Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrislee8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
NY, NY
I installed Fink.

1. Does Fink has GUI? I thought Fink has a GUI.
2. If yes, how do I start?

I do Fink list on shell: It doesn't list GIMP!!!

I installed Fink for the sake of GIMP.

3. How do I get fink to find GIMP? in the package list of fink's site, it says it has GIMP.

4. Is there better built package for GIMP for free?

thanks

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
If all you want is GIMP why not use gimp.app. It even has a double-clickable icon so you can launch from the Finder. Since I found that, I haven't needed Fink and hence haven't re-installed it.

chrislee8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
NY, NY
I also tried gimp.app last night too.

I downloaded the gimp-2.0.3-2.dmg, mounted it.

there is the icon for it, so I double click it, it brings up the x11.

But I am not familiar with x11 at all. so now x11 gives me this prompt, but nothing else.

How do I go forword?

Does being a Mac user also mean to be a programmer now?

I just want to install it and use it for god's sake.

Mac does disappoint me in some ways, i missed the days in windows, everything double click, boom, you have all you want to use, EVERYTHING!

well, different story, sorry.

thanks for the help.

oh, i just remember why i dont' use gimp.app, in the readme.txt, it says:
At this time Gimp.app is not compatible with Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar.

so...... never mind this post, i still need answer to this thread tho. :)

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
yeah, gimp is now osx native, or close to it by usingn X11. They are working on getting it ported fully.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
chrislee8 said:
I also tried gimp.app last night too.
I downloaded the gimp-2.0.3-2.dmg, mounted it.
there is the icon for it, so I double click it, it brings up the x11.
But I am not familiar with x11 at all. so now x11 gives me this prompt, but nothing else.
How do I go forword?
Err, what is it telling you? Nothing wrong with X11, i dont know why people are so scared of it or anything...

Does being a Mac user also mean to be a programmer now?
I just want to install it and use it for god's sake.
Mac does disappoint me in some ways, i missed the days in windows, everything double click, boom, you have all you want to use, EVERYTHING!
well, different story, sorry.
thanks for the help.
oh, i just remember why i dont' use gimp.app, in the readme.txt, it says:
At this time Gimp.app is not compatible with Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar.
so...... never mind this post, i still need answer to this thread tho. :)
Err one doesnt need to be a programmer to use X11 for crying out loud. And evidently you havent see the other side of Windows, and not everything is packaged in a shiny little gui for you to enjoy :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

fink sucks imo, and i much prefer darwinports and portage, but if you need to use it, there's a gui frontend for fink called finkcommander (should have come with the fink package when you downloaded it). just use it, find gimp, install it, launch X11 whenever you need to use it. It's not hard :rolleyes: Its just not the fancy drag and drop install douible click for startup thing like photoshop.

chrislee8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
NY, NY
übergeek said:
Err, what is it telling you? Nothing wrong with X11, i dont know why people are so scared of it or anything...

Who is scared, I said how do I go forward?

Err one doesnt need to be a programmer to use X11 for crying out loud. And evidently you havent see the other side of Windows, and not everything is packaged in a shiny little gui for you to enjoy :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

so why the hell u expect a normal 'graphic' users to spend so much time working on getting the GIMP to work? a shiny little gui is much better than your rolling eyes. DUH. a shiny 'little' gui would save a user so much time while they can work what they do best. If you are a programming developing app, why not do your best to create gui so that their users can use the app more happily? DUH?

