First post-Jobs iPhone is the most leaked. Because....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Aug 31, 2012.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Because people were afraid of Steve Jobs. They are not afraid of Tim Cook. Steve Jobs never had to come out and say "we're going on triple lock down for security" like Tim Cook has said (and where did that get him?), because people feared the rath of Steve inherently.

Steve also knew how to stir up a commotion for a launch like no other pitchman. Notice there were no lines for the iPad 3. That's because Tim Cook is not a salesman, he's a supply chain guy. He figured blanketing the earth with iPads on launch day was the way to go. For bottom line sales, it may have been. But Steve always launched in the US first and made the rest of the world drool for a while, creating hype, buzz, and long news-ready lines at the stores.

Over time, Tim Cook's lack of security, and lack of buzz will eat away at Apple's bottom line. Every year, Apple faces more and more competition, as other products from other companies that do essentially the same thing become commonplace. Eventually Apple could become just another Samsung or Sony, for whose products there is nearly zero launch hype and zero lines.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

You think Jobs had nothing to do with the next iPhone?

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

What does that have to do with anything I said? Of course he had something to do with the physical phone. I'm talking about the way the company is now run.

4. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

It's not the most leaked iPhones mostly all the iPhones were leaked.

5. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Someone has forgotten the iPhone 4.

I mean, about the next-gen iPhone, all I know is that it will get a 4-inch display and a new design. The chip hasn't been leaked (yeah, there's this A6-chip leak, but it's edited with Photoshop because the image needed to be "enhanced"). The radios haven't leaked.

We knew everything about the iPhone 4. We immediately knew that the display was of much higher quality (because it showed the "Connect to iTunes logo"), it showed the front facing camera, it showed the LED flash and much bigger rear facing camera, it showed the drastically new design, it showed the A4 chip (because we opened it), etc., etc.

iPhone 4 was the most-leaked iPhone.

6. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Oh I don't know, maybe the title?

Apple has become the most talked about company and everyone wants to know what the next product will look like and when it's going to come out. There will never be complete secrecy about a new product with so many suppliers and some many manufacturers who are probably getting paid handsomely to leak these images.

7. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I hate to break the news to you, but Tim Cook was more in charge of Apple in the past three years than Steve Jobs was (because Jobs was very often on a leave).

Also, it's getting much harder for Apple to keep things secret. When Jobs was in charge, the company was much smaller. In the past 12 months, Apple has grown a lot.

8. bandofbrothers, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Well i'm not a businessperson within a multi billion dollar company so feel I don't have the credentials to make such a comment.

Which billion dollar company do you run to have such an insight.

9. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Other than the phone left in the bar, which was likely not an intentional leak, I don't recall seeing dozens of crystal clear photos of nearly every piece of the phone, and cases, and completely assembled phones.

10. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

The 3G, 3GS,iPhone 4,and iPhone 4S were all leaked before release. So please tell me where you get this "Tim cook lack of security" thing from.

iPhone parts are made from many different company's not just one, that's why there are part leaks.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Funny how every day someone finds a new way/reason for Apple's ultimate demise

Much ado about nothing

12. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

Ok cool you don't recall them. Just because your memory sucks doesn't mean it didn't happen. The iPhone 4 was an open book before it was released, as was the 3GS. This isn't new.

13. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

I never said there weren't other leaked phones, I said this was the most leaked. Nearly every single day there's a new photo. Back with the 3G, we clinged to a couple of blurry photos for months.

And I don't know what Apple's internal size has to do with leaks from suppliers. If anything, as a bigger company, they should be able to exert tighter control.

My point remains; if your company leaked parts when Steve was running things, you risked the wrath of Steve personally. A ranting phone call from SJ went a long way towards getting things done.

14. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

When Apple continues to get larger more people become interested and give a damn what they put out next. Apple has more eyes on them now than they ever did back when the 3G was released.

15. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

True enough, but wouldn't that mean there was some benefit to leaking for those who leak? It seems like most leaks pop up on Asian forums and blogs first. Do you think people are getting paid for the leaks? If not, why risk your job, unless your job is not under risk.

16. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Yes.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

18. bogatyr macrumors 65816

What do leaks have to do with the quality of the phone? I couldn't care less if there are leaks or not as long as I enjoy the damn phone.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Damn, the amount of rationalizing in this forum is incredIble.

20. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

What's wrong with blanketing the earth with the products people want??? At least we (the consumer) get the devices sooner rather than waiting or having to go to scalpers or such like and overpay! I am all for supply rather than buzz/hype......for me the buzz is gone after the reveal keynote! Then I just want it in my hand asap...

21. chrmjenkins, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

A video of an iPhone 4 with the screen test image showed up from Vietnam prior to the iphone 4 launch. It was forgotten because Gizmodo had already covered the hell out of it.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/12/next-generation-iphone-escapes-in-vietnam/

The entire 4S logic board leaked, as well as the new parts, but since the design was mostly the same and we were distracted by a tapered design, they didn't get as much attention.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/26/photos-of-iphone-4s5-logic-board-suggest-a5-processor/

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Who cares?

The auto industry is rampant with leaks and no one ever has a period over it.

If people like it, they'll buy it, if they don't, they wont, and Apple will do something different next time around. That's really all there is to it.

23. ARSC macrumors 6502

Agree.

24. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Really OP. Who really cares ? Not me and most who have a life. ;)

25. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55