First ballot MLB Hall Of Famers in the steroid era?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Unspeaked, May 22, 2012.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I've been checking out a list of MLB players that will soon be eligible for the Hall of Fame and was surprised by how small - in my opinion - the list of first-ballot names is. So many have question marks because of steroid/PED use. The only ones I could come up with are all pitchers:

Tom Glavine
    Greg Maddux
    Randy Johnson
    Pedro Martinez

And maybe Frank Thomas.

Does anyone think I'm wrong? Any names that are missing, or anyone I named that you don't think should be first ballot?

Here's the full list of who's eligible and when:

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Unless there is proof that these players took steroids or PED's they cannot be excluded from the hall if their numbers allow them to be in.

That being said, out of that whole list you posted only 10 - 15 would make it.

3. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

How could you miss Ken Griffey Jr.? He is a first ballot winner and was never tied to drugs in any way. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dale

4. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Sandy Alomar Jr., Tony Batista, Craig Biggio, Barry Bonds, Jeff Cirillo, Royce Clayton, Roger Clemens, Jeff Conine, Steve Finley, Julio Franco, Shawn Green, Roberto Hernandez, Ryan Klesko, Mike Lieberthal, Kenny Lofton, Jose Mesa, Damian Miller, Mike Piazza, Reggie Sanders, Curt Schilling, Aaron Sele, Sammy Sosa, Mike Stanton, Jose Valentin, Todd Walker, David Wells, Rondell White, Bob Wickman, Woody Williams

Moises Alou, Armando Benitez, Sean Casey, Jose Cruz Jr., Ray Durham, Damion Easley, Keith Foulke, Eric Gagne, Tom Glavine, Luis Gonzalez, Scott Hatteberg, Jacque Jones, Todd Jones, Jeff Kent, Jon Lieber, Esteban Loaiza, Paul Lo Duca, Greg Maddux, Matt Morris, Mike Mussina, Trot Nixon, Hideo Nomo, Jay Payton, Kenny Rogers, Richie Sexson, J.T. Snow, Shannon Stewart, Frank Thomas, Mike Timlin, Steve Trachsel, Jose Vidro

Rich Aurilia, Aaron Boone, Paul Byrd, Tony Clark, Carlos Delgado, David Dellucci, Jermaine Dye, Alan Embree, Darin Erstad, Kelvim Escobar, Cliff Floyd, Nomar Garciaparra, Brian Giles, Tom Gordon, Eddie Guardado, Randy Johnson, Mark Loretta, Pedro Martinez, Ramon Martinez, Doug Mientkiewicz, Kevin Millar, Troy Percival, B.J. Ryan, Jason Schmidt, Gary Sheffield, John Smoltz, Julian Tavarez, Jarrod Washburn, David Weathers

Garret Anderson, Brad Ausmus, Jim Edmonds, Ken Griffey Jr., Mark Grudzielanek, Jose Guillen, Mike Hampton, Trevor Hoffman, Mike Lowell, Bengie Molina, Chan Ho Park, Scott Podsednik, Mike Sweeney, Fernando Tatis, Billy Wagner, Jeff Weaver

Pat Burrell, Orlando Cabrera, Mike Cameron, Carlos Guillen, Jorge Posada, Ivan Rodriguez, Jason Varitek, Tim Wakefield

I agree with your picks and added a few more. First ballot or not, they should go in. I think Griffey will go in first-ballot without an issue as I don't think he was ever involved with steroids. Bonds will get in, eventually. Steroids or not, the guy was almost a machine up there. I think steroids are a blemish but it's not like they instantly made a HOF player.

There are a lot of borderline players in there and some that have business being even mentioned. Guys like Mussina, Posada, Smoltz and Kent...tough call. If it was "Hall of Very Good" they'd be in but HOF? Not so sure.

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Bonds and Sosa should get in on the same ballot as Pete Rose. That would be awesome. I'd travel to NY to see that.

6. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I'm not saying they'll be totally excluded. I'm just saying that there is now clearly a bias from some of the voters and certain players (Mark McGwire being the best example, but probably soon to be joined by Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens) who would be no-brainer 1st ballot entries in the past and now "tainted." Heck, a McGwire or Sosa might not get in at all, and though I assume Barry Bonds will eventually be voted in, I think he'll be kept off the first ballot to "send a message."

So the names I came up with are the players I foresee having the best chance to be voted in on their first turn. Frank Thomas is the most questionable of that lot simply because he was a power hitter in the steroid era, but I don't think I've ever seen his name mentioned. Maybe Ken Griffey Jr. could go in there, as well.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would add Mussina as I think he is just borderline enough to get in. Posada will be an interesting case.

----------

You could argue that the HOF has to many underserving players in now. Like all hall of fames they should be reserved for the best of the best. In a perfect world there would only be maybe 150 people in.

8. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Yes, I was very borderline on Griffey just because of the history of injuries, but as I said in my last post I'd probably group him in with Thomas.

But see, that shows just how difficult it is to look at any hitter objectively, even if they haven't been explicitly named.

And now with Clemens and Pettitte grabbing headlines, pitchers may be in the same boat...

9. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I updated my original post when I saw I neglected two of my favorite Yankees. Moose's career was "almost". Almost a perfect game, almost a WS, almost a CY winner. Glad he at least got the 20 win season. I hope he gets in and I've read a ton on it that his stats are favorable to others that are in.

Posada, tough tough call. I don't think the Yankees will issue another #20 but I'm not sure about a HOF call.

----------

Even with the injuries, Griffey had a first-ballot HOF career. It's just sad to think what stats he'd have if he could have stayed healthy. Add in the titles/awards and gold gloves in CF, no brainer.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Posada just like Pettitte would get in based on post season numbers.