'fire Colbert' movement because of his 'homophobic' Trump insult

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 3, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Shame on him for speaking the truth he should be jailed for life. so kissing ass is homophobic? man politicians are all homos I guess.

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I don't see the problem with it especially the homophobic part. It is you typical gay joke. I have never found that guy remotely funny. I can't believe that guys is still on TV. Who watches him?

4. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Are you (JK) upset? The people who want Colbert fired did not like him in the first place, at least the conservatives who have figured out he's not a real conservative. ;) The language was pretty foul, but it was figurative. You did realize that, I presume for both counts. However, PS it had nothing to do with homophobia so you have mislabeled this thread.

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I copy/paste titles from the story to try and keep duplicate threads down

I don't want him fired, as I don't care one way or another what interested me is the liberals claiming it was homophobic as I just see it as a normal insult.

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

It's late night TV... granted I expect more from the likes of CBS. The joke was crude and beneath Colbert.
    I think he's a funny guy, but if we're being honest about it, the joke was really low rent. I expected better from him.

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so how many liberals thought that??? got me a real number or is it just your feelings about it and liberals in general?

8. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Which liberals? :rolleyes:

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

You know THOSE liberals the ones that are responsible for all things bad of course.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

[​IMG]follow the link provided [​IMG]

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

"Liberals and conservatives alike are agreeing that Stephen Colbert should be fired by CBS, but not necessarily for the same reasons."

Looks like both sides are angry.

12. Zenithal macrumors 603

I fail to see how this is homophobic, and I'm a person who approves of gay rights. It's a crude joke, but homophobic? Two days have passed, and the only people who've made such a brouhaha about the joke were Trump supporters or otherwise people who never watched Colbert's show but decided to get in on the action. The late show doesn't have many advertisers in that slot. Should Colbert be fired, did it not occur there's a paid cable company out there who'll happily offer him twice or thrice what NBC offers him?

All of this seems so hypocritical of Republicans who otherwise couldn't give a damn about gay rights. You have this upcoming religious freedom to discriminate bill coming up and Mike "So Deep In The Closet He Can See Narnia" Pence who fetishizies making life hard for minorities, especially the gays. Personally, I've never paid much attention to Colbert because like the other late night talk shows of now and yesteryear, he's not funny to my ears or remotely entertaining. Then again, comedy's appeal is very subjective and personality based.

Seth Meyers hosts a late show with often cruder language about life and of course the President. I haven't seen calls for his head, yet. As usual, some fake conservatives have gotten their knickers in a twist. Quite typical of these people who can only rally behind a cause like flies to honey, not even giving thought to how idiotic they sound.

13. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I don't think he should be fired, but the exec producer who signed off on the joke should be. Yes, all the scripts have to go through review. We still have FCC censors that monitor broadcast TV for inappropriate content.
    It may have passed FCC muster, but it was still tasteless.

14. Zenithal macrumors 603

The FCC only monitors language used from 6 AM to 10 PM.

15. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

depending on accuracy it might have left a bad taste ...........:eek:

16. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Hardcore Trump supporters care about homophobia all of a sudden, huh?

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I just see it as lower than merely crude. Typical of a trashy person.

If you're going to say that sort of stuff, say it to the person's face and take your chances. Otherwise, it's just cowardice, babbling nasty from a safe place.

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well kissing putins ass has to leave a bad taste in your mouth.

19. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Hillary & bill should know. :D

20. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

He's on tv, can't be recanted and there is no way a spin master could spin out of this even if wanting to. No no...see he was imitating that bad guy from Johnny dangerously (old comedy with a much younger Michael Keaton), mobster would say stuff like farging corksucker and icehole). He meant to say cork holster...yeah cork. Not that other word.

Not a safe place really. Also trump doesn't strike me as a Colbert fan, current or his days on the daily show. Kind of hard to arrange that meeting when I'd gather trump not puling strings to be in the audience or on the show.

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I knew you could not resist too bad we showed you how wrong you were. never change.

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

They got 2.5 million from Russia

23. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Jokes are jokes, nothing more. I just can't help but wonder what the response would be if someone made a joke about Barrack Obama performing oral sex on the male leader of another nation.

24. Zenithal macrumors 603

It's already been done? Albeit in witty writing. Several years ago, around 2011 or 2012, some journo wrote a very 50 shades types of meeting between Barry and Putty. Long before that, Obama was called other names spanning the range of homosexual behavior.

25. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

What was the joke? I listened to it in the background and didn't notice anything significant. Suey Park (possibly a pseudonym) tried to get rid of Colbert in his old gig. This seems similar.