First Confirmed US Ebola Case

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The first confirmed case of Ebola in the US. Patient in Dallas. CDC has confirmed. Press conference at 5:30 EDT from Atlanta.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Will be interested to hear more details when they have the press conference. My guess is the patient is a healthcare worker who was volunteering in Africa. Fortunately the US has good enough sanitation and Public Health workers will be all over this to track down anyone else that might have been exposed that it is not very likely to be able to spread.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I'm sure this one is contained. What worries me are the ebola-positive people walking around not knowing that they have the disease. Probability would indicate there are some...probably.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You think it might be time to quarantine people who have traveled from the countries with Ebola outbreaks?

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

No need too, it's very unlikely that it will start spreading quickly and any outbreaks will be easily contained by healthcare systems in western nations.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I do...

That is what I am worried about, "contained by healthcare systems".

8. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I agree that it could be time for a verified quarantine for people who wish to come to the USA from countries in this region. And that quarantine needs to be there, not here. This one is a Liberian that travelled to the USA.

9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I think people in general are confused about how contagious Ebola is. It's not very contagious for the average American. It doesn't travel through the air, so that isn't a huge scare. It passes through exchange of bodily fluid, so in reality it's more of an HIV/Hep B level than a true H1N1 type scare from 2009-2010.

I am only slightly nervous as my wife is a physician, and they're at much higher risk, but even then, it's not a huge concern yet.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If you can believe the reporting, this case seems to be contained. I'm undecided on the need for quarantine. It spreads by contact with fluids, not airborne. That makes a huge difference for controlling any outbreak. And as long as we have antibiotics/antibody treatments that work, no problem.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yep, and the bad thing is the media is probably going to use this case to scare people into giving them more page views.

12. AustinIllini, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Hopefully we get some silver lining and this expedites the vaccination process. We are fortunate to live in a health care system like this, but other people are not so fortunate.

13. malman89 macrumors 68000

Story I read (Forget source - Top Stories on Google via Feedly) didn't take an alarmist view, but I'm sure CNN has some huge scary banner taking up its homepage and screen right now.

Seems like he was just from Africa and in the US visiting family. The disease is not contagious until the person has symptoms, which was after he arrived in the US, so it seems like there's no need to worry about the flight passengers.

I don't think it's just the bold, never sick, no allergy 25 year old male talking when I say I'm not too concerned about this singular case in the United States at this time.

14. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I never get sick either. I am a carrier, I have everything. If you got it, it probably came from me.

16. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

It is a virus, not a microbe, so antibiotics won't work. And the current supply of antibodies is only sufficient to help people in the number of tens (At least, that was the current state of supply a couple of weeks ago, and I'd be surprised if it has increased much more than that already).

17. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Sweat is a bodily fluid. Somebody with ebola sweats on a door handle and a public place, you touch the door handle right afterwards, you got ebola.

18. AustinIllini, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

First Confirmed US Ebola Case

Extremely unlikely, especially when you consider the person has to be symptomatic when the are sweating.

You're far more likely to die of the flu. Go vaccinate yourself.

19. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

"If" they are symptomatic then yes it is "possible", though the setting has to be right, so yes still unlikely. People are being told to not even shake hands with others right now in some parts of Africa.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/res/psds-ftss/ebola-eng.php

20. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Filoviruses are not shed in sweat, so there's no chance of this occurring.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the correction. However, I'm under the impression that (antibody?) treatments have worked quite well.

22. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

http://www.afro.who.int/en/clusters...ked-questions-on-ebola-hemorrhagic-fever.html

Also http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/content/179/Supplement_1/S36.long

The concern isn't you shake someone infected sweaty hand and your infected but you shake someone's infected hand or touch something they recently touched, you get it on your hands and you touch your face, eyes, mouth, ect or an open broken skin of some kind. Then your chances have just increased.

23. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

That's misleading. There has never been documented presence of filoviruses in sweat.

A "concern" is not a fact. You need to re-read that paper carefully, especially the data presented in Figure 3.

24. mudslag, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Hence why I said "possible". I can only go off of what Iv found, I haven't found anything that says it's impossible and you haven't provided anything showing it's impossible. Im more then willing to agree with you if you can provide something that shows that. Til then Ill stick to the notion that it's possible.

Edit: Iv yet to find any data on sweat specifically, but I do see health organizations are including it in possible transmission methods for playing it safe.

25. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Well, that is the big question! Their sample size is so small (3 people i believe?), and the patients have been given the antibody quite late in the infection stage, so it may have assisted in helping, or it may just have been coincidence since it is possible that vastly better healthcare in the US may have been the reason - Because I would be surprised if they haven't been given some antiviral medicine at the same time.

But of course, it looks positive so far since none of them died so far, although that is definitely not statistically significant with the ~55% death rate. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.