iPhone 7(+) First time I haven’t upgraded on my 2 year cycle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cornerexit, Sep 27, 2018.

1. cornerexit macrumors 6502

Decided today, want none of these new phones. Since the first iPhone I have upgraded every 2 years. Always worked out. Got my first iPhone for free (worked for carriers) and I’d buy/sell every upgrade until my 7. On the 7 offered $649 iirc, for my 6, so it made my upgrade to 128Gb 7, $150. Now nothing like that exists, and there is no SE size with full screen, and I’d pay for that, with no issue, and no carrier subsidies. $599, $699, etc would be price, which is fair.

So today I made an appointment to get a new battery at Apple for $29. Until they make what I want, a 6 size with full screen and Face ID, I’m riding this out.

2. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

I felt the same way when the X launched. I didn’t want anything bigger than the 7. But I got it anyway. Turns out it’s only very slightly taller. Width feels the same. And it’s now my favorite phone I’ve ever used (a title which was previously held by the 7).

Give the X a try. It’ll surprise you (in a good way). And if not, just return it within 14 days.

3. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Two things:
    1. Current year phones are overpriced. But Apple now offers previous phones with lots of storage for a relatively great price. They’re great phones, too.
    2. Your current phone is very good. If it sucked you'd probably be sucking it up and trying to get another one. It’s less that the current phones are undesirable and more that older phones remain sufficient. Overall a positive.

4. gemnilocs macrumors 6502

gemnilocs

i’ve had the 4, 5, 6, 6 plus and 7 plus...i got the X last year and by far it’s the perfect size for me...this the first time i haven’t or have the desire to upgrade my phone. i’m happy with it.

5. puma1552 Suspended

I'm so undecided myself. Have an 8 and love it.

Flirted with Max, decided, nah.

Flirted with Xs, decided with the whole Intel modem thing and all the issues people are having with that, nah. Also not sure I love the form factor for some reason? Love the glass, but something about the form factor doesn't quite do it for me? Got close to making a purchase anyway, went to the store, held Xs, and it did nothing for me, not to the tune of $1150.

Am now flirting with three options, Xr, another 8, or keeping my 8. Xr might be too large, and I don't like the lack of 3D touch even if that's the only downgrade from my 8. But also love my 8 enough to keep. But then in some sick twisted way I think I should grab a fresh 8, this time in 256 GB (which admittedly I don't need), and reset the clock on a new/fresh Qualcomm device and ride it our for the long haul...makes no sense, I know.

I think part of what it is with the new phones is the aspect ratio is weird on all of them which to me affects the way the phone looks from an aesthetic standpoint. An Xr in white would be a nice phone though, if it's not too large in the hand. But then again, Intel modem there too.

6. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Yeah, I really dig on the X size, the 6/7/8 always seemed a little cramped (in terms of content/info density), and I carried a Plus model for a while, but it always felt a touch too big physically, when I moved to an X the form factor to display to content ratios were all pretty perfect. Clearly, the new XSM has a ton of display area, but knowing the FF, I've opted to stick with my X (in fact, even skip this S cycle).

If you're using a 7, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the size, and the tech in the XS is pretty amazing and 3 generations beyond your current device (if you take a lot of photos, I'd highly recommend it).

7. imagineadam macrumors 65816

I'm in the same boat. Ive had the 4,5,6 and now 7 all at launch. My 7 is still a "rocket ship" as phill Schiller said at the keynote for the 7's processor at the keynote for speed and iOS 12 makes it even a bit faster. The X and Xs sure are nice but I paid $749 plus apple care plus for my 7. Dropping $1150 or so for a new phone that isn't much faster doesn't make sense to me at this point. My warranty is running out in a few days and luckily I sent it in for a new battery and its coming back tomorrow. I'm hoping for a promotion display in next years new iPhones. For now my 7 is perfectly fine and I can't wait to get it back with a brand new battery!

8. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

If not for a specific set of circumstances I'd still be using my launch day iPhone 5 on Sprint.

Instead, I'm on T-Mobile with an iPhone 6s+.

By the time we upgrade it'll probably be 3.5 years. Which is in our general time frame of 2 to 3.5 years.

But it won't be an iPhone. At least for me anyway. Nothing Apple has made since the iPhone 5 and iPhone SE has interested me very much.

9. cornerexit thread starter macrumors 6502

It’s still a bigger phone in every measurable dimension, and it weighs more. I always use a case/holster combo with belt clip. Being heavier, and the added width and length get exacerbated once in a case. To me the 6 or SE is the perfect size for portability. With a full screen (no bezels) screen real estate would significantly increase and would be the perfect size.
    I use Apple CarPlay in the car as I view driving while surfing the phone WORSE than drunk driving. My 7, in my case barely fits into my center console in the car (under arm rest), plugged in, and I have to put it in there diagonally and kind of cram it in there. X or Xs, I don’t even know if it would fit. Irrelevant to me anyhow as I just don’t want a larger phone anyway. Portability or ease of carry is as important as anything else about the phone.

The X, Xs, and Xsm, none of them have 5G LTE. So if I was going to suck it up, and drop $1149, for a phone, it damn well better have 5G LTE hardware as that kind of money would necessitate keeping it for 3-4 years. To me the X, Xs, and Xsm are obsolete the minute you swipe your card. Carriers are installing 5G LTE towers right now. My carrier has 5G LTE in select markets already so it’s only a matter of time.

