First Ladies (and Gents...)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by abijnk, Mar 5, 2008.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

CNN blog article about Cindy McCain. I think the most interesting parts are the comments at the end.

I think the first ladies are in a whole new ball game now that Hillary Clinton is running for president. While it has seemingly been taboo to really go at them, if they are going to be able to run for president (or any other elected office) and cite their time as first lady as experience, I think its time we start taking a harder look at them.

2. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

Cindy McCain looks fake to me-- but that's just my opinion:D

3. stevegmu macrumors regular

Not quite sure what Cindy McCain has to do with H. Clinton. She doesn't have any political aspirations.
    I guess that won't stop some from attacking her, though.

4. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

5. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

I did not attack her, nor have I claimed she has political aspirations, but I do think the idea that first ladies can (are) use experience they gain by chance to acheive political aspirations (should they exist) is a legitimate topic worthy of discussion.

6. stevegmu macrumors regular

I didn't say you attacked her. I said some will. Seems to be the purpose of this thread, though, since she is not running, nor has stated any interest in running for elected office.

7. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Hm, seems my point has been missed. At the risk of sounding redundant, I think this article (and, as I said, the comment that follow it on CNNs website) raise an issue that is worthy of discussion. That being said, I was hoping not to be percieved as encouraging smears or attacks, but rather as desiring to have a discussion with the PRSI readers on what they think of such issues and the fact that anyone, male or female, past, present or future can now use time they spent as the spouse of a powerful political figure as legitimate political experience. I think the implications are rather huge. I do not think that Hillary is relying on time spent as first lady as her only means of claiming experience, but she has in fact set a precedent. Any takers?

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm not really sure what your point is.

Are you saying that the First Lady is now the new "black" when the President's term is up?

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He does that. He'll take any opportunity to play victim, that we're all evil liberal partisans who attack the GOP for no legitimate reason. Even if it's nothing like that. So if we're going to be accused of that anyway, I guess I'll take this opportunity to make a joke that based on how things went with his previous wife, who knows if Cindy will even be first lady if McCain is elected. :p

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I do understand what you're getting at, but I disagree with part of what I think you're saying. ;)

When someone becomes a candidate for political office, then yes, I think that most anything in their past that constitutes part of their "experience" (whether they claim it as such or not) is fair game. Senator Clinton's thrown her hat in the ring, and she has furthermore cited her time as First Lady as part of her political experience, so I think it's fair for her opponents to "take a hard a look" at that experience.

Now, in contrast, Cindy McCain is not running for public office. Neither is Michelle Obama, for that matter. I don't buy the premise (which you seem to be hinting at) that because they might one day run for office and cite their time as First Lady as experience, we ought to start trashing them right now. We should leave the "first families" alone and focus on the candidates themselves.

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I do think that the First Ladies (and potential first ladies) will be in the spotlight a bit more than they were in the past. Hilary only being one part of the equation of why. With a good chunk of the world really drawn into reality TV and gossip more than ever before, I think the voyeurs in all of us tend to want to know more. Everyone loves a little bit of dirt.

12. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

I agree! (But does that make me a dirty fanboy?)