First Human Clone Born!


mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
2,495
0
Miami
Having a baby cloned from me or my girldfriend would be boring. I can see a baby bommer generation of cloned people in the years to come. I rather like the clasic way.
 

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
1,379
87
Well, bad enough in your opinion. But it is troubling that a religious freak supposedly abducted by aliens who then started a religious sect was the first to have cloned a human.
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
22,407
0
VA
Originally posted by mymemory
THis thread was old.
I hadn't heard about it before and if you look at the article the baby was born yesterday - so I'm guessing you're thinking about something else.

D
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
I think he's saying the story/subject was conceived 9 months ago.

But it's nice to know the alien/human hybrid is alive an well in these people's minds.
 

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
5,438
2
iowa
the sect announced this back in march, and last month they talked about how the women were almost to term, and there was a thread discussing the whole thing then, i think that's what mymemory is referring to...

:)
pnw
 

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
389
0
here, there, who knows
Bring on the clones!!!

I don't know about you but if you remember the series "Space above and beyond" they mention a whole new invetro race of humans that were created to do dangerous jobs that so called "normal' humans would not do.

If funny how we are so close to that now I'll give 5 more years.
;)
 

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
5,438
2
iowa
Originally posted by Durandal7
Interesting, I don't know if I trust the group's claims however.
They worship an ex-racecar driver who claims to have been abducted by 4-foot aliens who took him aboard a spaceship and had him mate with voluptuous robot women... and you're not sure if you believe their claims?

i think it's universally accepted that this is a farce...

:)
pnw
 

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
817
0
I bet this poor kid is gonna get sick in few years.
Foolish people, why doesn't government put to jail all those stupid religious freaks.
I have some fanatics that meditate near my house doing crazy stuff every night, makes me wanna go there and kill them all!
Now they are gathering energy from mother earth!! :eek:
 

maluscanis

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2002
70
0
I'm not sure
I know that you were joking around with your comment but remember that everyone should have the freedom to believe whatever they want and practice those beliefs in whatever manner they so desire...as long as they are not endangering those around them. I don't know if anyone is interested but I am starting a new religious group this Sunday that worships Standard Poodles (the toy poodles are not worthy of worship). Afterwards, I will be serving red Kool-Aid for refreshments.
 

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
5,438
2
iowa
My point was simply that without a lot more conclusive evidence (they've refused to furnish), no one should believe this. I could call a press conference right now to announce the cure for cancer, doesn't mean i've actually found it...

i do think they fully believe they cloned a person, but probably using some psychic technique perfected by the volcano aliens... the equipment and staff required to accomplish such a feat simply aren't available at every 7-11... granted their leader used to be a chemistry professor, but that doesn't mean she's not crazy...

:)
pnw
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
Netscape Poll:

I approve of cloning for:

Humans
8%

Animals
5%

Embyronic stem cells
38%

Nothing
49%

I'll wait to see the actual proof, it will take years to know the effect! :confused:
 

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
2,517
0
Madison, Wi
Originally posted by Megaquad
I bet this poor kid is gonna get sick in few years.
Foolish people, why doesn't government put to jail all those stupid religious freaks.
I have some fanatics that meditate near my house doing crazy stuff every night, makes me wanna go there and kill them all!
Now they are gathering energy from mother earth!! :eek:
woah, you want to kill your neighbors for meditating and jail all religous "freaks" and your calling someone else fanatic?
maybe you don't live in america.

On the subject of the story though, I agree that there should be some sort of rules set for cloning and the study of cloning, but it seems like everyone is either too closed-minded about it or too open with it, there should some legal guidelines but it appears we are not able to set them yet (I mean we still have issues with abortion for christs sake) so maybe it is good that some "other" organization has attempted it, but I do think this group is a bit shady and I'd like to see some proof.
 

techne

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2002
32
0
Caracas, Venezuela
Originally posted by maluscanis
Afterwards, I will be serving red Kool-Aid for refreshments.
Humm.. I prefer cats instead of dogs but I can join your cult for a glass of Tropical Punch red Kool-aid, hehehe.

When I saw that scientist in google news this morning I didn't think about moral or ethical issues of cloning. First thing I tought was that Nina Hagen was going to announce her new live album after so many years of musical silence.. oh well.. That lad looks nuts enough to claim she is Nina anyway.

Techné
 

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
470
0
nl
Originally posted by medea

woah, you want to kill your neighbors for meditating and jail all religous "freaks" and your calling someone else fanatic?
maybe you don't live in america.

On the subject of the story though, I agree that there should be some sort of rules set for cloning and the study of cloning, but it seems like everyone is either too closed-minded about it or too open with it, there should some legal guidelines but it appears we are not able to set them yet (I mean we still have issues with abortion for christs sake) so maybe it is good that some "other" organization has attempted it, but I do think this group is a bit shady and I'd like to see some proof.
Maybe you don't live in america? What's that suppost to mean? Sounds pretty american to me..
 

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
2,517
0
Madison, Wi
Originally posted by cc bcc


Maybe you don't live in america? What's that suppost to mean? Sounds pretty american to me..
Ever hear of religous freedom *****? Don't people go to jail (assuming nothing goes wrong in the trial) for murdering innocents here in America ?
 

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
470
0
nl
Originally posted by medea

Ever hear of religous freedom *****? Don't people go to jail (assuming nothing goes wrong in the trial) for murdering innocents here in America ?
I wasn't saying that that's the way things are done in the usa, I was refering to the blunt way that he reacted.
And don't start proving me right.

Relax.
 

Centris Fan

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2002
26
0
Upstate NY
Originally posted by cc bcc


I wasn't saying that that's the way things are done in the usa, I was refering to the blunt way that he reacted.
And don't start proving me right.

Relax.
Seriously man, don't try to act all superior on this. You were baiting him to begin with; if someone started trashing the Netherlands in a similar manner, you might act similarly.
 

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
470
0
nl
There would be enough reason to complain, some things are seriously wrong, both here and in the usa.
 

Thoth

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2002
2
0
Kearney, MO
If it's true..

If indeed this is true i feel sorry for the child.

Nuclear transplants such as this destroy parts of the nucleolus, which destroy telomeres on the chromosomes. Which means that the body will develop major defects and problems.

We've seen this with Dolly, and the countless mice and cats.

Why do we even need clones, procreation is <easier, cheaper, quicker, more fun> the old fashioned way.