Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Five students from Sydney, Australia, namely Bishoy Behman, Mazen Kourouche, Marcus Barsoum, Matthew Alvarez, and Paul Behman, were the first customers in the world to walk out of an Apple retail store with an all-new iPhone today, although without the specific model they had been hoping for.

iphone7-release-sydney-1.jpg

The students had been taking turns waiting since Wednesday morning local time for the chance to purchase an iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black, but Apple later announced that no iPhone 7 Plus models in any color, or iPhone 7 models in Jet Black, will be available on launch day for walk-in customers.

The students were disappointed, but ultimately walked away with two iPhone 7 models each and $100 Apple gift cards provided by the store. Some customers who lined up elsewhere were provided with Apple gift cards of lesser value, but others received nothing, suggesting it was not a companywide initiative.

Despite rainy and windy conditions, and the lack of iPhone 7 Plus availability, the video below shows that hundreds of customers still showed up at the flagship Apple Sydney location for the launch today.

Just a few hours earlier, the first iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus pre-order deliveries began in New Zealand, and orders are now beginning in China, Hong Kong, Japan, and Singapore. The first-wave launch will continue through to Alaska and Hawaii as the date reaches September 16 across the world.

Apple has not indicated when stores will receive more iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus shipments, but in-store reservations will resume on September 17 at 8:00 a.m. local time in the U.S., Australia, Canada, and Hong Kong, and on September 17 at 6:00 a.m. local time in Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and the U.K.

Article Link: Apple's First Walk-In Customers Leave With iPhone 7 Instead of iPhone 7 Plus, But Get Free $100 Gift Cards

Last edited:
Reactions: xerexes1

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
Looks like lots of walk-in stock (other than the 7s JB) if they weren't limiting purchases to one per person.

walt7788

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
If there is such a supply limitation on the Plus model, why didn't Apple just wait another month to launch it? So now there will be a few people who get the phone, but most will be disappointed...I don't get it. Yeah they have their yearly release schedule -- but this just seems like they messed up. With a supply chain master as CEO, you'd think they would have been a bit more prepared...

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Caution: If you easily get seizures and vomit by watching shaky video, don't watch the embedded video.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
I meant can we get them from a carrier store like sprint? or is this unlikely?

Call the store? Some don't take reservations so it is first come first serve. While other stores might not even get them on launch day.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I guess the public didn't get the message that this is just an "iterative" iPhone upgrade and that they should wait till next year for the REALLY good iPhone.

Remind me again which gen iPhone wasn't an iterative model? 3G, 3Gs, 4, 4s.....

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Great the iPhone 7 is out. I couldn't care less personally but the darn thing is finally out there hooray, yippee, doing cartwheels in the street (not). Mankind is saved once again.

Now can we please move on to far more important products such as new Macs.

Komrad808

macrumors member
It's not "All iPhone 7 PLUS models" its just the Jet Black for iPhone and Plus. You guys should do what I did, call Apple and ask them your selves. Don't believe everything you read. The lady on the phone almost choked up, when I asked if ALL iPhone Plus models would not be available on launch day, at an Apple store. She said they are limited to the Plus models, just the Jet Black won't be available.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Screw that! I settled for the regular 6S last year due to stock issues and I regretted it. Only saving grace was the $200 Best Buy gift card.

Reactions: Mr. Dee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.