First "smart gun" gun goes on sale in California

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Feb 23, 2014.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

A .22 caliber pistol for $1,400 and to get the "smart" part of the weapon to work you have to spend another $400 to buy the watch. WHAT A DEAL!

So, for a home defense weapon you have to now keep the gun locked in one part of the house the ammo locked in another and the watch somewhere else. Also I don't know how long it takes to enter your pin into the watch.

Yea, this is going to work out well.. Be sure to tell the intruder to give you time to unlock your gun, ammo and put the watch on and enter the pin and hope the batteries are not low.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/tech/technology/new-smart-gun-hits-shelves-and-debate-in-america/article/372297

Quote: "A new "smart gun" has hit shelves in the US. Now questions arise as to whether this new safe technology will curb rampant gun violence or even take off on the market."

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Oh No .... A first gen product is ridiculously expensive. I've never seen that before. :rolleyes:

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Gun owners and their money have long easily been parted.

There you go raising the spectre of violent home-intruders. Remember the most likely person to get shot will be a member of the household be it a suicide attempt or assault on a female in the home. I'll fix the sentence for you;

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

iGun???

5. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I swear I didn't mean to shoot you, my gun must have been haxored!

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From the OP's article ...

:confused:

It's a long way from a dream.

A dream would be something like a Star Trek phaser that you could use to stun and incapacitate accurately from a distance.

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The rate of sales should prove to be entertaining. No useful purpose to this sort of childishness.

"There you go raising the spectre of violent home-intruders."

Yeah, you're right, .Andy. No rapist ever sneaked into a woman's residence and did the dirty deed.

8. Micky Do, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014

Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Stupid

In the end, a gun is only as smart as the person using it.

The idea of a "smart gun" could only come from a country with gun laws that belong in the dreamtime world of "wild west" and "goodies 'n' baddies" movies. Most of the world has long since moved on.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Where did I claim that?

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

let me know when it drops to $400 for the WHOLE package, till then I see no reason to buy it.

11. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

You do know you are talking about Germany?

12. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yeah, reminds me of E cigarettes. Without subsidies or taxes on traditional weapons, how do you get enough adaptation to matter?

13. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

TriggerSmart is another company working on a so-called "smart gun", or more specifically, a RFID smart gun...

14. lostngone, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014

lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Once this comes out in 9mm, .40 or .45 do you think the police should be required by law to use this technology?

EDIT: Sorry, missed an important word...

15. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

If I'm understanding the tech, the point is to prevent unauthorized uses away from the owner. You don't specify will be vs should be, but such a requirement would make little sense if unauthorized uses away from officers isn't a problem. But given the changes over the years to things like clubs and flashlight size, it's likely to click for someone at some point.

16. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

But it IS a problem, there are many documented cases where police officers have been over powered and had their service weapons taken from them and even used against them.

17. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

The final season of Southland covered this scenario. It's been months and I'm still trying to clean the images from my my brain. If 1) it is a problem and 2) the tech prevents it and 3) the tech doesn't introduce some new worse problem and 4) there is adequate training / implementation, then sure.

18. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I would say after all those concerns are met all law enforcement should be required to use this technology. After Five or six years of full adoption IF the technology is found to work then and only then should we concider it for the public use.

However we already know law enforcement will be exempt from these new laws.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Most rapes are conducted by someone known to the victim. A gun doesn't help there.

That's an issue for any self defence scenario.

20. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Unsure which laws you're describing. But many of my customers are LEOs. I would gladly pay more taxes in whatever form to cover the cost of making them substantially safer.

The public is trickier. It's one thing to hold back something people don't already have until there is a better version is available. It's another to hold back an improved version of something if the unimproved version can't be recalled and is already creating problems.

Public policy has to balance the risk of waiting vs the cost of not waiting. Like when new drugs come out and patients are desperate for them. Should they have to wait for testing that shows it's safe and effective, even while thousands are are already affected or should those willing to take the personal risk, have the opportunity.

21. tktaylor1, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I wonder if there is a gun like the one I saw in a James Bond film. The grip is somehow integrated with your palm/finger print so only you can shoot it. That seems like the best idea.

1) Only you can shoot it so there isn't any concern for a child to mess with it and accidentally go off.
    2) No concern about suicide from anyone besides the gun owner (which if the gun owner is contemplating suicide then they shouldn't be around guns anyway).
    3) No worries about a cop getting his gun taken during a struggle and the perpetrator shooting him.

If there isn't a technology like this then I suggest someone hop on that bandwagon and get rich.

On a side note, isn't there a law in New York City where all guns bought legally have to have ballistics ran on them with the owners information so if it used in a crime they can match the gun to ballistics samples? I don't see that being a too unreasonable request for everywhere. It makes the laws job easier. Just a thought.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I'm surprised they didn't invent a gun with some type of built in gyroscope. Maybe it'll prevent people from shooting themselves in the foot and make it slightly harder to shoot yourself in the head. At the very least it'll make a gun a little safer if a child gets their hands on it.

I haven't had to go through that, but my last gun purchase was in 08. I have heard talk about that years ago, but don't know if it's an actual law or not. I highly doubt it is.

23. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This as a home defence device is about as much use as a chocolate coffee pot! My handguns are near me, so is the ammo...i don't want to be messing around with an app and a PIN number at 3AM if some jerk breaks in here.

24. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Eraserhead, Google for "serial rapist".

I don't particularly object to the idea. Let those who want one buy one. If the police think it's a good idea, let them use the smart guns. However, from the standpoint of reliability, it violates the KISS principle.

Question: If a smart gun is the only gun available and its owner is injured, how can any helper actually help? Consider, say, a husband and wife, and he's hurt in the fray. She's helpless.

A defensive firearm must be 100% reliable. The more complexity, the lower the reliability.

25. thehustleman macrumors 65816

You act surprised.

California is known for having some of the absolute WORST gun laws in this country along with be York.