First Dent - Out of Luck With Repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ldiggy, Jun 24, 2012.

1. ldiggy macrumors newbie

So yesterday, like a complete idiot, I tossed my iPad onto the bed and lo and behold it landed right on top of my brand new retina MacBook Pro (lid closed). I now have a quite unsightly dent on the top of my laptop. Am I basically out of luck now as far as getting it repaired? My guess would be that I have to get the entire screen replaced, which I'm sure would be a ridiculous amount of money, but I'm hoping someone here knows of something different.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. The "Dude" macrumors regular

That kinda sucks! I doubt they would replace it, unless you claimed it arrived that way (which would be unethical ;) ). There may be some cases/skins out there that might hide it. Or, just look at it as adding character.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm sure you can have it repaired/replaced. Take it to Apple and they can give you a quote.

4. Skjetne macrumors member

I would have killed myself!.. Du you have insurance? or as the dude says, buy a cover.

5. randomnut macrumors member

You're still within your 14 day return time, so try your luck.

6. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

This same thing happened with my last laptop...it was so minor but man it pissed me off. Maybe, if you bought it from Apple or Best Buy, just return it within the grace period and go buy a new one right after. A lot of times if you're returning stuff retailers don't look too hard...unless of course it's like a major dent.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The 14 day return policy doesn't include damaged items.

8. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

try

If you bought it with an American Express card, your covered for accidental for 90 days. Other than that if its within 14, try and return it...best of luck

9. randomnut macrumors member

No but if it's not too noticeable you could always just say you don't want it due to (legitimate) poor battery performance and hope they don't notice.

10. Skjetne macrumors member

Can you please upload a picture? I'm really curious now..

11. OCICILIONI macrumors member

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's an old saying: "What goes around, comes around" :rolleyes:

13. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Not sure that would help against dropping an iPad on the lid. Maybe something like a Speck hard shell.

OP: First thing to do would be to take it into the Apple store, tell them the truth, and see what the repair cost will be. If it's super expensive you could just keep using it as is, maybe with a shell case to hide the dent.

14. Rmafive macrumors 6502

I am fairly certain that you can return the computer no matter what is wrong with it within 14 days. Then you could just buy another and be more careful! You should definitely call AppleCare though.

15. serb macrumors newbie

so if set my MBP on fire on the 13th day and carted the charred remains to Apple, they'd be cool? guess what i'll be trying..... :p

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Apple doesn't really repair dents. They replace major parts. I'd live with it. These things are only maddening at first, and the repair cost is likely to be ridiculous.

17. golu14 macrumors regular

Id say to sell it right now!
    The immense pressure would ultimately lead to craking lcd within a week or two of use! Ive experienced it on my previous macbook :p

----------

I remember eminem saying that too lol

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The problem is the lid and display assembly are now a single unit. You need to replace the lid, you replace the display and since its not covered we're talking $$

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Quite true. Of course, I made no speculation as to the cost, but it can be repaired/replaced. I would expect it to be expensive and there may be a delay, waiting for parts.