First GOP Debate - Who won?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, May 6, 2011.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

There is an interesting discussion in the link re: who FoxNews thinks won the debate and how they performed.

2. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

From my perspective Ron Paul 'won' on the issues, but that' because I tend to agree with his positions. If I had to pick one candidate who gained the most politically from this venue, it would no doubt be Herman Cain... Definitely a strong figure who has the potential to make a serious dent in the 90%+ Obama approval rating of blacks. Although I'm sure he'll have to deal with a wide variety of liberals or those in the NAACP and similar organizations saying he's an 'uncle tom' or the like. :rolleyes:

Listening to Ron Paul point out the hypocrisy of other Republicans and essentially get the entire South Carolina (generally very socially conservative) audience to applaud legalizing things like heroin was absolutely astounding. His position as the 'godfather of the Tea Party' is going to be a HUGE asset to him in the upcoming months. I anticipate that if he can keep his energy up and keep his answers short, to the point, and philosophical, he'll really surprise some people come caucus/primary season.

Santorum? He's a neo-con, pure and simple.

Ron Paul's supporters raise $1,000,000.00 in a money bomb yesterday.
    CNN poll shows Ron Paul is most likely in GOP field to defeat Obama.

3. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Ron Paul tends to poll well at the early events, but he always runs out of steam when the "neo-cons" and their corporate money spend him into oblivion. Can he raise enough money to compete, and can he survive all the skeletons in his closet?

4. fivepoint, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011

fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

He has no skeletons in his closet. The best I've seen anyone try and come up with is that at some point, like 20 years ago, there was a newsletter published in his name where someone (not Ron) posted a few articles that had racist overtones. There's zero evidence he was involved at all, there's zero facts that support the argument that would carry any weight in a court of law, and the implications that he's a racist directly and specifically contradict his well established views on individuals, individual liberty, and the constitution/declaration relating to valuing all humans equally, etc.

Any attack in that regard is quite simply, baseless fear-mongering by politically motivated partisan hacks.

Here's all you need to know about Ron Paul:
    He voted against the Patriot Act.
    He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
    He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
    He voted against the Iraq war.
    He has never voted to raise taxes.
    He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.
    He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
    He has never taken a government-paid junket.

He's a true small-government conservative who's equally against the warfare state and the welfare state. He actually believes in the constitution and that liberty should be protected at all costs. There are several people in congress now who talk his talk, but none have years and years of record to prove they walk the walk.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

That's all I need to know?! Gee, thanks mister!:rolleyes:

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Who "won" the GOP debate?

Who cares? None of them are going to be President, and the chances are reasonably good that none of the participants will even be the GOP sacrificial lamb, err, nominee.

7. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

You sound like the Republicans in 1991-92.

Believe me, given the financial crisis, the fact that we're in 3 wars abroad, unemployment higher last month than the 8 months prior, a transformative healthcare bill passed, there's a TON of potential for a right wing White House contender. Anyone who says Obama is unbeatable doesn't understand politics. That being said, Obama is very likeable, very charismatic. He will be hard to beat.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

No matter who "won":

1) It's way early to make any predictions.
    2) It will be interesting to see how far right these guys will need to swing to secure the "base" and win the party nomination.
    3) Whoever wins the Republican nomination will have to swing back towards the center to capture the independent vote.

10. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

So the only budget he voted for was Bill Clinton's?
    Did he refuse the pay raises?
    How could he not raise taxes and still vote for balanced budgets? Either he voted for no budgets or Bill Clinton's, right? If none, then he goes to DC and does what? Obstructs? That could easily be a target for attack, right?
    He has happily included earmarks in legislation he knew was going to pass.
    As for the power of the executive branch, what was his position on the Dick Cheney secrety energy meetings and exercise of executive privilege? I don't remember.

While I agree Ron Paul talks a good game, he has skeletons in his closet that are easily far more serious than the crap Karl Rove and the right-wing slimebags used against Dukakis, Clinton, Kerry, Gore and now Obama.

You can't possibly think that his racist newsletters and his stance on the civil rights act are smaller targets than the President's citizenship?

11. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I would bet a LOT that I have just a bit more experience in politics than you do . . . ;)

The chances of a GOP candidate beating Obama in 2012, evaluated today, are slim. The economy is improving, there has been a significant victory in the "war on terror," and he has already started fundraising--and in an unusual twist will is projected to substantially outraise any of the GOP candidates.

12. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

From Wiki

I.E. citizens pay nothing and the government does nothing.
    Everyone fends for themselves.
    The guy is nuts.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Pretty much. Not a fan at all.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm sorry, but I think fp told us everything we need to know. He said so in bold, right before the colon. ;)

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Donald Trump has a better shot at being President than Ron Paul.

Actually, he's a "frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex,"

Cite

16. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Ron Paul.

The perfect cross between a liberal and a conservative.

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

lolwut!? :confused:

18. 184550 Guest

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm..no.

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I'm still laughing :p

21. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Just watched it and I wasn't impressed at all. To me it looked like Ron Paul was far and away the best candidate, and that scares the heck out of me.

P-Worm

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If Ron Paul was the best, we have no worries.

23. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You underestimate the ability of the U.S. electorate to completely mess things up.

The pessimist in me agrees with Paul Simon in 1968:

24. leekohler, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh no- I'm not lazy at all. I know we have to fight the stupid. We definitely cannot rest on our laurels.

It probably feels that way in Florida. Lots of idiots in that state. Do yourself a favor, and start believing in yourself and your neighbors. Talk to them. Tell them why you think things need to change. Organize and fight. Do not think for one minute that you are powerless.

Conservatives want to divide and conquer, and they're very good at that. Don't let them do it. Stand together and stand strong. Work together and they will never win.

These jackasses have convinced us all that we have no one to rely on but ourselves. That's a load of crap. We are all part of a team. Some of us are stronger at times and weaker at others. The moment we throw our weaker teammates to the dogs is when we lose. Because quite honestly, everyone has a strength that helps the team. There is a place for everyone to shine.

Some of us are good at math, some science, some art, some sports. And you know what? All of us fall down at some point.

Right now, none of us want to help anyone else get up. You know why? Because we can't. That ability is being taken away from us. All we can do is take care of our own homes because any social safety net has been taken away because a few abuse the system, and conservatives tell us that there should be no safety net because a few abuse it.

Don't listen to them. We are still a team. We all still have a place and we all deserve to shine. Let's work together and make this country a great place where people not only do well as individuals, but help others become great as well. We can accomplish much more together than we can apart.

When I moved to Chicago in 1992, there was a slogan written on all the L trains, "I Will". Coming from Ohio, where everyone said I was crazy to move to the city and I would end up in the gutter, that was a refreshing sentiment. What I discovered is that there were so many people in this city willing to help me do what I wanted. Chicago is very team oriented. Everyone has value and everyone can make a difference. Find your strength and use it. Someone will be there to help you. Conservatives don't like this at all. If you can't do it all by yourself, then you are worthless. That is their motto. That's how they conquered Ohio and made people feel alone and worthless.

Well, I say **** that BS. United we stand. When we work together, we can make miracles happen. No one person can do anything alone- not even Steve Jobs or Bill Gates (and they will admit this).

I'm tired of this conservative propaganda that says everyone has to work alone. It's counter-productive. The force of one has nothing against the force of many. Teamwork is the best weapon against prejudice there is.

Do not let these idiots defeat us. There are more of us than them. Let's work together to make this country great. We can do it. But no one person can do it alone.

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

^ This.

Conservatives are really big on "rugged individualism" (read: I got mine, and the hell with you). And they try to portray the "team" concept that lee is talking about as a faceless, mindless dystopia, but really what lee's talking about is something that is neither selfish nor dystopic. It's a connectedness that says I can be me without having to put you down. It's a connection that says we all have different abilities and talents, and that while we can do great things by and for ourselves, we can also do great things together.

And that is the basis for most if not all liberal/progressive thought. Also the core of pretty much everything conservatives hate.

I thought that was Barack Obama. ;)