Firearm crime is down in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, May 11, 2013.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

If firearm crime is down over the last 10 years why all this outrage and pressure for more gun laws/bans now?

With all the recent shootings, bombings and kidnappings it appears like we need more laws and funding for mental health in the U.S. however I do not see any political groups pushing for major changes in that area.

Why do you think that is?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Improving mental health provision would be expensive.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Violent crime in general has been on a downward trend for years.

But there remains a very large number of Americans killed by firearms every year ... far more than other modern industrial nations.

It's that disparity in the number of firearm casualties that leads me to believe that stricter regulation could lead to lowering those numbers.

4. samiwas, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013

samiwas macrumors 65816

Because even if crime is down, we still have multitudes more gun deaths (rate) than any other first-world nation. Why do you think that is? Are Americans just more prone to violence than citizens of other countries? Are Americans more prone to mental health issues than citizens of other countries? Or is it just "our culture" to shoot more people because guns are awesome?

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Watch it!

You're cutting into my income!

Will shrink for food...:eek:

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Automobile deaths are down. We should stop making cars safer and including advanced technological safety features.

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Because people are still getting killed by them, usually unnecessarily. Usually for just being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Many other countries have proved that gun bans are effective. Unfortunately, the US seem to think owning a firearm is some sort of 'right'. God forbid if you take their precious guns away from them.

8. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Because it's less easy to exploit for political purpose ?

-t

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

...says the OP from the state that leads the already high U.S. rate of firearm crimes/death per capita.

All the funding in the world will not effectively "cure" mental illness such that no violent crime would ever be committed by a mentally ill person. However, mental health funding in the U.S> is pitifully insufficient, but in this era of spend no money, I a pessimistic it will increase in the near future.

And as for the "all the recent...bombings" in the US, many are from marginalized/radicalized individuals that were not necessarily mentally ill.

Why not have 100% mandatory background checks? Why not close the gun show loopholes. And if you want certain types of guns (high capacity assault rifles), why not register those types of weapons?

10. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Are you insinuating we need to start banning automobiles based on the number of deaths they cause? What does this have to do with my question?

11. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Would 100% mandatory background checks have stopped any of the last major mass shooting?
    What would registration have done to stop these last mass shootings?
    What are "(high capacity assault rifles)"

12. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Magazine restrictions might have seriously limited casualties in recent mass shootings.

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The purpose of a car is transportation. The purpose of a gun is to kill a living creature. If you can't see the difference...

14. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Both are tools, the purpose depends entirely on the person using the tool. If one's purpose is to kill a living creature, and that creature is me, I'd like to have access to the proper tool to defend myself.

All that aside, there are arguably more guns out there and less treatment available for the mentally ill so perhaps firearm crime is down due to increased incarceration of violent criminals ...... :)

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Exactly. If we wanted to actually reduce crime from a legislative standpoint, the first thing we'd have to do is reverse the poverty trap policies that we've been pushing since the 50's. Of course that would require admitting that we aren't gods gift to the planet here in the USA so instead lets just pick at the scab while we open even more wounds throughout.

16. duneriderltr450, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013

duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

False.

I think he means an "assault rifle" that holds more than 30 rounds because 30 round mags are standard capacity. ;)

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Then enlighten us. What is the purpose of a gun?

BL.

18. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

The purpose of a gun is to accelerate a projectile from zero velocity to a certain velocity (such as 1200 feet per second) in a controllable vector. This tool can also be used to make noise to signal the start a race and to shoot paper or clay targets.

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You do realize that guns existed YEARS before such concepts as starting a race or paper or clay targets existed, right? So take those out of the equation. What is the purpose of a gun, and its intended use?

BL.

20. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

Yes the gun is a very old tool. Unless we are in the year 1400 I don't see what that has to do with this thread. I already explained the purpose of a gun.

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

What it has to do with this is that since guns predate your definition of its purpose, there had to be another purpose for them other than what you stated. So your 'purpose' doesn't apply, as there had to have been other purposes for guns.

So what are those purposes? I'd love to hear your answer.

BL.

22. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

Survival.

23. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Gentlemen

Do you actually believe that you going to convince the other of the undeniable veracity of your position?

Does this not seem to you to be an exercise in futility?

A very long exercise in futility.

A very long and pointless exercise in futility?

Just asking...:D

:rolleyes:

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Which means your purpose is to kill someone or something to insure your survival.

thank you for proving Ugg right and you claim of 'false' as truly false.

BL.

25. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

The gun is a tool. It's up to the end user what he decides to do with that tool. So no, the purpose of a gun is to not kill a living creature. Why do I feel like I am repeating myself so much. :rolleyes:

----------

Yes it does. :eek: