First lawsuit filed in aftermath of the Colorado shooting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ugahairydawgs, Jul 24, 2012.

1. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well that isn't anything surprising. We have a lawsuit culture. As if the movie theater can somehow be responsible for something of this level of magnitude. :roll eyes:

Life happens. It's tragic, but that's just simply the case here. I hope this gets thrown out.

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I hate this. I think it seriously takes away from the true tragedy of the situation - and it dishonors everyone that was hurt in the shooting.

Warner Brothers is a part of the lawsuit because Batman is too violent? The movie he chose to pay $10 for and see in the middle of the night? Seriously? What a joke.

4. eric/ Guest

eric/

The sad part?

He'll probably get some sort of compensation.

Because as much as this makes sense to us that he shouldn't get anything (maybe they should just throw him in jail for a frivolous lawsuit, that would sure as hell keep people from suing for stupid crap) he'll likely get something through some convoluted reasoning.

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Americans have to decide.

Do you want to live like the Middle East where guards are everywhere with guns or do you want to live in a society where you are free from the military complex?

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. This is a money grab, pure and simple. I hope the judge tosses it.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yep I agree 100% money grab and yes I hope the judge tosses it.

Now he could easy have PTSD but really some of the companies named in the law suit are insane. Also I am willing to bet that the doctors insurance company will settle out of court when really I think they should fight it then demand to be reembursed for the payment.

I am surpised he did not name the shooters parents in the law suit.

8. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

This really got me more than anything:

"The attorney says theater goers were helpless because they thought the shooter was part of the movie"

This doesn't even make sense, was his client like "OMG my best friend is shot in the chest and dying right next to me...4 words...BEST SPECIAL EFFECTS EVER!"

"Somebody has to be responsible for the rampant violence that is shown today."

Well they obviously liked the depiction of rampant violence or else the wouldn't be seeing the movie at a midnight screening. So he thinks it's good to show violence but when something happens says they should have never shown violence:confused:

The only think I can maybe see is the fact that the theater should have had alarmed emergency exits.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I thought they have to be by code.

10. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

If you criminalise guns then only the criminals will have guns.

No disrespect the victims of this tragedy, but perhaps if more members of that audience were exercising their 2nd amendment rights, this incident wouldn't have been as bad as it was.

11. leekohler, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The theater does not permit guns inside. This has been stated many times in another thread. ;)

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Certainly didn't take long, did it?

Not really familiar with Colorado law, but some number of years ago here, someone sued Krystal (you might call it White Castle) after getting yanked out of his car and beaten up rather badly while in the drive-through line. He got a seven figure payday from the chain.

13. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

That's what I'm a believer in. Disarming people just makes them easier marks. Like Alex Teves father said after looking at Holmes "My son would have wiped the floor with this coward"

14. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

That's why I don't go to the movies. America has been ruined by anti-rights liberals.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

A. Dark Theatre
    B. Teargas used
    C. People thought the shooter was part of a promo
    D. Shooter armored from head to toe

Had there been people inside "exercising their 2nd amendment rights" there would have been more bloodshed since the theatre was in a state of pandemonium when it happened.

There was no way for the best marksman with any kind of weapon to kill the guy. With all the panic the guy exercising his rights might have killed innocent people.

16. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There was no teargas, it was plain smoke, and armor may stop a bullet from penetrating skin, but you don't just shrug it off - it still hurts like all hell and leaves quite a large bruise. Two or three hits and he will have trouble breathing, and therefore stop shooting.

Do you really think someone carrying a concealed weapon would have just started shooting people, hoping they hit the right guy? Come on, Peace.

So don't say that there is no way for someone to have stopped him like it is some demonstrable fact - it isn't.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Nor is what you say a "demonstrable fact"

We can theorize all day but the only "fact" is this guy shot 71 people and killed 12.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Knowing what I know about Krystals, I bet the guy was in a panic looking for antacids.

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Actually, looking at the witness reports, the description of the "teargas" does not actually fit the symptoms of tear gas. People reported smelling smoke "like a firework," not the acrid smell of tear gas. There were no reports of burning eyes and skin, runny noses, choking, etc.

As for the body armor, watch this, if you can (someone does get shot around the 5 min mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjdd-1w9WVM

I didn't claim anything else as fact.

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

"Victims were being treated for chemical exposure apparently related to canisters thrown by the gunman."

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31289969/detail.html

Now back to on topic stuff.
    /out

21. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

So, they were treated as an immediate response to first reports, sounds like standard practice to me, but here:

http://gma.yahoo.com/video/news-267...-inside-aurora-colorado-theater-30041505.html

As someone who has first hand experience with tear gas on a regular basis, it could not have been tear gas.

//

Yes, the lawsuit is ridiculous, but expect many, many more.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm sure you're referring to only highly centralized high population centers in the middle east, correct? :confused:

Unless you're talking about our guards....

23. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Sorry ...no offense meant. I had to choose an area that would resonate. Should have perhaps chosen better. Mea culpa.

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah..somebody has to be responsible.....the ticket buyer! You can't show up to a violent movie and then complain that it is violent. Did you wander into the theatre by accident, make a wrong turn, think you were seeing the new "Ice Age" movie? What? This guy has absolutely NO case on that basis.

The door thing...maybe.

Uh huh. Care to list all the reasons your rights have been infringed on by liberals? Can't wait to see the list.

25. samiwas macrumors 65816

Bwaahaha. So "America is ruined" because you can't carry your gun everywhere? Seriously?

THis sounds like the letter my wife received recently (she does volunteer email response for a large local attraction). The email basically said "I am not able to bring my family to your attraction because you do not allow guns. It is just too unsafe for me to bring my family." This is for a large kids-based attraction. Some people are seriously under the belief that if they don't have their gun on them at all times, that they are unsafe. Whatever.

And I would argue that the conservatives have ruined a lot more peoples' lives with their anti-rights campaigns.