Fingerprint technology under fire only after Apple introduces their 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Serelus, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Basically, fingerprint technology has been around for years... alot of laptops certain Windows tablets and keyboards use fingerprints for the exact same purpose apple is applying it now.

So why is it that when Apple introduces such a feat it suddenly needs to be investigated?

2. bgro macrumors 6502a

3. Serelus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Serelus

So whats the difference? Apple being the producer? All the products that've been out there for years are in the masses as well.

4. jclardy macrumors 68030

jclardy

Exactly, most fingerprint scanners were hacked on to hardware devices and barely integrated software wise. They also required swiping your finger. On the iPhone you literally just hold your finger on the same button that you use to turn the phone on. No change in usage patterns.

Basically Apple made the technology fit the user, rather than adapting the user to fit the technology.

5. Rigby macrumors 68040

I think it is mainly because there is a lot more awareness of privacy issues right now (mainly thanks to Edward Snowden). But I think the increased scrutiny is a good thing. It will help to make technology and policies more robust in the long run.

6. Serelus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Serelus

I considered this too, but I still feel like it's a little biased towards Apple.
    Althought if Google had come up with something like this.. hell would be raised for sure.

7. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

There is a smartphone and there is a apple iPhone.
    Similar concept... There is a fingerprint technology on other electronics and there is a touch ID ... Apple owns.