Firewire cable (to transfer files from Blackbook 2007 to new Macbook pro i5)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robotboy21, Jan 18, 2011.

1. robotboy21 macrumors newbie

So I went down to my local Radio Shack earlier today and I was told I would need a firewire cable with two different ends since the Firewire inputs are different on both?

I'm hoping someone here could help me out as far as the exact name of the cable goes so I can compare prices for it online. Thing is i've been checking prices for some random firewire cables and they're around 15 or so dollars at most but the ones at Radio Shack were around $30-50 :confused:

So yeah I definitely don't want to overpay so that's why I want to inform myself so I can make the right decision. I need the name of the cable, like the model that will be able to connect my Blackbook 2007 to my brand new Macbook Pro i5 so I can transfer the files from my old mac into my new one. I would honestly appreciate it.

If you guys have any suggestions as far as brands of the cable goes or just any kind of suggestion regarding the Firewire cable or where to buy it I would honestly appreciate it.

2. simsaladimbamba

You need a Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 cable, or otherwise called 6-pin (FW400) to 9-pin (FW800) cable.

[​IMG]

3. ZenErik macrumors 6502

4. robotboy21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much man. Very helpful.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Seems to me that if you're just going to do this the one time, you might do well to just use an ethernet cable if you have one laying around (borrow it from your router) and direct connect the two computers instead of ordering/buying a firewire cable you're not going to use again?

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I find that the method that you are describing is not nearly as fast as using firewire... So maybe it is worth it to the OP to buy a firewire cable that he may or may not use ever again...

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

It certainly may be -- my intent was to offer an option that may do the job without waiting for mailorder or driving around town for a cable.

As fast as monoprice is, I bet a direct ethernet transfer using a cable already in hand would finish before UPS shows up with a new FW cable in two days. :D

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Hang on let me memorize that chart because of the complexity. I serious hate how they change ports so much..well no where near the annoyance of USB...jesus...the times I SWORE I had the right USB cable but then realized the end was slightly smaller or shaped like a trapezoid instead of an oval.:eek:

9. simsaladimbamba

Firewire is actually very slow in being adopted and changed, but USB is too I guess.

The 4-pin FW port can be found on almost all H/DV cameras, unless they use a 6-pin port, which I haven't seen yet, except in some Sony decks. That port has been with us for 15 years or so. Btw, many PC laptops use this port too.
    The 6-pin FW port has been with us as long as the 4-pin port and is often found on FW cards or many Macs since the late 90s.
    The 9-pin port is a "newer" one and has been added to devices in the first half of the first decade of the third millennium.

As USB 1 and USB 2 look the same, one could accidentally grab a USB 1 cable and connect two USB 2 devices and get only USB 1 speeds.
    That can't happen with Firewire, though FW1600 and FW3200, if ever released to the public, have the same 9-pin ports and plugs.

10. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I'm just saying I hate this:
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/img/usb.jpg
    Why is it even necessary to completely redesign the business end all the time other than revenue?

11. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

It most definitely is. You could always just get it going before you go to bed...it would certainly be done by the time you wake up the next morning.

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

You want this.

I'm guessing you don't have any regular Firewire cables hanging around? I was able to buy an adapter for my existing cables for a couple bucks... works great.