First Cracked Screen :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Christopher387A, May 21, 2012.

1. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    So after having every iPhone since the start, I got my first cracked screen. I was sitting on my bed and the phone was next to me. I heard a few pop sounds that almost sounded like fizzling sounds. Looked down and my screen had cracked completely across from the bottom left to the top right. no one was even near it! (I know, no one will believe it :rolleyes:) All I can think of is that I must have had a stress fracture that finally let go. I've been caseless for about 4 months and have dropped it a few times with no damage so it had a good run.

What are my options for replacing this? I assume apple is a no go without the cost of a new phone.

[​IMG]

2. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Third party aftermarket screen. About $50+. Apple store, $199 or if you are lucky free.

3. ideal.dreams, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

You don't have many options - if you take it to an Apple store (that's if you have one nearby) you might get a genius who's had a good day and will replace it at no cost. Otherwise it'll be $199 to replace the whole phone (they don't have the parts to replace just the screen, so they will just replace the entire phone) through them. You can also replace it yourself, but doing so WILL void the warranty, so if for any reason you have a problem while you're doing that, Apple will NOT help you under any circumstances.

My sister just broke her screen and I attempted to replace it myself but ordered the wrong part, so make sure if you choose to do this you get the glass WITH the LCD screen. Ordering just the glass will not work because the LCD in the current screen is fused to the whole front piece of glass - you won't be able to separate it without damaging it.

4. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

If it's an iPhone 4 and not a 4S it will only cost you $149 at the Apple Store.

Otherwise, third party sellers and people who fix these things should charge at most like, $80!

5. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

The safest choice would be to just take it to the apple store and get it replaced from there. If you have Applecare+ then you would only have to pay $49 for a replacement (you can do this twice and after that it is $199). As was said, you may be lucky if the genius replaces it for free but it all depends on who you get.

I know $199 is a lot of money but things happen.

6. Christopher387A thread starter Guest

I may try a place local (icracked.com tech) and see how much they are. Closest apple store is an hour and a half away, plus at $149 it doesn't sound promising.

7. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

If it's an iPhone 4 and your contract is up you can upgrade to a refurbished iPhone 4S for $149...or a new one for $199. That's what we did after I wasn't able to fix my sister's phone. We sold the broken one on eBay for parts and it covered the cost of the new phone and then some.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

A broken screen or glass back is extremely common. As a result, most indepent repair shops have lots of experience and do a very good job.

My wife dropped hers. She took it to our nearby Apple Store & they pressured her to buy a new phone. Luckily she's not a pushover and walked out.

The next day I took it to the independent shop not far from me & he replaced the glass while I waited. It looks like new & only cost $39.00 total.

Under very close scrutiny side by side with mine, the glass he used is identical. Just as he promised. I'm very satisfied.

9. citivolus macrumors 6502a

Not for nothing, but is anyone else interested in how this crack happened with the phone just sitting there?

10. Christopher387A thread starter Guest

All I can think of is that it was stress to the screen from one of the previous drops I've had. The phone was sitting there with no one near it while I was on my iPad when I heard the pop sounds.

I'm not going to play the innocent card and say I kept the phone in bubble wrap and it was no way my fault as I'm sure one of the other drops contributed, but nothing damaged the phone to cause it to crack last night.

11. Christopher387A thread starter Guest

Took the phone to Apple and they ended up replacing the phone and giving me a new one for free! He looked it over and said because there was no spiderwebbing or fracture marks, and o marks from user applied damage it was most likely a manufacturing defect covered under warranty. Apple just won me over as a customer again just when I was wanting to try android. :apple:

12. XenonXTZ macrumors newbie

I purchased a screen for my iphone 4 recently from amazon.
    Got it replaced within 45 minutes. Quite easy.
    I can't tell the difference between the LCD quality and the digitiser.
    The only thing that I can't test is the glass, which I'm quite sure is not a gorilla glass thing. But it looks sturdy. Not plastic.
    The most interesting part. I got it for $28 shipping included. Tools were included as well.
    I hope this helps

13. twigman08 macrumors 6502

Yes, Apple's customer service is amazing. I had a really weird dead pixel problem on my iPhone 4 where half my screen was basically dead (not cracked at all) so I made an appointment at the Apple store. Walked in for my appointment and showed them what was happening. They immeidately got a phone out to replace it with and within 15 minutes I was ready to go. I just spent some time in the store waiting for my iCloud backup to be done. Within 15-20 minutes I was walking out of the store like nothing had ever happened. Hard to say that about any other phone or company

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When I first brought my 4S on release day, a week later on my way home from the Apple Store no less (and an empty pocket otherwise), somehow a crack developed next to the home button.

That was pretty crappy feeling since I had to go back to the store and get it exchange immediately (and they gave a "refurbished" device—though I suspect it's a new one). They wouldn't provide a courtesy replacement because I had AppleCare+; that was what they said: if I had no AppleCare+, the replacement would have been free with manager override.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Well that's pretty ridiculous. :(

16. RMC Tech macrumors newbie

RMC Tech

Like everyone said - 3rd party screen, massive chance of breaking it (it's not as easy as the videos make it look), Apple (pricey) or a repair company that specializes in it. My company does that, but you should be able to find someone local. Google it! Good luck :) :apple:

17. mason.smith1975 macrumors member

Did you tell the guy at Genius bar that you cracked the phone by sitting on it? How was your conversation between you and him? Please, I've broken my iPhone screen, too. Thank you.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its magic.
    Glass just breaks on its own when noone is near it:D

19. me61ic macrumors newbie

Look for a third party screen replacement on eBay and refit yourself following the instructions here:
    ifixit.com

Also if it was a 4 or 4S and the proximity sensor stops working after the replacement follow this instructions on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX9oMrHb1_4
    and it will work again.

I had a broken screen a couple of months ago, and have since changed 4 or 5 3GS screens, one 3G LCD and a couple of 4 screens (a bit harder but if you follow the instructions carefully can be done)

20. mason.smith1975 macrumors member

just came back from Apple Store and they replaced my cracked iPhone with a brand new one at a free charge. Best service I've seen. Thanks all of your comments.

21. Christopher387A thread starter Guest

No I didn't, since I didn't sit on the phone. But thanks for your concern. :rolleyes:

22. AFDoc, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

AFDoc macrumors 68030

Are you suggesting they will let him upgrade the 4 for a 4s for a simple $149 payment or are you suggesting they sign a new 2 year agreement? Your post is a bit confusing IMHO.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He's talking about signing a new contract and selling the old broken iphone 4.