Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 11 First Apple Device - Two Factor Authentication?

wtb65

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2020
Hi guys,

I have a quick question which I hope someone can help me with...

I'm buying my first Apple product soon (iPhone 11), moving from Android and it will be my only Apple device.

I've set up an Apple Account online and it has Two Factor Authentication 'ON' by default - there is no option to turn it off?

So, I'm just wondering....

When I buy and set up my new iPhone - will it ask for my sim card to be placed in the iPhone for the setup process?

And if so, how will I be able to receive the Two Factor Authentication code if the iPhone is in the setup process?

As I only have one sim card and no other Apple device.

Is there a way to bypass Two Factor Authentication on first setup for people with only one device? Or for those who are new to Apple?

It seems a silly default setting to force on people and I'm anticipating an issue because of it.

Hope my question makes sense.

Thanks.

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
The only question I can give a definitive answer is, since you are new to Apple, 2FA is turned on and you don‘t have any ability to turn it off.
For Apple’s 2FA to work, you need a secondary device available that can receive SMS. This could be your ONLY other factor that you can rely on later. I have no idea how the setup process for new user is, but 2FA in general is very unfriendly to people with only one Apple device imo.
If you happen to have someone in your family using any Apple device, you might ask them for help and set their device as trusted device. But I personally would not risk that.

Comment

majkom

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Easy, insert sim into new iphone, then start it And go through the process, when asked for 2nd factor, follow this:
Get a text or phone call
If you don’t have a trusted device handy, you can have a verification code sent to your trusted phone number as a text message or phone call.
  1. Click Didn't get a verification code on the sign in screen.
  2. Choose to have the code sent to your trusted phone number.
  3. You'll get a text message or phone call from Apple with your verification code.
  4. Enter the code on your device to complete sign in.

Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Although I have several Apple devices, I also have a landline number I can use to get a call from Apple, in case I didn’t have access to my other devices. I also have the option with 2 family member phones.

Always have a backup of your backup. You don’t want to risk being locked out of your account.

Comment

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
Just click the "didn't get verification code" prompt when the screen asks for verification. They'll send a SMS text to your trusted phone (doesn't have to be iPhone)

Comment

majkom

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
They send it to your trusted number - it may be even sim in new iphone - iphone will sutomatically copy that code to the field - easy, no need for any other physical phone...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.