i guess that explains why windows is dominating. :p

chrislee8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
NY, NY
Information about 48 packages read in 1 seconds.
i apt 0.5.4-25 Advanced front-end for dpkg
i apt-shlibs 0.5.4-25 Advanced front-end for dpkg
i base-files 1.9.0-1 Directory infrastructure
i bzip2 1.0.2-12 Block-sorting file compressor
i bzip2-dev 1.0.2-12 Developer files for bzip2 package
i bzip2-shlibs 1.0.2-12 Shared libraries for bzip2 package
i cctools 446-1 [virtual package representing the develop...
i cctools-extra 1:495-1 Extra software from cctools
i cctools-sing... 1.0-1 [virtual package, your dev tools support ...
i darwin 6.7-1 [virtual package representing the kernel]
i debianutils 1.23-11 Misc. utilities specific to Debian (and F...
i dpkg 1.10.9-100 The Debian package manager
i file-spec-pm 0.82-1 Perform operations on file names
i fink 0.18.4-1 The Fink package manager
i fink-mirrors 0.0.4-1 Mirror infrastructure
i fink-prebinding 0.7-2 Tools for enabling prebinding in Fink
i gcc2 2.9.5-1 [virtual package representing the gcc2 co...
i gettext 0.10.40-17 Message localization support
i gettext-bin 0.10.40-17 Executables for gettext package
i gettext-dev 0.10.40-17 Developer files for gettext package
i gzip 1.2.4a-6 The gzip file compressor
libgl [virtual package]
libgl-shlibs [virtual package]
i libiconv 1.9.1-11 Character set conversion library
i libiconv-bin 1.9.1-11 Executables for libiconv package
i libiconv-dev 1.9.1-11 Developer files for libiconv package
i macosx 10.2.7-1 [virtual package representing the system]
mktemp [virtual package]
i ncurses 5.3-12 Full-screen ascii drawing library
i ncurses-dev 5.3-12 Shared libraries for ncurses package
i ncurses-shlibs 5.3-12 Shared libraries for ncurses package
perl560-core [virtual package]
rman [virtual package]
i storable-pm 1.0.14-6 Placeholder for versioned Storable packages
i storable-pm560 1.0.14-3 Perl module for persistent data structure...
i system-java13 1.3.1-1 [virtual package representing Java 1.3.1]
i system-java1... 1.3.1-1 [virtual package representing Java 1.3.1 ...
i system-perl 5.6.0-1 [virtual package representing perl]
i system-xfree86 2:4.2-2 [placeholder for user installed x11]
i system-xfree... 2:4.2-2 [placeholder for user installed x11 share...
i tar 1.13.25-12 GNU tar - tape archiver
i test-harness-pm 2.26-2 Run perl test scripts with statistics
i test-simple-pm 0.47-1 Basic utilities for writing tests
i unzip 5.50-4 Decompression compatible with pkunzip
x11 [virtual package]
x11-shlibs [virtual package]
xft1-shlibs [virtual package]
xserver [virtual package]

So those are the list of fink install/find, how can i find gimp and install it?

I appreciate any help. thanks

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
chrislee8 said:
Who is scared, I said how do I go forward?
so why the hell u expect a normal 'graphic' users to spend so much time working on getting the GIMP to work? a shiny little gui is much better than your rolling eyes. DUH. a shiny 'little' gui would save a user so much time while they can work what they do best. If you are a programming developing app, why not do your best to create gui so that their users can use the app more happily? DUH?

i guess that explains why windows is dominating. :p
functionality over looks, not looks over functionality. Well excuse me, but id rather prefer somethign that works right compared to something that sorta works but has a beautiful graphical user interface. then again, if something can do both well, then thats great. thats basically just like apple. nice machines, nice gui, bsd foundation.
And if you're having so much of a problem with installing gimp, why are you even installing it?! And speak for yourself, some users can do things faster in a cli because its to the point, no need for superfluous stuff.

As to your `how do i install gimp` question, open terminal and type in the following
Code:
sudo apt-get install gimp
and enter your password at the
Code:
Password:
prompt. Wait for fink to do its magic, then boom there you go, you got gimp installed.
to run it, open X11 (Applications/Utilities) and type
Code:
/sw/bin/gimp &
if you get an error run this in terminal:
Code:
sudo apt-get install dlcompat-shlibs
and try again. :\ now that wasnt too hard was it..

and to your `how do i find gimp` question, fink is a package manager and the list of packages you see is just telling you that that package is available to install on your machine. you have to use fink to install gimp to use gimp. of course there are other ways to install it, but they're essentially the same as fink.

chrislee8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
NY, NY
Now u r talking.

ur instruction went smoothly like silk.

but hey, i didn't know what the heck is sudo, i didn't what the heck is apt-get, as long as it works, I am happy.

Thank you very much. cheers!

chrislee8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
NY, NY
thank you again,

I am finally sketching on my wacom tablet intuos2 now.

