Firewalls all around

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Okay, here's my situated. When I started using X, and got my broadband connection, i immediately started using a 3rd party firewall, BrickHouse. I loved it's customizability and selective blocking options, as well as logging abilities. When I upgraded to Jaguar, i stopped using it because Jag has a built-in firewall. My question is this: How reliable is the built-in firewall? Should i turn it off and use something else, for the extra options? or can i simply trust it to do it's job without my intervention at all? it's such a weird thing, i've become so used to lengthy in-depth configurations that i feel lost without them :)

thanks!
pnw

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
pre-jaguar versions of OS X also had built in firewalls.

Also brickhouse is not a firewall, its just a graphic interface to easily customize settings of the firewall built into OS X.

So you've been using the built in firewall all along, and you won't need a third party firewall for normal computer use(cruising the web and such). The built in firewall is just fine.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
That makes sense, i never thought of it. I had been concerned about a certain program that could access the internet without me making an allowance for it, but i just figured out that it uses HTTP commands anyway...

Well, at any rate, i know i'm secure! :)

Thanks!
paul

pantagruel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2002
here and there
yeah the firewall in Jag is the same thing you were using before, only know its easier to setup and you dont need a program like brickhouse to make it easier anymore. it works really well actually but Im going to get another one called NetBarrier X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.