Fired bank teller: Did he deserve to be fired by Key Bank?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by spaceboots06, Aug 3, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/bank-1365368-seattle-0in.html

My thoughts: Policies are policies but this man may have saved the bank a couple grand. They shouldn't have fired him!

2. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

They probably had to make an example of him because they really don't want tellers playing hero. Had things gone terribly wrong and some customer's kid got shot up, etc., there would have been hell to pay with lawsuits all over the place. This way at most there's a lawsuit by the teller which will probably get settled, quietly... hence "no hard feelings."

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

A couple of grand that's insured by the Feds and sure isn't worth risking the safety of everyone in the bank. The policies are there to minimize risk to bank employees and customers. The teller proved to be a liability by ignoring safety procedures so I'm not surprised the bank fired him. Chasing the guy down was even more stupid because the robber could've had an armed accomplice waiting outside. Someone else's stuff that's 100% insured and replaceable sure isn't worth risking your life for, IMO.

Lethal

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Exactly.

The policy is there because in many circumstances a heroic bank teller will only exacerbate a situation and get themselves, and possibly others in the bank, killed.

He knew the policy existed—I bet there are training videos and everything—and yet when lives were at stake, he acted dangerously.

5. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

That's exactly right.

I can understand the impulse to fight back, but his actions put not only himself, but the entire bank, and then everyone in the street, at risk. He's lucky it was resolved with no injuries.

6. Shivetya macrumors 65816

and if he had died or others had died who do you think would be footing the bill or suffering the bad press?

I understand the feeling to cheer on this guy, but he put not only his own life at risk but those in and outside the bank.

7. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Yes, he saved the bank some money and stopped a robbery.

And if he wasn't able to? What if he got killed? What if he got others injured? That's why the bank has its policies and abides by them. He jeopardized his fellow coworkers and customers, as well as his own well being, by trying to play hero. We have cops for a reason, just do your own job.

8. gibbz macrumors 68030

When I was an undergrad, I worked at Home Depot. They had a similar policy that we weren't allowed to pursue anyone leaving with stolen property. A few people I knew were fired for chasing people.

It is all a liability and safety issue. I feel for the guy, but his employer has a policy for this exact scenario and he broke it.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Between spacebooties and shivetya, this board is turning into some bizarre version of The Sun or The National Enquirer.

10. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Its sad to see anyone in this economy lose their job, especially when the reason is over a policy that promotes cowardice, but he was in the wrong. Maybe now he can play out his fantasies of being Batman.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, dumb move by the teller.

12. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

A Home Depot employee once told me they could not pursue anyone past the painted lines outside the door. The reason was they were afraid that they may chase someone and they would run into the traffic in front of the store and then sue the store.

I hate the fact that you can be injured during the commission of a crime and turn around and sue the people you were stealing from. People might as well start making sure they get hurt doing stuff like this. That way if you steal a $1.50 item and get a broken leg or worse you can really "make out like a bandit."

This teller did the right thing at the wrong time in the wrong place. Sure, chase down a scumbag if you feel like it, but if it endangers those around you, think twice, especially if policy dictates you'll be unemployed as a result.

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Catching shoplifters is apparently pretty hard. In order not to set yourself up for a lawsuit, you've got to see the shoplifter pick up an item, not lose sight of him through the store to verify he doesn't put the item down, and continue to follow him until he actually attempts to leave the store without paying for the item. But if you let him get past the door, you can't chase him.

As annoying as receipt checkers are, it's no wonder stores want to create a bottleneck there.