1 month after i bought my powerbook, finally doing some work. I miss my PS CS on my .......(yeah, the platform most of u here hate) a little bit tho.

but at least I have another choice. Open source software is making me feeling good finally.

i m gonna have a nice sleep tonight, all thanks to aubergeek, sorry i can't type that character.

mikesown

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2004
in linux one application may require 10 others. so instead of manually getting them all from sperate places and running multiple commands on each, apt-get downloads and installs all of the applications required plus the one you used apt-get to get. basically you SHOULD be running as a limited user in osx which prevents you [or a virus launched under your account] from wreaking havok on your system files. sudo basically says "run this command as an administrator" and asks for your password to make sure you are the administrator!

Hope that makes sense,
Mike
chrislee8 said:
Now u r talking.

ur instruction went smoothly like silk.

but hey, i didn't know what the heck is sudo, i didn't what the heck is apt-get, as long as it works, I am happy.

Thank you very much. cheers!

chrislee8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
NY, NY
oh, i c. so doing sudo is dangerous? then what should replace it in this case?

but i thought when it asks for password, it is the computer that asks for password, not someone outside of nowhere.

so if there is a case of virus, it would be apt-get then, cause apt-get will go get packages from somewhere they trust or something like that.

am i misunderstanding something? could you explain more?

i appreciate it.
thanks

mikesown

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2004
sudos goal is basically to make it that you can run one application as an administrator. it is MUCH safer than logging in as an administrator. Only the program you launch with sudo is run with administrator privs. I.e. if you are using sudo and you launch a virus(NOT the file you launched with sudo) then it will launch with your standard account privligaes, thus will not do any harm. sudo tells the computer: "run this application as an administrator" not "run all applications as an administrator" if that makes any sense. apt-get shouldnt contian any viri although it is possible. i wouldnt worry about that. i was just explaining this to you so you could start to learn how *nix/bsd systems work.

hope that helps,
mike
chrislee8 said:
oh, i c. so doing sudo is dangerous? then what should replace it in this case?

but i thought when it asks for password, it is the computer that asks for password, not someone outside of nowhere.

so if there is a case of virus, it would be apt-get then, cause apt-get will go get packages from somewhere they trust or something like that.

am i misunderstanding something? could you explain more?

i appreciate it.
thanks

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
mikesown said:
sudos goal is basically to make it that you can run one application as an administrator. it is MUCH safer than logging in as an administrator. Only the program you launch with sudo is run with administrator privs. I.e. if you are using sudo and you launch a virus(NOT the file you launched with sudo) then it will launch with your standard account privligaes, thus will not do any harm. sudo tells the computer: "run this application as an administrator" not "run all applications as an administrator" if that makes any sense. apt-get shouldnt contian any viri although it is possible. i wouldnt worry about that. i was just explaining this to you so you could start to learn how *nix/bsd systems work.

hope that helps,
mike
well im always logged in as an administrator, sometimes root :p living on da edge..
the point of sudo is actually so that you dont log in as root (think of it as the equivalent of god on a computer, limitless power) and screw up your machine badly (or let someone else do that). like sudo is called sudo because su = superuser. its a really powerful and helpful tool, but should never be misused. Just imagine what would happen if you `rm -rf` the contents of the drive or chmod everything so nobody gets rwx permissions lol.

apt-get is based on the debian package manager, and it shouldnt contain any virii lol. sounds like a ridiculous but nevertheless possible idea though. but then again mac viruses are hard to come by...ones that do any significant damage anyway. But I can see how apt-get can be disguised as a virus...the root password gives you full control...hmm

mikesown

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2004
I'd suggest you not run as root. you can do some serious damage. I run gentoo on my x86 box, and never run as root(always use sudo).
übergeek said:
well im always logged in as an administrator, sometimes root :p living on da edge..
the point of sudo is actually so that you dont log in as root (think of it as the equivalent of god on a computer, limitless power) and screw up your machine badly (or let someone else do that). like sudo is called sudo because su = superuser. its a really powerful and helpful tool, but should never be misused. Just imagine what would happen if you `rm -rf` the contents of the drive or chmod everything so nobody gets rwx permissions lol.

apt-get is based on the debian package manager, and it shouldnt contain any virii lol. sounds like a ridiculous but nevertheless possible idea though. but then again mac viruses are hard to come by...ones that do any significant damage anyway. But I can see how apt-get can be disguised as a virus...the root password gives you full control...hmm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.