First day of civil unions in Illinois!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jun 1, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yay! It's about time!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...civil-union-licenses-20110601,0,3760549.story

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

*looks out his office window into Illinois*

Yep. It's still there. They haven't been taken over by Satan, the gays, or anything else that the bigots said would happen if gay people get equal rights. The existence of Illinois, or the world as we know it, has not ended.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The sky is still up there too. ;)

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

All over Illinois, married people are waking up to discover that their marriages are just as ****** as they were yesterday. :D

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

There will be be a few nutcases over at Daley plaza today, I guess- all 5 of them. :)

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Don't wanna rain on your parade Lee, but my state legalized civil unions 4 years ago, and unfortunately it's been a failure. There is a lot of confusion when it comes to civil unions, a lot of people have no idea what they really mean. If they just called it marriage, it would put an end to the confusion. We have an NJ Civil Union Review Commission that was set up when the law was passed, they have declared civil unions a failure. Here is a link to their final report...
    http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcr/downloads/CURC-Final-Report-.pdf

"I gave them all of my relative information, including the fact that…
    Naomi and I are civil union partners, please give her all of the
    information when she does arrive, here is my consent…By the time that
    Naomi arrived at the hospital, I was in a state where I really couldn’t talk
    to her… I really couldn’t tell her what was happening to me, what any of
    the test results were…. So, [Naomi] asked the attending emergency room
    physician to tell her what was happening with me…. And he said, “who
    are you?” And she said, “well, I’m her partner.” And he said, “I can’t
    give you any information, you know, I need her consent.” And I wasn’t
    in any state of mind to give my consent…. And she had to explain to him
    what civil unions were. And he wasn’t, you know, quite sure at first. He
    was reluctant to give my information. He did not understand, and hadn’t
    heard of civil unions before."

7. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

i do not see why people freak out about the socalled gay marriage thing..i want them to have the same right as me .so when they walk through the door of divorce court ..they can be shafted right along with the rest of the people and not be a protected class in that area..

i want them to feel what it like when the judge is handing down crazy idea's on child support and other things and see how they like when they are getting the run around by the court system ..

then they will understand why most of the men out there hate the court system after beening draged through the divorce court coals a couple of times to stand and say hey that not right and we need to fix the system and stop makeing it one side all the time towards the female not the male

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Nasty divorce huh?

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It's still a good first step. And just because it hasn't worked in NJ, does not mean they won't here. This is the first step toward full equal rights.

You post something like this and you're actually surprised your divorce was nasty? Wow.

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

It is a good first step for sure, but ultimately gay marriage won't be decided on a state level. The US Supreme Court will take care of this issue sometime in the near future. If you wait for all 50 states to pass gay marriage you will be waiting another 40 years.

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'll be dead by then. ;)

Nah- you're right, it's gonna happen probably within the next ten years.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It is progress that is for sure but still not all the way there.

marriage is the end goal.

I think that is way to low for all 50 states. I am willing to bet a fair number of states will not pass it until the federal government forced them 2.

13. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Hope so. It's gonna be so much fun watching the states that passed gay marriage bans cry about "states rights". I wonder what their reaction was back in 1967 was when the supreme court legalized interracial marriage. Do you think they still made some attempts to deny interracial couples marriage licenses? What was their punishment if they did? Like how is the federal government going to force the states to recognize same sex marriage when the supreme court rules on it?

14. leekohler, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Aww! When I was out to get lunch I saw two ladies at Daley Plaza with their license. They were so happy.

15. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Lee are you ever going to get married? If you are we are all expecting invitations.

16. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Live stream it? :D

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

<---- My acknowledgement.

That is a horse of a different colour.

Not saying it won't happen, sometime, but Lee embraces his independence as much as he does his personal choice.

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Ya know, who knows? I have not dated anybody for quite while, as I've been busy doing a lot of work on myself the last few years. After my last relationship, it became obvious that I had some work to do. I think I'm in a pretty good place now, so I'm good to try again.

So we'll see. I'm fine either way, but I have been feeling the nesting instinct lately.

If I ever do get married, it's gonna one awesome party, I can tell you that. :)

Oh- don't worry. If I do end up with someone, it will be someone who values his independence just as much as I do. If you know what I mean. ;)

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

There's always a nasty mean-spirited oaf behind one counter or the other. The Federal government doesn't really do much in such cases; instead, the people who are harmed can go to Federal court and seek a writ of mandamus to compel the clerk (or whoever it is) to do his/her job.

If the Federal government passes a new civil rights act that includes sexual orientation, it could also be possible to bring a private prosecution (aka sue for $$$$) against the department that failed to comply, but again, it would have to be the person(s) who was injured that would do it.

In any case, this is good news. One more rung on the ladder for LGBT people, one more chink in the increasingly decrepit armor of discrimination. :)

20. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

21. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Congratulations. :)

Here, on the other hand, pretty miserable and rainy.

Sadly not surprising, and yeah, that is indeed the solution. That's what happens with a "separate but equal" legal ghetto, but it's certainly appropriate to celebrate it when it's still a step forward.

You do raise a damned good question: If a couple walks into a divorce court and neither of them is female, how does the judge know whom to give everything to?

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Nothing. That's enough. ;)

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I am afraid the liberal cause downstate will be more difficult now. I am so very happy that my state is finally doing the right thing, I just hope this doesn't encourage or embolden the right-wing nuts downstate.

All I ask of my upstate friends is don't turn this into a series of bizarre photo ops that the right-wing conservatives down here can use to stir up controversy and hatred.

25. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sorry- bizarre photo ops? WTF do you mean, dude? So people shouldn't be themselves because you live around a bunch of idiots? **** that, and **** your idiot downstate rednecks.