FingerPrint Sensor/TouchID Privacy Concerns?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Unlike the passcode, which is stored local to your phone and not uploaded to Apple servers or anywhere else... is anyone else worried about the privacy issues with the fingerprint sensor/TouchID? If it was strictly for security, with the TouchID being local to your phone like the passcode and not uploaded to Apple servers, this wouldn't be an issue....

but what if your fingerprint/TouchID does get uploaded to Apple servers all the time so Apple has this huge biometric repository of everyones fingerprints? Should this be a cause for concern? If there was an API... would developers be able to "collect" your "fingerprint/TouchID"?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think that there is anything to worry about as I don't think that there will be a fingerprint scanner on the iPhone announced today.

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I would imagine it is going to be a local thing, there would be way too much privacy concerns if there was a way to upload it. TBH, I think apple will keep the API for fingerprint scanning to themselves for now, and open it in time, like with Siri.

4. numlock, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

numlock macrumors 68000

if rumors are true i find it hugely concerning and the only way you could get the genuine opinion on this board is this was a google idea or product

i find it offensive that people are willing to giving up their fingerprint in the name of security and convenience on a phone. to me it says everything about the world today or at least what the world is becoming.

regarding whether its local or not i guess that would mean it wouldnt be backed to your icloud account and if you purchased a new device(s) you would have to do it again and again?

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Why is everyone so concerned if their fingerprint gets out there?

I leave my fingerprints all over the place everyday. Multiple agencies already have my fingerprint.

6. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Why would you backup a fingerprint to iCloud? The object is to secure the phone, not the cloud. If there is a touch sensor in the phone today (I'm also still skeptical), then the comparison points will be stored only on the phone and not be accessible by an API.

For what it's worth, your actual fingerprint isn't stored.. it would be unique reference points.

7. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

You have to set up your passcode again when restoring from a backup. You'd most likely need to set up the fingerprint sensor again too.

8. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

Your fingerprint will not be transmitted wirelessly. Your fingerprint would be used to authorize an action on you phone and then your phone would transmit approval. Since anyone recieving this authorization would not even have your fingerprint to begin with, there would be no reason to send it to them as they would have nothing to compare it against.

9. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

This.

Apple wouldn't jeopardize your security, I think they're a little weary of messing up key features after the Maps fiasco.

10. numlock macrumors 68000

ok. i was just speculating. we will find out soon enough how they will implement this.

leaving your fingerprints on whatever you touch and having a company that just wants your cash having your fingerprint as well as other data is not the same thing in my mind

11. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

These days there's another entity to worry about when it comes to privacy. The NSA. I generally don't worry about other companies listening in on my phone calls, because they don't care have no reason to. The NSA has been proven to do so, even without reasonable cause. They'll see the Touch ID as a gold mine.