first time Mac buyer: Buying a 2011 macbook pro or waiting till 2012?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simswithguns, Oct 20, 2011.

  1. simswithguns macrumors newbie

    Oct 20, 2011
    Hey all,

    I'm currently a student but I'm graduating in December and my parents said they would help me get a macbook (no time limit on when necessarily). I have been a lifetime Windows user and I still like Windows, but my Toshiba is getting old and really needs to be replaced. Now I know that the new MBP's should be coming out in Feb or something like that. my question is do you think that I should wait to buy it when the new ones come out or should I get one before graduation when I can get my student pricing (only 100 bucks off at most). Also should I go ahead and buy software and other things that I would get the student discount on (MS office, stuff like that)? I'm looking into the 13 MBP, I really want a 15 MBP but its really expensive. My Toshiba from 2007, is a 17in. I love the big screen and full keyboard but it has insanely crappy battery life making it basically a portable desktop.

    I also want to know what everybody's opinion is on AppleCare, I've heard many different things

  2. simsaladimbamba

    Nov 28, 2010
    What you get, depends on your needs, which you haven't stated yet. But I presume, that the current generation of MBPs will do just fine for yours.

    You could also look into refurbs:

    MacRumors Guides: Apple Refurbished Store

    Apple Certified Refurbished Products

    If you want more information, here are just a few of many threads on this topic, found by searching the forum with MRoogle:
    Refurbished MBP or New?
    Getting an iMac - New or Refurbished?
    Refurbished vs new
    HELP: Refurbished 17" or New High End 15"?!
    Are Refurbished Macs as high quality their new counterparts?
    Do refurbished fail more often than new MBP's?
    New MPB or refurbished model?

    search results by GGJstudios

    And this about Apple Care:

  3. simswithguns thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 20, 2011
    I definitely will use my MBP for your standard web surfing, word processing, stuff like that. I also will probably start using recording equipment for my MBP. Another side note is I wouldn't mind it being capable of gaming, I haven't had a gaming capable PC in 5-6 years but its definitely not a necessity. I'm not sure how much Apple increases prices with every new year so even if i bought new 2011 vs 2012, am I gonna be saving a lot of money? Could I even get away with getting the student discount with the 2012 post graduation at an apple store or online?
  4. Erasmus macrumors 68030


    Jun 22, 2006
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    You can almost certainly get the discount, as nobody ever checks. On the teensy chance that you do get found out, you just get charged the difference between full price and discount.

    If you want it to play games well, the 6750M in the 15" is your best bet, obviously.

    Generally, Apple's notebook prices stay the same between updates, or drop slightly. If money is tight, you should wait for the next MBP release, and then see if you can afford a refurbished 15" 2.2GHz.

    Applecare is completely up to you. I haven't bothered getting applecare on my last two purchases, and it's worked out fine. I think refurbs still come with 12 mths warranty, but I'm not 100% sure. In my opinion, I think Applecare is way overpriced.
  5. MVRL macrumors regular


    Oct 17, 2011
    if you don't need one immediately, wait for ivy bridge, you won't be disappointed, but if you run things like pro tools..etc., don't wait, cuz Avid updates at a snail's pace.. you wouldn't want the newest machine that doesn't let you do your work.
  6. psykick5 macrumors 6502

    Sep 4, 2011
  7. JerZyT28 macrumors regular

    Jul 24, 2011
    Wife has a 2011 13" mbp, I have a 2011 15"....we both love them! I say DO IT will not regret it
  8. simswithguns thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 20, 2011
    I'm not in a hurry to get one, I would be waiting till December anyway to get it so unless there is a huge incentive to buy this years model I'm probably going to wait till they release the new ones.

    Playing games on it is not a requirement, it would just be nice. I'm not gonna go throw down 500 more bucks just so I can play some games on it.

    I'm not to worried about Pro tools, my school offers a nice discount on Logic so I'd be more likely to buy that.
  9. blackranger3d macrumors newbie

    Jul 5, 2011
    IMHO Refurb is the way to go. They are MBP without a box.
  10. eddieaus macrumors regular

    Feb 19, 2009
    there's a good chance the new redesigned MBP has no optical drive, which means you won't be able to install 2 HDDs in one laptop. if this is not important to you, then wait for the new MBP.
  11. simswithguns thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 20, 2011
    Well that would suck, but I guess everything is going digital anyway. I still plan on keeping the Toshiba around so if I really need a CD drive I have that. Plus I could always buy an external disk drive to use.

    It is a viable option, I just wish they were a little bit cheaper considering they are used (I know they are Apple certified and all that jazz but still...). Plus with my student discount its only 100 bucks cheaper than buying a new one so I i still want to wait for the new 2012, even if i just end up buying a 2011
  12. warvanov macrumors 6502a

    Oct 13, 2011
    As far as I know the refurbs come with the same exact warranty as the new ones. They're generally a good deal, but they aren't always available and obviously aren't available immediately following a new product release.

    I never bother with extended warranties, including Apple Care, but some people swear by Apple Care. It's basically a gamble: Are you willing to bet $250 that your new MBP is going to crap out in the next three years? My thinking is that if Apple is willing to make that bet against you, it's not a good bet for the consumer.

    There's supposed to be a minor refresh of the MBP line by the end of the month, and most people are speculating that we'll see a more significant update to the line in the spring with the introduction of Ivy Bridge processors. If you can wait for that, I suggest you do, but it'll probably mean an extra six month wait for you.
  13. kaydot macrumors regular

    Sep 15, 2011
    Since it's only a "good chance" on the redesign vs. Optical drive, one strategy you might take is to wait until the redesign just to see what they come up with. Then if it's missing a key feature (like an ethernet port or an optical drive) that you MUST have, then go buy a refurb 2011. The thought has crossed my mind since everyone is raving about the 2011 anyways.
  14. daftpunkstu macrumors member

    Oct 17, 2011
    I would look at the 2011 refurbs [​IMG] they will be more then fast enough for what you want. as for applecare, it's basically an extended warranty with tech phone support. Personally I don't get it but if you feel that their might be a problem you can't solve yourself then you may aswell go for it!
  15. simswithguns thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 20, 2011
    I think that is going to be my plan, or at least what I'm thinking so far. The Toshiba has been a little shaky this past month so hopefully it can survive another few months (the thing is gonna be 4 1/2 years old soon).

    I would consider a 2011 refurb or new one if my computer bites the dust but why buy something that is about to get a refresh in a few months if I can avoid it?
  16. simswithguns thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 20, 2011
  17. vitzr macrumors 68030


    Jul 28, 2011
    Sage advice. This is the wrong time to buy.

    Lion will be much more well sorted out. It's still too buggy now.


    I don't either, but I'm going to.
  18. simswithguns thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 20, 2011
    Well I'm hoping my Toshiba will hold out that long, its definitely seen better days though.

Share This Page