First thoughts - 15" BTO in hand

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmaier, Nov 16, 2016.

1. cmaier macrumors G3

Received my fully loaded BTO 15" (2TB SSD, the works) today. Some initial thoughts:

1) build quality is fantastic. Hinge feels like a really solid mechanism. No creaks, no flex, more impressive even than the previous model, which was no slouch.

2) keyboard: thought I would not like it, but it's fine. It is indeed "soundy." Not sure if it is louder or not, but it is certainly more noticeable because it sounds chunkier. The key travel doesn't bother me. I find it's counteracted by the fact that the whole key moves at once and doesn't wobble. It's a bit like pushing the old iPhone home button, but more compliant.

3) BUT: i keep hitting the touchbar by accident. I type fast and my fingers fly around - the ones that aren't going for keys. Sometimes I hit the touchbar. Or when I rest a hand while doing something on the keys with the other, i accidentally rest on the touchbar.

4) The touchbar looks great. Not pixelated. Easy to see from 45º angle. Seems to put useful options there, but unless you know what to expect you tend not to notice (especially since i am a touch typer and am looking at the screen). One thing that surprised me during setup was that the touchbar shows the text you are typing in password fields and such as you type, so you don't have to look at the screen.

5) Setup had only one hiccup. When it asked me for my wifi password the screen blanked and i couldn't get it back. Had to power down and up again. Fine ever since. I used carbon copy cloner to clone my old MBP and then used migration assistant during setup to copy over my stuff. Took about 2 hours.

6) weirdly, after setup, my iPhone thought i logged out of iCloud and turned off iCloud keychain. Not sure what that was about.

7) touch id is very fast. Thought i would only use my index finger, but added my thumb when i realize i often approach standing up and tried using the thumb by accident.

8) giant trackpad is great. No false reading from my palm, etc.

9) no graphic glitches, no speed hiccups, etc.

10) sleeve i got on amazon which was supposedly tailored to this machine is slightly too big and the machine floats around in it a bit. Waiting for incase to get its act together.

2. altaic macrumors member

3. cmaier thread starter macrumors G3

1775 MB/SEC write, 1919 MB/SEC read

4. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

500 gig hard drive

Attached Files:

5. altaic, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016

altaic macrumors member

Thanks! Hmm, I was expecting somewhat higher numbers. Was Spotlight indexing in the background? Or were there any other apps running that might have slowed it down?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 16, 2016 ---
    Interesting, is that also the 2TB? [ Edit: *facepalm* ]

6. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

I ran AJA on my 1TB with all maxed out upgrades.

Attached Files:

7. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

no its the 500 gig hard drive lol
    also, mine was ran with nothing running in background

8. altaic macrumors member

Lol, how did I miss that? Anyway, thanks.

9. cmaier thread starter macrumors G3

I'm sure it's indexing still.
    Ran it again. Now 1777/2300.
    One problem I am having is with right-clicks. I normally keep the setting for secondary click when you click the bottom right hand corner. But given the size of the trackpad, it's not very convenient. More importantly, whether i set it for two finger right-click or bottom right corner right-click, i keep getting incorrect right-clicks when i am actually left-clicking or tap-clicking. It's like it gets stuck in "right click" mode.

I've turned it off entirely and am ctrl-clicking for now (which i tend to usually do anyway).

Seems like a software issue, not hardware.

10. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

s
    Strange, I have mine for 2 fingers click or tap, and I don't experience the issue you described. I don't want to alarm you and make it seem like you have a defective unit, I just wanted to share my experience. It could very well be some kind of software issue, I know people are having problems with 3 finger drag. I personally feel 3 finder drag is weird and I prefer using the traditional click and drag method.

11. Macalway macrumors 68020

I just watched a great You Tube vid on these, gotta get one now :)

This model caused me some hesitation, with the touch bar. Didn't know what was what. (still don't :D)

12. cmaier thread starter macrumors G3

I think the problem is more with "lower right corner" than "2 finger." I think what's going on is that with 2-finger it is sometimes reading my palm as a second finger. When I'm very careful 2-finger seems to not have the problem.

Not sure what's up with lower-right-corner mode, though. And the definition of lower-right seems a little fluid. I am pretty sure it's some sort of software goofiness, combined with the gigantic size of the trackpad. I almost always ctrl-click anyway, so turning it off is fine for now.
    BTW, could also be that sometimes i am clicking through (force-clicking). Not used to that functionality since my old MBP had the mechanical trackpad, and while i sometimes use a magic trackpad i don't use it all that much. So the combination of giant trackpad, right-click weirdness with finding the lower right corner, and pushing a little too hard could be part of what's going on (though sometimes it happens when i tap and don't click, so...)