Firefox and Safari nearly freeze my new laptop!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bethany-Wings, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Bethany-Wings macrumors member

Bethany-Wings

So often, when I'm working with Firefox or Safari (mostly Firefox), my computer will come seconds away from crashing. It'll pause with the rainbow wheel twirling around, but if I have something like even Skype open or photoshop, I can still work in those. I've had to close Firefox a FEW times, at LEAST, in the last little while because of this.

Why is Firefox acting so WEIRD?! I've even uninstalled it and installed a new version! Why isn't it getting fixed? Is there a better program that won't do this on my brand new laptop with Leopard 10.5 OSX?

PS...my laptop is 4GB ram, 500GB harddrive with 2.13 GHZ. It's a very good Macbook.

2. ptsube macrumors 6502

Check your processes. See if you have any old print jobs in the print queue. System Prefs> Print & Fax> Select printer, then open print queue. Delete any old print jobs.

Download iStat so you can monitor your CPU. I get the spinning wheel on occation. Usually when I first open Safari and it is updating my 24 Top Sites. Or iTunes, but I have a ton of stuff in iTunes, and iTunes is bloated anyway.

Next try to repair the disc and permissions.

You may also like to try out Shiretoko. It is a optimized version of Firefox.