay away from your fingers.

19. kemperman macrumors regular

kemperman

I think petty theft and GBH are to wildly different crimes and thus incur different penalties, this will probably deter most petty criminals from 'cutting your finger off.' Like with most things, the criminal community are more likely to find a technological solution to this new problem

20. octatonic macrumors regular

octatonic

21. skidbubble macrumors 6502

Could this be the start of "fingerprint-gate"? :confused::confused::eek:

22. flynnst0ne macrumors regular

Actually they don't have your fingerprints, unless you've submitted to a background check. Passports and other forms of government ID do not require a fingerprint, however this will all change with the 5S. :)

Just think of the possibilities, access to all iphone users fingerprints, and location information real time!

23. rovex thread starter macrumors 65816

But some will clearly get you to unlock it, and if you don't you could still be harmed.

24. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

It is stored on your phone and it has to be. But it is not uploaded to apple servers or iCloud.

25. rovex thread starter macrumors 65816

With all due respect they said the same about saved data on hard drives and they can even access those now.

If they want it they'll have it.