First iPhone, should I buy now to take advantage of unlimited data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wickywahwah, Jun 2, 2010.

1. wickywahwah macrumors regular

I have been an AT&T customer for years and was planning on buying the new iPhone as my first. However, I don't like the new data structure, especially if my FAN discount can't be applied to the $25/2GB plan. Right now I can upgrade to a 3GS and get the unlimited data plan for $22.50/month with the FAN discount. If the FAN discount won't be applied to the new data plans, I'd be paying $25 for 2GB instead of $22.50 for unlimited (simple math).

I was thinking of getting the 3GS, leaving it unopened, and returning it within the 30-day window. A brief glance at the Premier store return policy seems to allow for this. Do you think that would be possible and that if I did it I would still be able to get the new iPhone at the subsidized price?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Very likely, however, take into account the hit you will take by restocking fee.

3. UnknownMacNoob macrumors member

How much do you think that will be?

4. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

About $30.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Do not know.

6. wickywahwah thread starter macrumors regular

Here's what I found. To me the re-stocking fees would be worth it to have an unlimited data plan @ $22.50. It's cheaper than the 2GB plan and I won't have to concern myself with overages. I don't really care about tethering.

Refunds for like-new equipment returned within 30 days will be through the original payment method and may take up to two months.

A $35 restocking fee applies to all devices purchased at an AT&T-owned retail store, except where prohibited.
    A $35 restocking fee applies to all netbook purchases, except where prohibited.
    A 10% restocking fee applies to all iPhone purchases, except where prohibited. The 10% restocking fee does not apply if the device was purchased without AT&T service (device only sale) and returned unopened.

7. dacapo macrumors 6502

Quoting OP:

I'm curious about this too. Anyone?

8. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

You won't need that much data ... forget the couple of bucks per month and avoid the return fees/hassles and just wait until June 7th for the new iPhone with 2Gb per month ... not that I'm doubting you, but where did you read that FAM discount doesn't apply to the new data plans?

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not everyone has the same data usages per month. For me, the new data plans suck hard and I would hate for them to be applied to me (luckily they aren't).

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If you buy the iPhone through the Apple Store, there is no restocking fee. You have 30 days to return it without the 10%.

I didn't think there was a restocking fee through AT&T either.. Something doesn't seem right.

But I know for a fact there isn't one at Apple.

11. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I believe each FAM discount has specific rules. My FAM discount only applies to charges at $30 or more. So I get it on my voice and data, but not on the$9.99 extra line charge. By moving to a $25 2GB data plan I would only save $0.50 compared to an unlimited plan with a 15% discount.

12. wickywahwah thread starter macrumors regular

i may not need that much data, that's true, but i don't know yet. i know that i will be a "heavy user", but whether that will put me over 2GB/month is yet to be seen. i know the price difference is negligible, but i think i would prefer unlimited and forget worrying about overages.

regarding the FAN, i haven't found the details of my company's agreement anywhere, but i'm assuming it only applies to services over $30 like many others. for instance, i can apply the discount to the $30 data plan, but not to any of the texting plans ($5-$20) or additional lines ($9.99). i am making an assumption that the FAN won't apply to the new data plans, but unless i can get an answer out of at&t, by the time i find out it will be too late to get an unlimited plan at any price.

13. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I'm sure for customers that push hard enough, AT&T will have to honor the unlimited/$30 plan (at least a consumer like me would ;))

That said, given that 98% of iPhone users don't go above 2Gb of data per month, the near entirety of the remaining 2% of users would be those that jailbreak or tether illegally ... thus no one really needs over 2Gb of data and is saving $5 a month. But hey, those are just the facts.

14. wickywahwah thread starter macrumors regular

i may not need 2GB, but i can have no cap for $22.50 right now vs. $25 with a 2GB cap. not too hard to see the value in that. if i wanted a 3GS, it would be a no-brainer, but i'd like to have the new model. just trying to find a way to have my cake and eat it too, i don't think that's too much to ask. ;)

15. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I was wondering much the same thing - my Moto Droid is on its way back to El Paso via FedEx so I'm just waiting to jump onto the iPhone band wagon.

I think I'm just going to wait though. Effectively the 3Gs is now a year old, which will make it 3 years old by the time I can replace it w/ a full discount. 3 years old is ancient in smart phone tech.

It'll be all I can do to not want whatever comes out next year as it is, if I have a old phone I feel like I'm tossing money away.

16. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

theres a restocking fee even if you dont open it??

upgrade before the 7th, dont open it, exchange when the new phone comes out, doubt they will hit you with a re stocking fee

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

All of this planning is all well and good, provided apple actually sells the phone on June 7. What happens if they only announce the phone that day and then specify a late June/July date.

Why are people getting their panties in a bind about unlimited bandwidth. 2GB is a lot of bandwidth. I wonder how many people actually use > 2gb today (non-tethering).