First Impressions-First iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raf66, Sep 21, 2012.

1. raf66 macrumors regular

I know everyone is pretty much doing it, but I thought I'd give my first impressions of the iPhone 5.

First, I'm a new iPhone convert, having spent all of my smartphone life with a BB and a Droid X for the last 3-4 years. Therefore, except for playing around a wee bit with the iPhone 4 that my kids each have, this is my first opportunity to really experience the iOS and the iPhone hardware for any extended period of time. Me likey and here's why...

Except for the VZW activation issues I'm currently experiencing (can't activate on a different phone # for 24 hours per Apple's directive to VZW), the rest of the phone's setup was much easier than I experienced with my DX. Specifically, several business and personal email accounts were a snap to set up and fetched my unread emails immediately. The DX required me to input pop and smtp protocols and other such technical nonsense for each account, and generally setting one account took more time than it took to set up all of my email accounts on my iPhone.

Second, this phone's innards are FAST. Everything that you ask of the iPhone seems to be completed nearly instantaneously. There was no lag, no hiccup, no time delay in whatever task I set out to do. My DX, God love her, is nearly 30 mos. old and there was nothing she could do WITHOUT significant lag.

Third, this phone is REALLY put together. It's light and thin, but solid as a rock. And the screen is simply stunning. I definitely will not miss the plastic-y feel of my DX, nor will I miss the somewhat muted graphic/color presentation that its screen had. I played around with the Galaxy S3 before deciding on the iPhone, and seriously considered it a frontrunner at one time. But it, too, had the poorly built plastic feel and somewhat unnatural screen presentation that my DX had. While I like a larger screen (hence my purchase of the DX-4.3"), the S3 did not offer that much more of a difference in screen real estate that would make up for the cheap and unrefined look and feel of its hardware. And besides, after playing with the iPhone 5's 4" screen for the last several hours, it feels just fine and is certainly far better than the iPhone 4 I spent a little time on when my kids allowed dear old dad to do so.

The audio quality is clearly a step above what I've been experiencing with the DX. The new headphones are incredible, though I'm not certain they'll stay secure in my ears over a long period of time. However, that's probably more of an ear-shape concern than anything else. They're comfortable and the music they impart sounds like a CD quality repro rather than the cassette tape quality I've grown accustomed to (I would've probably gone to an 8-track analogy but I'm not sure how many of your are old enough to remember those).

I've taken a couple of experimental pics with the new camera, and it's far and away a better photography tool than my DX. Frankly it appears that the phone will take better pics than my wife's expensive digital camera. And while my DX had the panorama feature on its camera, it never looked quite . . . natural, though that phone took pretty good photos too. Just not on the same level of quality as the iPhone. Again, I haven't played with it much yet, but I'm impressed with what I've seen so far. Plus, it takes photos FAR faster than my DX, which sometimes required the object of my intended pics to age significantly while waiting to take a photo or follow-up photos.

Obviously I can't make a comparison or give my impressions about call quality since I'm experiencing activation issues that are supposed to be resolved first thing tomorrow am. My DX was ok, and my guess is that in the last 2 1/2 years call quality has gotten even better with mobile phones. Therefore, I expect that the iPhone will prove to be, at the very least, good and maybe great.

I was very excited to try out Siri because my DX had a VERY basic voice control that in practice did very little. In fact, I gave up trying to use it many moons ago. I must say that Siri was able to do several tasks that my Droid could never have done, and it was very easy to get her to comply. I was surprised, though, that she didn't sound much like the commercials or YouTube vid clips I'd seen of her in action. She sounded a little muffled and tinny, like low-fi dictation software on a windows 98 machine. In addition, she crashed a couple of times and the light around the microphone just flashed intermittently, requiring me to hit the home button to close her out. I know she's not perfect, but I understand that she's the best version of this type of software on any phone and she hasn't wowed me yet. Maybe it's just not THERE yet. I will, however, keep using it to see if maybe I was just expecting too much or if maybe I just need a little practice using this feature properly.

I'm also having a hard time getting used to the keyboard. It seems like the letters/numbers are too close together for my man-hands and I found myself hitting the wrong keys on occasion. In addition, there were several instances when I had to touch the screen repeatedly to get it to respond. I must admit that I'm feeling some frustration with that, but again I might still be early in my learning curve with this keyboard and I might just need some more time in the saddle. And by the way, why does the auto word/auto correct thing only work with some words. I found myself wanting it to engage with everything I was typing, which might be unrealistic but would be more helpful than doing it every 4th or 5th word.

To wrap up my amateurish review, I must say that overall I am very impressed with this little piece of mobile computing goodness. It's lightning fast, stunningly beautiful and is clearly built to the highest standards. Very similar to my iMac and is frankly what I've come to expect from Apple products. In addition, the pictures it takes are beautiful, and the audio reproduction is superb. There are a couple of things that didn't wow me, such as the keyboard and the quality of Siri. I'm guessing I'll get the hang of both of these as I spend more time with the phone.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Basically if the phone was a person...I would marry it.

3. Blinny83 macrumors member

4. raf66 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. The only bad thing about the new phone is that until I get a case on this puppy I am going to be worried about dropping it. I dropped my DX several times (mostly while it was in its case) and it never showed ANY wear. The iPhone seems more like a high end high def tv. If you drop it you've likely broken it.

5. Blinny83 macrumors member

According to a new drop test video vs the galaxy s3, it's actually quite durable. Just dings on the frame from a head high drop. That being said, I agree, I'll definitely have at least a bumper. Especially when I've got a few beers under my belt!