Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

[center][img]http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/06/13/leoparddisc_200.jpg[/img][/center] With WWDC in full swing, few first hand reports of Apple's Mac OS X Developer Build of Leopard have been leaked. The reason for this is that beyond the keynote, the remainder of Apple's conference is under a strict non disclosure agreement. A few tidbits, however, have been posted publicly online:

First Hand with Leopard

One blogger posted these positive impressions Mail is really great, seems super fast
Spotlight much more responsive, no pauses as you type
Safari seems faster and now has that styled text editor as in FireFox (used in blogger for example)
New Finder, not as new as I had expected, seems solid and sensible.
Coverflow everywhere, yeah, whatever..
Quickview is useful I think, certainly seems fast.
Time Machine looks like it works really, really well.
The blog post, however, has since been removed.

Meanwhile, a few forum posts (unverified) report the following about the new Leopard beta:
Completely new mail client. Much faster, better calendar support, keep notes
Stacks are fantastic.
Dock works fine on the sides, 3D but the icons are sideways (proper) with shadow. Looks awesome on the side.
Benchmarks

A Geekbench submission benchmarked new Developer Preview of Leopard on a 3.0GHz Mac Pro (Score 5335), which didn't show a substantial difference compared to results from similar configurations on Mac OS X 10.4.9.

Requirements?

This post lists the requirements of Leopard that are listed in the ReadMe that comes with the developer's preview: an Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 or G5 processor
a DVD drive
built-in FireWire
at least 256 MB of RAM for a Power-PC based Mac and 512 MB for an Intel-based Mac (additional RAM is recommended for development purposes)
a built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer
at least 6 GB of disk space available, or 8 GB if you install the developer tools
As a developer build, this may or may not reflect the final requirement set for Leopard.

Build your Own

Finally, for those who want to pretend that they are running Leopard now, you can download the background image or you can download these applications to approximate the Leopard desktop.

Article Link: First Hand Reports on WWDC's Leopard 9A466

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2006
Faster spotlight and redesigned printing services are big improvements. The printing menu was terrible, it was very confusing.

What do they mean with this? Safari now has that styled text editor as in FireFox

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
• New Finder, not as new as I had expected, seems solid and sensible.

Meh, I've been hoping for a more vertically integrated Finder. Horizontal browsing isn't bad, but get tedious through all the subfolders.

aleksivic

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2006
New York, NY
DVD player has been able to play HD-DVDs for a long time. It has blu-ray and HD-DVD settings in prefs now.

I find that hard to believe =) If that's true, I'm buying an external Blu-ray burner soon.

Avicdar

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2004
Toronto
cover flow everywhere...

I really don't know how to feel about this cover flow thing.

On the one hand it seems like it could be useful. On the other hand it seems like Apple going out of its way to make the O/S look more and more like iTunes.

If thats the case, what is their motivation? Is it a subtle marketing ploy, are they being somewhat self congratulatory on iTunes success and therefore saying 'if its in iTunes, it must be good'?

Dunno. Someone else here said in another thread that cover flow in iTunes is of very limited value if your artwork isn't perfectly up to date, and in spite of Apples efforts to get the right album artwork to me, its still all a big mess.

Of course, cover flow in a documents scenario will be vastly different.

I guess I wished they had called it something else. My PDF's, videos, images etc don't have 'covers' so the name of this feature isn't even correct.

Rivix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2005
• DVD player has been able to play HD-DVDs for a long time. It has blu-ray and HD-DVD settings in prefs now.

Wait, does this mean we will be able to play HD-DVD's and BlueRay Discs?

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
This is great news, spotlight doesn't even work on my computer--takes way too long and doesn't find anything.

I can't wait for leopard.

Wait, does this mean we will be able to play HD-DVD's and BlueRay Discs?

We've been able to play HDDVD for some time. using the DVD Player.app

with leopard, you can do both

Of course, if you're not attached to DVD Player.app, you can probably just use VLC right now with a 3rd party drive.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
Macrumors said:
• Redesigned printing servics, and dialogs, no more of that HORRIBLE 60 dropdown items. Preview of your document (thumbnail) is in every print dialog, and page setup can be reached from this window. Also printing does not put up a dialog covering the screen while it spools pages. No more stopping your productivity, while you wait to spool.

THANK GOD! This could be the only feature in Leopard and I would still buy it only for it.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
I have to say, I agree, I think 10.6 will be multi touch, and right now they are making the interface already mainstream. by 10.6 we will all be accustomed to "3d-ish" interfaces.
A
I seems fairly obvious to me. They are making Leopard multi-touch friendly.

mrwilly123

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
Dock on the side

From the keynote:

sidedockleopard.jpg

Jan 30, 2006
I have to say, I agree, I think 10.6 will be multi touch, and right now they are making the interface already mainstream. by 10.6 we will all be accustomed to "3d-ish" interfaces.
A

Sometimes I think it would take more time for this to happen. But who knows, technology is changing so fast.

When you say multi-touch in 10.6, do you mean no more physical keyboards? This is something that always confuses me, in the iPhone it might be practical, but in a laptop I am not so sure.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I really don't know how to feel about this cover flow thing.

On the one hand it seems like it could be useful. On the other hand it seems like Apple going out of its way to make the O/S look more and more like iTunes.

If thats the case, what is their motivation? Is it a subtle marketing ploy, are they being somewhat self congratulatory on iTunes success and therefore saying 'if its in iTunes, it must be good'?

Dunno. Someone else here said in another thread that cover flow in iTunes is of very limited value if your artwork isn't perfectly up to date, and in spite of Apples efforts to get the right album artwork to me, its still all a big mess.

Of course, cover flow in a documents scenario will be vastly different.

I guess I wished they had called it something else. My PDF's, videos, images etc don't have 'covers' so the name of this feature isn't even correct.

Folks with lots of graphics, photos, etc. to be throwing around might find this feature very useful.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
10.6 is probably three years away from right now, so I think that it'd be feasible to have multi-touch as a way to interact with the system. I don't think we'll get rid of our keyboards with the introduction of multi-touch on desktop/laptop computers because it's probably not practical for entering lots of data.
-Chasen

maxp1

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2005
Requirements?

[url="http://theplaceforitall.com/105requirements.html"]This post
lists the requirements of Leopard that are listed in the ReadMe that comes with the developer's preview:

• an Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 or G5 processor
• a DVD drive
• built-in FireWire
• at least 256 MB of RAM for a Power-PC based Mac and 512 MB for an Intel-based Mac (additional RAM is recommended for development purposes)
• a built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer
• at least 6 GB of disk space available, or 8 GB if you install the developer tools

As a developer build, this may or may not reflect the final requirement set for Leopard.

(edit, deleted. I'm a dumbass.)

Question, built in Firewire will probably be the cut. What machine doesn't have that? I think every G4 machine does.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
I think multi-touch will be more like a compliment to the input methods we have today instead of becoming the only method for input...

jcaplan

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2003
Boise, ID
I bet the first multi-touch Mac they make will have both a multi-touch screen and a standard keyboard, all in a new combined form factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.