And having owned all of them on the even numbers (no S models ever) I still believe Jobs was right on size. If he were alive I believe he, and I, would like a 6 or SE with a full screen with no bezels. Perfect size for daily carry. Many of us carry other stuff on our person necessitating the “right” sized phone. I’ve always seen the +, Xsm, even the Xr, as phablets. Great for use, real bad for every day carry.

With a new battery (and I’m ordering backup case/holsters) I figure I can ride this out 2 more years. Going bigger than the 7, no more SE, and I think they could have made a new SE like the Xr, means no money from me. I have to vote with my wallet. I’m not an Apple hater, but I’m honest. A grand plus? I’d rather give Apple that money for a new MacBook Air or MacBook, etc. It’s not just the money either. I work hard, and can afford pretty much whatever I want, relatively.

10. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Lol, you sound really confused, but I totally get how you feel. Good luck with whatever you decide though.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I admire your strength, I was going to do the same but I can not go a single year, much less two without updating.

12. Damon2 macrumors regular

I'm on a 7 and want to upgrade.

The reason I haven't is price, no phones worth £1000 and the lack of 128GB storage. And my 7s still in working order.

If I do upgrade, it's only because I have secured a discount.

13. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

If you have ATT, you can call into retentions and ask for the two year contract pricing which pretty much decreases the upfront price in half.

14. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

The weight is definitely noticeable. Sometimes I even feel like the X is a bit too heavy, as I hold my phone one-handed and rest it on my pinky. I seem to remember the 7 being extremely light. The X is noticeably heavy, although it does feel quite nice and very solid. Build quality impresses me just about every day. I love it.

15. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502a

I swear....I went through the exact same thought process today. I could have written your post! My 128GB 7 works for me. I love the size and light weight and it does everything I need. I’ve had it two years and am going to hang on to it for at least one more year. The battery health (maximum capacity) is sitting at 85%.....so I’m gonna do the $29 battery change before the deal expires at year end.

16. Ortiz83 macrumors 6502

I buy the new iPhone every year since the first iPhone came out. Did it again this year. Can’t wait to do it again next year.

17. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

The XR is an option. Big upgrade over your 7, and there is a 128 GB model.

That said, the 7 is an excellent performer with iOS 12.

I’m on my third year with my iPhone 7 Plus. Great phone and excellent all around performance.

18. aneftp macrumors 601

Money/price is the issue with many Americans who are used to “subsidized” $199/299 iPhones that were $650-750 msrp.

OP got in on the last true good deal. The $650 trade in credit back in Sept 2016 when iPhone 7 launched where all carriers were letting anyone trade in 2 year old 2014 iPhones 6 or newer.

Att stopped carrier subsidy In January 2016.

So good deals are very few and far in between especially for old customers. U only get good deals if u are switching phone companies. Or adding new lines.

So OP. Let’s get real here. The X/XS size is equivalent to the iPhone. 6/7/8 4.7 inch.

It’s money.

You can’t say you want a iPhone 6 size. Cause the iPhone X is very similar in size to iPhone 6.

Same thing for the xs max. It’s roughly same size physically as the iPhone plus 5.5 model.

I think there will be $200-300 gift card promos for the new iPhones come holiday season with the carriers. So the iPhone xs ($1000 plus the $200-300 gift card promo) will make the phones roughly $700-800.

And I bet OP still will be hesitant to buy the iPhone XS even with that promo. Cause OP is used to barely paying the phone.

19. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

That's cool, keep what you have if you're content with it. No reason to upgrade if you don't see the value.

20. lwilliams macrumors 6502

lwilliams

I have upgraded every two years since the original iPhone.....until last year. I was already carrying a 7 Plus. The 8 and the X did not really do much for me, so I kept using my 7 Plus.

I really did want a full screen large phone. So, with the Xs Max, I got what I wanted last year.

My wife was still using a 6. So I just move my 7 Plus to her and got the Max. She, kind of wants her 6 back ( still have it ).

So, I am glad I got the Xs Max. Hope I don't regret it next September. I also skipped the "s" series in the past.

21. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

While the new camera seems intriguing, I really can't imagine having an experience much better than I get with my current X. Sure it will be a new phone, but IMO the X was the game changer and its still a great phone. I'm going to wait until next year and see if something nice happens. If I wanted the larger phone that would be a different story.

22. John webstar44 Suspended

John webstar44

Will be keeping my old iPhone X and picking another iPhone xs max this christmas and run these till 5G becoming mainstream.

23. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

I have owned almost every iPhone excep the C and X line. I held off on X because I felt screen too small. I have the 8+ and was all-in on the XSM until I saw the price and held it. I am to the point I want a smaller phone and am willing to give a smaller (than the XSM/Plus) a year to see how I like it.

With the current RF issues we are seeing with the XS and XSM I am holding off to see how that plays out and may give the Xr a chance.

The X is VERY tempting but I have seem the improvements with the camera and want them. I will likely give the Xr a look and if video isn’t THAT bad on it may go that route for color (the Red 8 is so bad@$$), price, battery and size.. not too big and not too small.

24. Fanboi4life macrumors 6502

Fanboi4life

25. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Video will look great on the XR, aside from lack of true HDR, etc. People complaining about video resolution are barking up the wrong tree. Even on 1080p ~6" phone screen, 720p video looks very good (if encoded properly).

The main issue IMO is text quality. Generally in a movie or TV show, you are not trying read tiny text on screen. You may be looking at a giant talking head filling up 1/3rd of the screen. Contrast that to trying to surf on MacRumors in Safari. The entire screen is filled up with tiny characters. Now try to do this in another language like Chinese or Korean, where each individual word is not that much bigger than a single English letter. That's when the pixel density really matters.