Firm cancels health insurance coverage for girl, 17

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Sep 17, 2009.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

More of the same form insurance companies. When money is more important than lives, we have a serious moral problem in this country.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/chi-thu-problem-briana-rice-sep17,0,771811.column

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

god I hope they sue the company and take them to the cleaners.

Sue for all the medical bills, pain and suffering, intersted for all unpaid bills, legal feels, plus any future medical cost the company was trying to advoid paying on for the girl. Peronally I think the insurance company lost it right to cancel cover after lets say 30 days. 30 days is enough time for the company to threw the medical records. Since they didn't the company stated they are ok with the coverage.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I hope so too. Then they should be shut down.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

it should not be to hard to get a judge to order the company to pay for all the medical bills during the legal battle. Since this battle will take years.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If I went to the doctors for dizziness, fatigue, and they found I had high cholesterol I would probably note it when getting insurance. Sounds like symptoms of a heart related condition. Did it say what she was diagnosed with?

edit: nm I see the subject on the article website.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

When those symptoms were noted, the doctors saw no cause for concern. It's all in the article.

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

In a teenage girl with these symptoms the most likely diagnosis would not be a heart related condition. In fact you'd be hard up finding a teenage girl without these symptoms.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No cause for concern at the time of the physical which isn't really a thorough examination, she still had previous medical problems or she wouldn't have went to a doctor for them. I know for sure if I was getting insurance these days I would disclose all previous medical visits apart from physicals and yearly checkups.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I have a teenage sister, she has none of these symptoms. That wasn't very hard.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You are backing the company but the insurance company had the medical history access to them and they dug for it. They had that before it was diagnosis and they did not go threw it. They looked it over nothing popped out at them. So they said good to go.

I can promise you if those things were listed from one test they still would of given coverage so that claim is BS on there part.

I think after 30 days the insurance company lost its right to say pre existing condition.

As for those things. Minus the cholesterol part on my sister she went threw a spell of dizziness, and fatigue. the cholesterol was never check. It was found after a little while it was cause by dehydration and over excursion on her part but still went on for a while. My sister was/is a great athlete and in high school was one of the stars in every sport she did and she pushed her limits hard.

Same basic things as the girl in the article and turn out to be something that was minor.

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Another zombie acorn personal anecdote.

My point stands. In a teenage girl dizziness and fatigue is an extremely common presentation. High cholesterol is a common presentation. If you can exclude people with a prior condition based on these presentations there would be very few teenage girls that would qualify for cover. Which is exactly what an insurance company wants.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its not a fact of qualifying for coverage, the insurance company needs to know all prior medical history to make an assessment on how much you should pay, she would have received coverage anyways but her medical condition would have been fully disclosed. Most people mark "no priors" to get a lower rate without thinking.

I am just saying that with all of the insurance companies denying coverage I would make sure to disclose everything on my insurance application, its stupid not to do so.

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

14. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

These symptoms can be everything from a small iron deficency (no idea how that is spelled, sorry) to a heart condition. Most likely the first.

Another sad case. I find it interesting that the medical insurance companies have an army of people dedicated to deny people coverage. Sort of defeats it's purpose.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

from the artical

If you noticed everything was explain away. They cherry pick and the cholesterol was listed as an inaccurate test.

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You really need to stop. Seriously. Criticizing this girl's parents for this is absolutely insane. Kids have coughs. Kids get dizzy and tired. Every once in a while, kids might have a false reading on a cholesterol check. Here are the facts- the insurance company didn't care about any of this until she got cancer. PERIOD.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Dizziness from not drinking enough water and fatigue from spending too much time on the internet are hardly prior conditions that the insurance company needs to know about. They're not chronic and are not the result of a medical condition. The only valid point you may have is the high cholestorol, but that appears to be a false reading.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The father isn't qualified to suggest that it was a false reading. These conditions may be common but most people do not go to the doctor for them. I still believe it is an oversight by the parents to not list these visits, I don't believe that they should be used to deny coverage unless they were directly related however.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

High cholesterol is relatively common (although she is young). Without any more info I'd be careful to believe the claims that it was a false reading though. It's a pretty routine test. The most likely explanation is that that her triglycerides were high because she hadn't fasted before having blood drawn.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Maybe she was feeling dizzy, didn't know why, and the doctor said she wasn't drinking enough water. Sounds simple enough to me.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I am not really familiar with how these things go as I am not keen on doctors/hospitals. Do they not document what you came in for and what the final verdict was? Why are we relying on the father to decide what happened with these medical visits? How is he qualified to decide a high cholesterol reading was inaccurate?

I would think this would have had to be a persistent dizziness if they took her to the doctor, most parents would tell their kids to go lay down for a while to see if they felt better, not rush them to the doctor. I feel fatigue because I was up till 5 am doing course work, I am not about to go to the doctor. If he knew fatigue was caused by her staying up late why didn't he set a bedtime instead of bringing her to the doctor?

22. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

He's not. But apparently, the insurance company thought he was while filling out the application, now didn't they?

Who knows? Everyone is different. From the article, sounds like the doctors explained it away.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Lost me there, he knew about the medical visits, there's no way the person looking at the application would have known one way or the other. With stories like this popping out every once in a while I would think people would smarten up a bit and start listing any unplanned doctor visits.

I didn't see the girl's examining doctor quoted in that article. The article also lists "ongoing fatigue" which implies that it wasn't just one doctor visit for the condition.

Without seeing the medical file myself I can't make any determinations as to the corruptness of this action by the insurance company. These conditions do not seem to relate to her disease though, although it does sound a bit like anemia which is a symptom.

24. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

From the article:

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Once again its the father's word against the insurance's and he lost a bit of credibiity when he said a test was inaccurate which he had no way of knowing either way:

"After the teen's diagnosis in February, American Community reviewed her medical files and found reports of dizziness, elevated cholesterol levels, ongoing fatigue and a persistent cough."

As for the physical I had one required in high school and they never did blood tests. Didn't seem thorough at all.