Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kara

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
I'm trying to use the built-in firewall in OS X but I have a some questions. I'm used to just loading up ZoneAlarm on my PC, so I need some help with this. My main concern is security in regards to p2p. I use a variety of p2p programs (along with IRC) and I'd like to still use these, but be protected at the same time. Is that possible using just the built-in firewall in Panther? If so - what would I do to set it up correctly? In my system prefs there are nine boxes to check there, and I don't know which ones to choose. If not - what products would you recommend? Thanks very much!

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Go to System Prefs then to Sharing, now click on the Firewall tab and there you can add in new port numbers for your different programs

Once you have done that all the programs should work with the Firewall, remember that this isn't Zone Alarm and it won't come with a pop up window when something tries to access the internet so they all need to be there

kara

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
Thanks for such a quick response :)

I don't know which programs use which ports. I really have no idea how to set it up.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
kara said:
Thanks for such a quick response :)

I don't know which programs use which ports. I really have no idea how to set it up.

Just list the Programs that you need and I'm sure people will give you the port numbers :)

kara

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
I use Poisoned, Acquisition, DC++ for Mac, Azureus, and IRC.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
kara said:
I use Poisoned, Acquisition, DC++ for Mac, Azureus, and IRC.

Well I know that if you click New you can select IRC from the list

One down :D

Do these other programs have sites that you can get the numbers from?

fedora

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
the ports to poisoned are: 1213, 1351, 3118, 3448, 1214 (i think thats right)
the ports to limewire are: 45100, 6346, 53370

try using the "netstat" comands in teminal to see what else you are conected too.

kara

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
I searched for the ports, so I think I've got it all set up. Thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.