Firewire manufacturers clearing stock...Firewire 2 soon?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
A little far fetched, but who knows...

Originally posted at http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0205/23.fwdepot.php
FireWire Depot has announced a manufacturer's clearance sale on select storage enclosures.

The company is selling:

The ME-910, a 2.5 inch enclosure which takes both 9.5 and 12.5mm drives. It's available in FireWire, USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 interfaces, for US$75, $40, or $55 respectively.

The TT-320, a 5.25 inch enclosure that sports a removable front panel. It's also available in FireWire or USB 2.0 interfaces, for $99.99 or $89.99 respectively.

Also, the TT-35U is available. It's a USB enclosure that accepts 3.5-inch drives. Equipped with a USB interface, it costs $89.99.
More channel clearing?

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: Firewire manufacturers clearing stock...Firewire 2 soon?

Originally posted by Rower_CPU

More channel clearing?
It doesn't follow that firewire manufacturers clearing stock means firewire 2 is coming anytime soon. After all, even after firewire 2 is introduced, there's three years of machines out there with firewire 1 on them, meaning the market for firwire 1 products is going to be larger than that for firewire 2 products for quite some time. Even if firewire 2 products will work with firewire 1 machines through backwards compatibility, as there would be no speed increase for their customers, they wouldn't feel pressure to get rid of all their firewire 1 products immediately. I'm not even sure firewire 2 devices are backwards compatible with a firewire 1 connection, though I'm pretty sure firewire 1 devices will work on a firewire 2 connection through an adadptor. its much mopre likely this simply means they have a bit of oversupply and are just getting rid of stock.

Comment

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
These are enclosures, though.

If they have new products coming out soon that maybe have both 1394 and 1394b, it would make sense to do this.

I don't seriously think this points to anything, but it's one possible interpretation.:)

Comment

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
These are enclosures, though.

If they have new products coming out soon that maybe have both 1394 and 1394b, it would make sense to do this.

I don't seriously think this points to anything, but it's one possible interpretation.:)
Thats a good point, and one I hadn't thought of. But like you, I think its more likely a business decision than a sign of new hardawre coming.

Comment

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
i read somewhere that oxford may be updating their oxford 911 bridge chipset. since all the items you listed seem to involve ide to firewire conversion, this might be a sign of a updated bridge.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.