First Embryonic Stem-Cell Trial Gets Approval From the FDA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by XnavxeMiyyep, Jan 24, 2009.

1. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

2. spazattack674 macrumors regular

3. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Brilliant. I have great faith in America for this type of research. I believe that there will be terrific breakthroughs. Letting the Americans get back to what they are best at will help us all.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Excellent stuff. Sadly if there are breakthroughs there are now eight years worth of sufferers who won't benefit, but at least finally there is movement coming out of US labs.

5. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

It's definitely good that this is happening, but it's kind of sad that allowing scientific progress is not the default position of all US administrations.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Better late than never; but we can thank Bush and the GOP for giving the rest of the world an eight-year head start on this technology.

It was always all about petty politics anyway. Almost no one in the GOP said boo about IVF clinics, but got their collective knickers in a major twist over stem cell research. Hypocrites.

7. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Only one thing though: I haven't heard of any significant breakthroughs based on embryonic stem cell research since 2001. Meanwhile, I know of over 100 medical therapies now in testing or approved based on adult stem cell research.

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Where have you been reading? I can direct you to some up to date research if you like :). Just let me know what area you're interested in. Up until recently I did stem cell research for a living :). Alternatively if you haven't already and want to get an idea of the overall breadth of research that's being done just type in embryonic stem cells into the search at pubmed. It'll give you a good idea of the amount of research being done but unfortunately you won't be able to access many of the papers unless you have institutional access.

Have you got a list of this 100+ handy? I'd like to use (for my own purposes) if that's cool :).

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Adult stem cell research has been done for about 80 years. Embryonic stem cell research has been done for about 14 years. If you subtract the last 8 years, now you're talking about 6 years.

Until you can convince adult cells to undergo complete chromatin remodeling, you will never be able to use them for organ production, only for cell replacement therapy.