First iMac has arrived, like a fish out of water!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Steveatesh, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Steveatesh macrumors regular

Steveatesh

My very first Apple computer arrived yesterday, a riMac and I have to say first impressions are very very positive! No lag, no jerks, everything runs fast and smooth up to now!
    So, after years running a PC with its tree and branch style approach of folders and drives etc, there is abit of a learning curve to go through.

Couple questions to start off, although no doubt more will follow:
    Firstly, is there any way i can get my Buffalo Duo NAS to be recognised by the iMac without having to type in cifs followed by its IP address on my network?
    I'd rather it was just there for me to use. I can't imagine Apple require a manual mount each time I switch the mac on, so how do I make it the same as Plug n play on the PC where it just appears in Network?

Also, I had read it was easy to migrate frpm PC to Mac by using Migration Assistant. However, it simply does not see my PC at all, even though its on the same network. I go through the MA process and it just stops at finding PC, never finding it. What am I missing?

Thanks, Steve

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have the same NAS. If you are in FINDER (look in the upper left of the menu bar and you'll know if you're there), you can hold the APPLE (command) key and "K" which will bring up a box that says: connect to server.

I add a server, which for me is the NAS. It starts with smb://...and move on from there. This document helps, in spite of it being for Mavericks, nothing has really changed:
    http://osxdaily.com/2013/10/30/connect-smb-nas-network-shares-os-x-mavericks/

I believe you do have to connect to it each time but double check that article. I usually just have the habit of waking my machines, hitting command+K and all is well. My NAS also sleeps so it helps to wake it up when needed.

As far as migration goes, does this help at all?
    http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4796

3. Zorba macrumors regular

Zorba

Normally your NAS should appear in your Finder window under 'Shared' or something like that, as should you windows PC.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is true. Mine is in my finder window under "shared". As is my MacPro (if I am on my MacMini) and vice versa.

5. Steveatesh thread starter macrumors regular

Steveatesh

Does it appear there without having to type a smb or cifs command line?

if so, can you say what you did to make it permanently appear there please?
    Mine disappears when I switch the Mac off or it sleeps.

6. jbuk1 macrumors member

I don't know your specific NAS but I imagine there will be an option to enable bonjour, multicast PNP, UPNP. This will broadcast your NAS to the local network.

If you go in to the preferences menu in finder and go to 'sidebar' you can enable 'bonjour' computers if not already ticked.

You'll now see you NAS on the sidebar.

7. iDento macrumors regular

iDento

Shared

Check Finder's sidebar (the left side of the Finder window), under Shared, you should see your NAS there and welcome to the world of Mac :apple:

8. tillsbury macrumors 65816

If you go into System Preferences / Users / Login items you can drag the NAS drive into this, and it'll log in every time you boot.

9. Steveatesh thread starter macrumors regular

Steveatesh

Thanks very much everybody, I'll give these suggestions a go tomorrow.

Had a full day just getting to know the Mac, I've got a lot of PC habits to relearn the Mac way.

Try and get Bootcamp going at the weekend, with Paralells too. That will keep me busy no doubt!