First Government-Operated Marijuana Shop

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Being near the Oregon border cannot hurt too much. Unless Oregon shops have much lower prices.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Since this thread will almost certainly attract the "government is taking over crowd", let me point out now that states like Alabama and Mississippi have long maintained government-run Liquor stores.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
It will be interesting to see how long it will take the conspiracists who believe that the government is slandering the all-natural harmless mind-expanding cannabis to denounce the government for selling that evil killer-weed cannabis.

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
It's a small municipality who decided it was smarter (and more profitable) to open a pot shop than raising taxes or installing red-light cameras.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Since this thread will almost certainly attract the "government is taking over crowd", let me point out now that states like Alabama and Mississippi have long maintained government-run Liquor stores.
Utah as well, and I have no problem with this arrangement.

Better a few well maintained and monitored liquor shops than like in NYC where it's a bunch of shady spots specializing in rotgut thunderbird, Ripple and 20/20.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
In fact, Washington State had only state-run liquor stores, until Costco decided they hungered for the revenue. It was fun to see the advocates cheering the lower prices at the supermarket — until the taxes were tacked on and they came out just the same (state liquor stores included the tax in the sticker price).

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
Utah as well, and I have no problem with this arrangement.

Better a few well maintained and monitored liquor shops than like in NYC where it's a bunch of shady spots specializing in rotgut thunderbird, Ripple and 20/20.
Mad Dog 20/20... My old Nemesis..

This sounds like a win-win for the community.

The pot shop that is.

:D

fyi....North Bonneville is on the Columbia River. It is on the north side of the famous Bonneville Dam in central/eastern Washington.
There's only one road that crosses over the river there and the cops would be looking for people driving over to buy pot. It's not ( technically ) legal in Oregon until July 5th.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
Coruscant antipodal seas
In fact, Washington State had only state-run liquor stores, until Costco decided they hungered for the revenue. It was fun to see the advocates cheering the lower prices at the supermarket — until the taxes were tacked on and they came out just the same (state liquor stores included the tax in the sticker price).
I eagerly await the Costco marijuana shops. Yeah, you might have to buy buds in half-kilo quantities, but the opportunities for massive amounts of munchie purchases all in one place would be great.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
"The Gallery" just opened a few miles down the road from me. It's an art gallery that happens to sell marijuana.

If they sell edible art they'll have hit the trifecta.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/2015/03/01/the-gallery-pierce-co-retail-marijuana/24235029/
^ from the ^ linked story ^ said:
A new pot shop in Pierce County is testing the limits of the law. The retail marijuana store is opening despite a county ban on retail marijuana sales.... Pierce County leaders said in a statement they just learned about this last week and that the county executive and prosecuting attorney will meet with the County Council to consider the county's options.
I just love the irony that the county executive so vehement in his opposition to marijuana retail (because it encourages the criminal element) is named Dan Roachclip.

haxrnick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Seattle
You aren't from here so you have no idea. It was the liberals, like my wife, who were against this. They screamed that thousands of jobs would be lost if this passed. Ironically we're business as usual. All they plastered on our tvs was that thousands would lose their jobs because of this. Seems to be working out just fine. Enough with the scare tactics, liberals.

When will the hipster/undereducated generation learn?

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
He's Mormon so he's against coffee and soft drinks, too.
maid in Ogden Utah
Yeah, the Mormons object to a lot of things. They object to Coca-Cola, but they own a big chunk of the company. They object to alcohol, but they make Polygamy Ale. They are keen to support other people's "vices", as long as they can cash in on it. Marijuana, that market has been a tough nut for them to crack. At least, AFAIK, they could well be in that as well.

haxrnick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Seattle
maid in Ogden Utah
Yeah, the Mormons object to a lot of things. They object to Coca-Cola, but they own a big chunk of the company. They object to alcohol, but they make Polygamy Ale. They are keen to support other people's "vices", as long as they can cash in on it. Marijuana, that market has been a tough nut for them to crack. At least, AFAIK, they could well be in that as well.
Source? You seem pretty hateful. Wait I think the trigger word is bigot.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
It will be interesting to see how long it will take the conspiracists who believe that the government is slandering the all-natural harmless mind-expanding cannabis to denounce the government for selling that evil killer-weed cannabis.
You mean the very same government that refuses to take marijuana off Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act (no perceived medical value, high risk for abuse), while at the same time holding a patent for medical marijuana? (US Patent 6630507) :p

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
maid in Ogden Utah

You'd never say that about Islam, would you?

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
I had a couple Mormon friends a few years back. Haven't heard from them in a while.

Anyway.

They were very nice non-bigoted people. They would help anybody regardless of religion or color etc.

The father was the regional boss or whatever you call them.

One son committed suicide a week after getting married and the other son did big corporate IT stuff.

The one bad thing about all of us.. We were cokeheads..And that wasn't good.

Say what you want about the Mormon religion or any other religion actually but it's not wise to judge a person because of the religion he belongs to or is associated with.

Glad to hear Ford is going to be able to keep up with the schedule.