First Drone Strikes Under Trump Administration have happened

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Jan 23, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

2. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Is this sarcasm? Or were there really people on the left who voted for Trump because they thought he'd stop using drones?

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

What far left liberals support Trump? Are you talking about the Republicans who became anti war when a Democrat was doing it?

4. Zenithal macrumors 68040

If people expect the US or UK to limit their drone operations because of a change in government from one extreme to another, or from one party to another of the same party, they're deluding themselves.

5. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

6. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I have seen some Bernie supporters who didn't like Clinton's perceived hawkishness and some did vote for Trump in the hope that he would be non interventionist in world affairs when it comes to drones.

Heck, there are a few posters in this very forum that have complained about Obama's use of drones and who support Trump. So, I am wondering how this makes them feel?

7. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Oh. Well I guess if anyone hoped Trump wouldn't use drones to take out ISIS even though he said he would then they fall in the "low information voter" crowd.

8. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Remember that the military is the same military. It's not like Trump became President, and the military shut down and ceased all currently running operations, plans, and strategies and said we'll just sit on our a$$ until Trump hands us a totally rewritten playbook and operation strategy.

And, it says right in the article that it didn't need to get approval from Trump or his new Defense Secretary. In other words, Obama rule book gave them authority to proceed without asking Trump or the Defense Secretary.

Original Poster is just baiting for the sake of arguing.

9. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

As said plenty of times. Democrats only complain about war when republicans are waging it. That's is hipocrisy

10. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No I most certainly am not. If you don't want to be informed of what is going on in the world or have a discussion about current events that's not my problem.

And just because this action is on some sort of Obama autopilot does not mean that Trump could not stop it if so inclined.

11. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Deflection noted.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

drones of boots take your pick.

We're not going to back out of the ME so those are your choices.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

The title is a bit misleading, but thanks for the info. One thing we will have to look at is how Trump will use the military and "surgical" strikes. Of course - as another poster noted - things are not going to change overnight.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm sorry, when the hell did we declare war on Yemen? I know our sanctions have caused the biggest starvation event currently on the planet (just as Clinton did in Iraq at the time, which was "worth it" according to Albright...despite being a ****ing war crime) but we are waging an illegal war there started under Obama.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Agreed. The Yemeni situation has always disturbed me as an illegal action no one is paying attention to.

17. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

We haven't declared war in any of our lifetimes and we probably won't. Whether you, me, or anyone else likes it we've extended GWOT to cover all manner of brush fire's with the executives pen.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

I didn't click on the article - but what did they do - play Trump's speech over and over? Was it that kind of drone attack?

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I understand that, but the notion that it's boots or drones is neoliberal rhetorical ********. Perhaps we should stop waging covert war ginning up instability in the years before we decide to start our bombing runs? We've had SpecOps doing house raids (again, illegally) in Yemen since at least 2006 (the "prep" actions, if you will)

Maybe, and maybe I'm just crazy, but maybe other countries resent us for raiding their lands and killing people with secret actions while publicly pointing to the instability we have a major hand in creating as a grounds for explicit warfare?

Perhaps we should stop creating the extremist backlashes we're supposedly at war against?

20. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

We are not going to back out of the middle east and we are not going to stop breaking things over there we've been doing it for decades that's not an option.

We have two options for the time being drones or boots take your pick.

Maybe in four more years we'll elect people that want to stop breaking things in the ME and can add the third choice but until 2020 we're going to continue on continuing on.

21. RedOrchestra Suspended

Hasn't that become the gist of almost every PRSI thread ... as they say, "makin' mountains outta molehills"

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Again, I completely agree. (Scary! ;) )
    US foreign policy has been over simplistic at least since the fall of the Berlin Wall: "I bomb ya." This has to stop, immediately, and the US have to start recognizing the soverignity of other countries. We took the "American interest" to the next step. One thing is stopping a madman with a nuclear warhead pointed to San Francisco, one thing is stopping the invasion of a regional area. Another thing is making up WMD to invade a soveirgn country, finance "rebels" and bomb a soveirgn country that doesn't want us, and bomb more countries just because we can. This has to stop.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 24, 2017 ---
    There's a third option: respect Yemeni sovereignty, let them deal with the issue. If they don't want to, bad deal. If they want to, help them financially - *IF* they ask - and that's it.

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

We had our opportunity to stop with Sanders but that didn't happen because it's somebody else's kid in flag draped coffin or just some brown guy in a country I've never heard of.

In other words change didn't happen because we don't want it bad enough, everything starts with the refection in the mirror.

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am not going to say what Trump will do (too early), or what Sanders would've done (it's sci-fi at this point). I can judge the recent past (1990 onward) and my conclusion is not really a happy one.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sanders, for as much as I love the guy, was never interested in taking on the neoliberal foreign policy in earnest, merely curbing the excesses that Obama continued.

As for the coffin notion, are you suggesting that Yemen is going to attack the USA? I know a way to calm down those desperate people, let's bomb them via Saudi Arabia with bombs sporting the grand old flag we love so much. Surely will never blowback on us....