Fingerprint..still using passcodes heres why

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Oct 14, 2013.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I have realised how many different fingers I use to unlock my phone and sometimes I find I can't be bothered pressing my thumb over the phone to unlock it.

For it to really take off it should unlock right from sleep mode (Not go onto Siri).

And people say it works great, true..sometimes. It's 50/50 if it recognizes my print and it still wants iTunes passwords for extra security all the time.

It has potential but it's all very Beta siri at the moment. They could put the finger print sensor on the Ipad but it won't really make much odds.

And they should have added a proper silver ring round the Space grey model to be honest. And a shortcut to the finger print sensor as shown on launch should be there like Facetime now but it's away in a menu.

2. webwbr macrumors member

Why not just register more than one of your one thumb? I did both left/right thumbs and left/right index fingers.

What other fingers do you use on the home button?

:D

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

For me, thumb and first index finger on both hands.

Press the home button to wake it up and then let the home button out but keep your thumb on it to be read by the sensor. No need to hold it down and summon the fury of Siri.

Works 99.99999% of the time for me. In fact, it hasn't failed recently so I believe others when they say it "learns" your prints and scans become more accurate.

I don't have a link but the conditions for requiring a passcode for both the unlock and iTunes purchases are documented.

4. Sean006 macrumors 6502

yeah i dont understand the problem...works with one movement..press down keep thumb on...sometimes its too quick..

5. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Me too. Works beautifully that way with any of the fingers I ever use. Does the OP randomly decide he needs to use a pinky to unlock the phone? :confused:

I love Touch ID.

6. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Most of this sounds like user error. It shouldn't ever have to go to Siri etc. Ask someone who has the 5s to show you how to use it so you can give it a fair chance.

7. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Glad I am not the only one that thought this.

I check my phone often to see the time, or if I have any notifications and I keep accidentally finding myself on the home screen because the Touch ID works so quick.

8. Joybulb macrumors regular

Joybulb

Yes! I just posted about this, glad I'm not the only one thinking this.

9. jerbeck24 macrumors member

I agree whole-heartedly with this. I wanted space gray, but this kept me from getting it. I went with silver instead...

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Blame the security nut jobs for this not apple.

11. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I noticed mine would have difficultly after a shower, so I decided to reteach the fingers I use (thumbs and index fingers). Since then, reliability as been almost 100% (I would say dozens of times since then, which was about four days ago).

I suspect that besides removing any extra oils [during bathing], the tissue might change after prolonged exposure to water. When the sensor is taught at this point, it probably is able to get better quality data points, so later, when the finger is in a more normal condition, the sensor is still able to establish a match. Just my 2¢ worth since I'm certainly no expert on skin (though I have do have experience on the electronics side).

Apple has some more details on how TouchID works in this KB: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5883

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I agree. I don't know what Siri even has to with this. Click once, pause, lift. Simple. This is definitely an end user problem.

13. Radiating macrumors 65816

agreed

14. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

If the user holds down the home button without letting it come back up (the phone reads the finger and seamlessly unlocks and then) Siri comes up.

He said, "For it to really take off it should unlock right from sleep mode (Not go onto Siri)." The fact is that this is precisely what it does, but it is working better and faster than he expects, so that he shoots pass the home screen and straight to Siri and then misunderstands that it is the system's fault.

One advantage of the Touch ID is that we can now disable Siri for the lock screen (better security, so other people cannot use it) and still retain the same convenience as if it is enabled. If you want the home screen, press the home button and let it come back up. If you want Siri (even when phone is locked and Siri disabled for the lock screen), press the home button and hold it down.

15. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Works fine for me. Don't hold down the button and Siri wouldn't popup if you are just wanting to unlock the device.

16. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

you are clearly using it wrong. Press the button, let go, but leave your finger on the scanner. It usually take ~1 second for me 90% of the time, and 2-3 seconds 10% of the time if im going at it in a funky angle.

Siri wont come up unless you HOLD down the button. and i mean hold for like 2-3 seconds.

i stored my two thumbs, then the index/middle on my right hand and my index finger on my left hand. 5 fingers.

17. xraytech macrumors 68020

18. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

OP:

I suspect you're doing it wrong. It sounds like you're continuously holding the home button down expecting it to read from that position. That's not how it works.

1. briefly depress home button with a registered thumb or finger. (this brings up the lock screen and wakes up the phone)

2. let thumb REST on the home button for a second or two, do NOT depress button for this aspect, and the phone WILL unlock.

It's as simple as that.

19. alcc819 macrumors newbie

I registered four same fingers but still doesn't work.
    Try to use the rubber to wipe the button,it works for me.

20. Marli macrumors regular

Yeh. Good idea. Bit it has to be a lot better than it is. Just doesn't work well enough right now.

I think the humidity or moisture on your finger has to be just perfect to get it to be reliable.

About a 20% hit rate.

21. terzinator macrumors 6502

Not sure how this would have changed the functionality... or do you just want to be reminded that you own the latest and greatest? (sarcasm)

Agree that sometimes it works TOO well... So, i'll sometimes just quickly tap the home button with a non ID finger if I wanna see alerts. But when I want to get into the phone, dayum, Touch ID is instantaneous. I love it.

22. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

That pretty much sums up my thoughts. Touch ID is here to stay, I hope. Awesome addition. Only problem I have is when I'm on the lock screen and I want to bring up the music controls with a double click. The darn thing is too fast sometimes!

23. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

cool story

24. takeshi74, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Works great for some and not so much for others. I'm in the former camp. Do whatever works for you.

Already covered above but it does if you don't hold the button down. It has taken off. You don't care for it. Those are two entirely different matters.

Not sure what honesty has to do with it. It's what you'd like. I wouldn't. Don't assume that subjective matters aren't just because you add the word "honest".

25. hansonjohn590 macrumors 6502

It works nice but they really need to cut down on the frequency of putting in a pass code.

It makes absolutely no sense to put a pass-code for the App store every two days or so, does Apple not true the reliability of their own sensor?