First it was Big Pharma, now we have Big Herba

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Feb 18, 2015.

1. aaronvan, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

And no, I'm not talking about corporate cannabis (although that is certainly coming.)

For decades my mom spent thousands and thousands of dollars on vitamins, supplements, herbal remedies, and other unregulated crap. However, it didn't prevent her from developing Parkinson's. I'm happy to see these scam artists are getting some real scrutiny these days.

http://www.salon.com/2015/02/16/your_vitamins_are_dangerous_how_big_herba_is_lying_to_you_partner/

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/dangerous-supplements/index.htm

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm not a fan of herbalists, vitamin-peddlers, homeopathic medicine and other alternative, new-age cures. Whether the medicine or therapy comes from pharma, herba, or wherever it should be proven through standardized, scientific testing. End of story.

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

This crap needs big-time regulation.

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Didn't I start a thread about snake oil and everyone told me I was crazy?

5. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Maybe it was unrelated?

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Judge for yourself. I was making the point that all pills should be tested for safety and effectiveness before being allowed to be sold.

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

I always wondered about those GNC places and the massive tubs of pills they sold. Something always struck me as not right about them. And the people who duped themselves into thinking they were buying helpful products is the worst part of it.

8. numlock, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015

numlock macrumors 68000

if i recall the responses then were the typical nanny state and free will yada yada yada

9. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Or people could search up the product online to see if it has actually worked with other people before buying.

There are documentaries on YouTube showing how various healers that have actually cured people of disease via natural means have been forced to stop practising because the remedies they are using aren't approved by the FDA or something like that. The reason they never got approved was because the pharmaceutical companies don't want competition, so their lobbyists ensure that many forms of competition are illegal. The big time regulations that you are calling for will be written by the corporations that will benefit from them, as are most regulations. They are there to benefit corporations, not you.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Because massive supplement companies who spend millions on lobbying have NO way of buying testimony or flooding websites with reviews.

:rolleyes:

11. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

This is why I favor privately owned practices. I am good friends with my doctor and I always ask her of benefits/side effects of any drugs/pills/vitamins before I partake.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Really, we should have a general federal law prohibiting the dissemination of lies and BS. That would take down the Murdock/Ailes empire in days and cripple "Madison Avenue".

13. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Yes, I suppose they could. But how would regulating help if the companies have so much power and influence?

Also, there are very rich companies in other sectors too, such as the tech sector. Somehow we don't have too many problems in finding legitimate reviews on phones and computers... No-one says that people should need a government license to sell software to protect the public from malware or being ripped off. How is medicine different?

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Because if your software doesn't work as advertised, you don't risk getting sick or dying.

15. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Never gonna happen. The Gub'ment ain't gonna cut off its life blood.:p

16. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

With these vitamins and herbal supplements the issue doesn't seem to be that people are getting sick or dying from taking them. All that is happening is that the products don't work, so the buyer wasted their money as the product didn't actually lower the chance of getting whatever the seller said it did. If the products did not exist then people merely would not have purchased them -- so there's still the same chance of contracting an illness as if they took them.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This is why regulation is necessary. These companies are preying on people desperate enough for cures to waste they money on nothing at all. It's taking advantage of people at their weakest and most vulnerable points.

I'm all for herbs, vitamins, ear candling or colonics so long as they are effective for the ailments they are claiming to cure. Proper studies to prove their effectiveness (as well as pharmacological remedies) and should be required for anything claiming to be medicinal.

18. pdjudd macrumors 601

Interesting thing about “alternative medicine”. If it actually worked and was actually effective at doing what they claim (or at best strongly imply) it would be called “medicine” because it could be scientifically proven to be effective. Real honest medical professionals tend not to waste time on things that don’t work.

That of course often times requires us to partake in medicine that comes from large pharmaceuticals. Unfortunately, they are big and they tend to make lots of money (as what happens to majorly successful companies) - of course they take big risks too since they probably have far more drugs that do not pan out than ones that do (medicine is really hard). The problem? People tend to equate large and profitable with evil and they look for something that advertises itself as or looks to be the underdog. Sadly, they tend to side with groups that are just as interested in making money, can be big in size, and be even more evil when somebody criticizes them.

Two things that can be said about big pharma. The doctors who they employ genuinely want to help people, and they also tend to be ethically burdened by science.

19. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Caveat emptor. If you don't know what the hell you are buying, why are you buying it.

I don't see a problem here, and I sure as hell dont see a reason for more nanny state oversight to compensate for either stupidity or indolence resulting in failure of due diligence.

20. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Since you mention it, how much snake oil can you get from a snake anyway?

21. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Ok. Who decides though what gets approved and what doesn't? Because there is of course the potential for large companies to lock out everyone else via licensing. They made it so you need a licence to give out medical advise, then we got fed BS for decades about high cholesterol and other such things, which is only starting to be repealed now because it is incorrect.

22. FieldingMellish Suspended

I think you can find FDA-approved drugs that had devastating consequences, all the more insidious because of it's having had the goverrnment's stamp of approval.

23. numlock, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015

numlock macrumors 68000

quite a lot of the software i come across does give you a refund if it dosent meet your expectations and its a hell of a lot easier for the average person to find out if the photo editing software they downloaded does what it is advertised to do than a pill which may not even contain the advertised ingredients.

wait what exactly do you consider to be due diligence?

figuring out if reviews on sites like amazon are real or fabricated? figuring out if news articles and coverage is paid for or not? actually testing it to see if it contains the ingredients it says it does.

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

If one doesn't like the sources, it makes a person a bigger moron for buying something.

I buy plenty of supplements as a fitness nut and gym rat, and most have performed as advertised, but none were purchased without a lot of research.

25. numlock macrumors 68000

by sources i assume you mean ingredients but its not that long ago that there was a story about supplements not containing about they promised. then its certainly not a question of liking or not liking the sources

great that the ones you bought worked for you. but i asked what do you call due diligence and a lot of research? i guess a person can always be accused of not doing enough.