Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

First 'Independent' Artists Arrive

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Yesterday's PaidContent.org notes also mentioned an event of significance:

First independent artists is now available on iTunes: starting today, Moby is on iTunes...

In this context, "Independent" artists and labels simply refer to those who are not part of the five major record labels. Apple recently opened their iTunes Music Service to labels and artists. Jody Whitesides notes being "very first person to sign up for CDbaby's Digital Distribution" and will also be available through iTunes as well as a number of other online music servicecs.

jamall

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2003
Canberra, Australia
Jody Whitesides marketing department

This Jody Whitesides seems to be gaining a lot of publicity all of a sudden. He seems to have used this whole Buymusic.com phenomenon to his own advantage in a very calculated and effective way. I've never heard his music before, but I'm curious, and heck, what's a buck? Quick, someone give him a job on the board at Apple...

Comment

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
Requests?

Any rumors if ITMS will have an area to request certain atrisit that they do not carry? A suggestion box of sorts? I would think that Apple would want feedback from it's customers about what content they would like to buy.

Glad to see the Indies com on board!

Comment

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
Re: Jody Whitesides marketing department

Originally posted by jamall
This Jody Whitesides seems to be gaining a lot of publicity all of a sudden. He seems to have used this whole Buymusic.com phenomenon to his own advantage in a very calculated and effective way. I've never heard his music before, but I'm curious, and heck, what's a buck? Quick, someone give him a job on the board at Apple...

Good point! I've never heard of him either!

Comment

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
This is indeed very good news. Not to mention that they've added a very large number of artists and albums this week alone, which will only help. Adding the indies will only bolster the bottom line and make the iTMS that much more attractive to music buyers.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Requests?

Originally posted by Steamboatwillie
Any rumors if ITMS will have an area to request certain atrisit that they do not carry? A suggestion box of sorts? I would think that Apple would want feedback from it's customers about what content they would like to buy.

This exists. and has existed since it was launched.

Click on Requests and Feedback in the iTunes Music Store.

arn

Comment

Awimoway

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
California
Re: Requests?

Third item down, left column of the main iTMS page. Been there since day one.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Re: Jody Whitesides marketing department

Good point! I've never heard of him either!

That's the beauty of it. I've never heard of him either. A real "independent" artist.

Heh... and that's not to imply that indie = unknown. I'm just saying that there are a lot of smaller bands out there that people want. Hopefully they'll come too.

Moby's fine and all... but I didn't know he wasn't signed to a major label.

arn

Comment

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
Re: Re: Requests?

Originally posted by arn
This exists. and has existed since it was launched.

Click on Requests and Feedback in the iTunes Music Store.

arn

>blush< My bad, thanks for pointing it out!

My ITMS usuage, I guess, is a bit different than most? I never really paid much attention to the "home"page I just dive in and start looking for artists. Maybe I should take advantage of features I didn't know existed!

Comment

Java

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Marin County (where else?)
Re: Re: Re: Jody Whitesides marketing department

Originally posted by arn
That's the beauty of it. I've never heard of him either. A real "independent" artist.

Moby's fine and all... but I didn't know he wasn't signed to a major label.

arn

Don't forget, Moby is a Mac user. Best of both worlds, an indie and a Mac addict.

iTunes is awesome. I'm off to go part with a few dollars.

Comment

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by Vlade
Cool, apple needs to take away the "Biggest" title from buymusic

Perhaps, but if anything comes of this email claiming they illegally put-up tracks, then maybe they won't be the biggest for long.

Maybe (I haven't, and don't intend to, check), it would mean all of their 79c songs would dissapear also, or at least the majority. It's hard enough finding them at the moment.

edit: I didn't know Moby was a Mac user.

AppleMatt

Comment

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
not to descredit Moby, but V2 is about as mainstream as indy gets. but what's good is that we'll see The White Stripes soon enough.

when we start seeing music from pedro the lion, the nields, ani difranco, greg brown, the distillers, gemma hayes, etc., i'll take notice.

Comment

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
Originally posted by Vlade
Cool, apple needs to take away the "Biggest" title from buymusic

There is an article (http://www.macnn.com/news/20400) on the mac news forums that suggests buymusic's "big" library might not be legally obtained. Even if it is somehow legal, the story also says it means not many of the songs are from the big five labels. It also eludes to the cheaper prices being due to this deal (ill gotten songs) and more expensive songs being from the big five. If that is true, I think it shows the pull Apple has with the recording industry.

I haven't searched macrumors to see if someone else has started a thread.

Comment

Rick65000

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2003
Imports????

O.k. fine. I can get Moby, but how much longer do I have to wait to get imports?

Pizzicato 5

Judy and Mary

The Yellow Monkey
http://www.theyellowmonkey.com/

Bz

Dauerfisch: Entspannung is Beautiful E.P., You can ride my bike.:D

Attachments

• picture 1.pdf
    30.1 KB · Views: 84
Comment

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
Re: Jody Whitesides marketing department

Originally posted by jamall

Gosh, what a clever idea. Have a website that's a blatant ripoff steal your tunes, distribute them online, never see one nickel from it, and then use it to sell your own records on your own site.

Yep, that's what he did alright. He knew, KNEW I say, that buymusic was going to launch with unauthorized copies of his songs! And then coldly calculated that the best way to profit from it was to send an email to an obscure Mac news site or two. Yep, no better way to make it to the top of the Billboard charts than that. That's how N'Sync did it, right?

:rolleyes:

Sigh.

Comment

mr moto

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2003
ahh finally

finally I can overwrite my pirated moby collection with good karma-clean MusicStore files!

at 1$ a song thats only 84 bucks to legalize one artist! isn't the world great?

paying up, and loving it, forever apple!

Comment

electric

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
San Francisco, CA

And dont forget the search. They must have all search request's in a data base. I've searched for the shins and elbow to name a couple.

Comment

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Re: Imports????

Originally posted by Rick65000
O.k. fine. I can get Moby, but how much longer do I have to wait to get imports?

Pizzicato 5

Judy and Mary

The Yellow Monkey
http://www.theyellowmonkey.com/

Bz

Dauerfisch: Entspannung is Beautiful E.P., You can ride my bike.:D

You'll get the imports when iTMS goes international. They'll neeeeed to get some international musicians in there if they do so. They can't sell American artists exclusively. ;) They wouldn't do that.......well, unless Steve-o has been eating paint chips again.

:(

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.