First time Laptop user…what do I need?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac Write, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Mac Write macrumors member

With my October 2012 rMBP, I have entered the world of laptops for the first time. As I said in my other thread about that old episode of "Dotto's Data Cafe" he suggested must have accessories (and there was allot of them).

Fast forward 10 years and what are the essentials for todays Road Warrior? I assume the must haves have gotten smaller with the intergration of WiFi, modems, ethernet etc.

From what I can remember he did mention Retractable cables. I got a USB one at the time and it didn't work well at all.

Here is my must have list.
    • Thunderbolt to Ethernet
    • Ethernet cable
    • extra Power adapter
    • Micro fiber cloth
    • case (in my case the Boaq Bos Flow XL)
    • 1GB ($7.99 at Christmas 2007) Kingston traveler
    • 160GB 2.5 hard drive (from 2008 white Macbook)
    What else do I (or any Road Warrior) need?

2. mfram macrumors 65816

Some kind of video adapter in case you want to plug into something. Which one depends on what's most likely for you. Could be mDP to VGA or DVI plus cable. Or if you think you will plug into a TV, just get an HDMI cable.

My laptop bag contains extra iPhone/iPad cables, a nice external 1.5 TB USB3 drive (for media), a couple flash drives and SDcards, and headphones. I don't bother with an ethernet cable. Haven't really needed to use one on the road. Wi-Fi is king. I use wired ethernet at home, but not on the road.

3. Mac Write thread starter macrumors member

I have the mini Display port to DVI since I have the Apple Cinema 20 LCD (working to get the 2013 Thunderbolt Display, need to save for that). This means that my Firewire iSight doesn't work (I am legally blind and need the big monitor so I use my computer in clamshell mode).

At work we will replace our white iMacs when we move with either Thunderbolt Displays or iMacs. which means I will have a bigger monitor to use.

4. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

my list

• spare power adapter
    • bag
    • wired ethernet adapter
    • VGA or DVI adapter - projectors, etc.

That's it.

DOn't need a case, just look after the machine - the bag will do the job whilst it is in transit.