First gay couple legally marries in Texas

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
It's a start.

Despite Texas’ statewide ban on gay marriage, county officials in Austin married a same-sex couple on Thursday under a one-time court order issued for medical reasons.

Travis County spokeswoman Ginny Ballard said the marriage occurred Thursday, though it wasn’t immediately clear if the license has legal standing. The marriage followed a state District Court order instructing that officials not rely on Texas’ unconstitutional prohibitions on same-sex marriage.

Texas’ decade-old, voter-approved ban on gay marriage was declared unconstitutional in federal court last year, but the judge stayed the ruling to allow the state to appeal.

The license was issued exclusively for Sarah Goodfriend and Suzanne Bryant, who married in a ceremony presided over by a rabbi immediately after a marriage license was issued. County Clerk Dana Debeauvoir said one of the women, who live in Austin, “has severe and immediate health concerns.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20150219-first-gay-couple-legally-marries-in-texas-under-one-time-order.ece

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Happy but still sad news as one of them had to be terminally ill in my understand for them to get the license now.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Fantastic. Now they can have sex and sire children.
They have 2 children. So you can check that off the list....

And shockingly...

Texas court blocks future gay marriages after lesbians wed

AUSTIN, Texas — The Texas Supreme Court has issued an emergency order blocking gay couples from obtaining marriage licenses after a lesbian couple wed in Austin.

Thursday’s ruling doesn’t invalidate the marriage of the two women who were allowed to marry hours earlier based on a one-time court order issued for health reasons. One of the women has cancer.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton says he is seeking to void the marriage license through other means, though he didn’t provide details.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Sounds like your thread title needs an edit ;)

Might I suggest something along the lines of "possible first legal gay marriage in Texas"
So far most constitutional scholars are saying the marriage is valid at this time, though the AG here is certainly trying to find a way to void it.

Because taking a legal marriage away from a dying woman and her family is certainly in the best interest of all who reside in the great state of Texas. I'm sure people all over the state will rejoice that their own families were saved from such foolishness.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Sounds like your thread title needs an edit ;)

Might I suggest something along the lines of "possible first legal gay marriage in Texas"
So far most constitutional scholars are saying the marriage is valid at this time, though the AG here is certainly trying to find a way to void it.

Because taking a legal marriage away from a dying woman and her family is certainly in the best interest of all who reside in the great state of Texas. I'm sure people all over the state will rejoice that their own families were saved from such foolishness.
The marriage is legal. But Ken Paxton is still searching for ways to invalidate the marriage of a loving couple with children who have been married 31 years and is dealing with a life threatening illness. Texas keepin' it classy as always.

The highest court in Texas issued an emergency order to block same-sex marriages from proceeding in the state after two women who’ve been together for 31 years were finally married Thursday morning. The declaration from the Texas Supreme Court does not invalidate the marriage of Sarah Goodfriend and Suzanne Bryant, who wed after they were denied the chance to legally marry eight years ago. A lawyer petitioned on their behalf and District Judge David Wahlberg ordered the county clerk to grant the women the license. In the petition, the women claimed that not obtaining a license was causing them irreparable harm, because Goodfriend has ovarian cancer. Gay marriage has been illegal in Texas since 1997, but two rulings that found the ban unconstitutional are being appealed. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said he is still intending to find a way to invalidate the marriage.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
One of our best friends (male, gay) has 2 kids with a woman (female, lesbian), they are two years apart and both have apparently been conceived via turkey baster. Talking about master basting....

The technical aspect of conception really is totally irrelevant for all questions. Seriously, people who react surprised about gays having kids seem pretty dumb and extremely ignorant to me.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
No worries. I've talked about it on here before. :D

I did artificial insemination and became pregnant with twins on the first shot. They'll be 8 in March!
Twins seem to be semi-common with that particular option :) We have some good friends that wound up doing an egg+ insemination (in a proxy) and had twins, and they'll be 8 in September [I believe]. :)

Our little G (one and only) will be 7 in March. I'll be ... umm, something in March :D

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
The marriage is legal. But Ken Paxton is still searching for ways to invalidate the marriage of a loving couple with children who have been married 31 years and is dealing with a life threatening illness. Texas keepin' it classy as always.
The entire fascist-christian movment has been an absolute blast to watch - from Alabama's Ray Moore to Sally Kern - to the point where I sincerely hope that they take their "my 'god's wrath' will destroy our country"-fear so serious that it'll drive them into total insanity :D .